Reassurance about milk needed please

[ta...]

Hi

I have been on Diaz for over 9 years, I started to taper 18 months ago and got down to 8mg a week it was so haphazard tho I would sometimes space out and sometimes take all at the end off the week, I'd never been given a proper taper by docs and not read much online apart from snippets I just knew I had to cut down and get off, surprisingly I had virtually no problems and even got down to  4mg a week before my problems hit, it was only then I found this site and a uk charity called BAT who have been great, anyway I started to take regularly and some of my symptoms eased however my doctor refused me liquid so decided on milk after advise from this site. Iv changed to milk today (2mg tab in 20ml of whole milk split into 4, 5 ml then hold for a week then take 0.1 ml out a day then 0.2 ect) I know this sounds crazy and it must be in my head but felt panicky about it all day worrying the Diaz won't dissolve in the milk also when I took It I could taste the Diaz straight away even tho I let it dissolve 2 hrs and shook it loads, please someone tell me I'm over thinking this

Thank you

Hi

I have been on Diaz for over 9 years, I started to taper 18 months ago and got down to 8mg a week it was so haphazard tho I would sometimes space out and sometimes take all at the end off the week, I'd never been given a proper taper by docs and not read much online apart from snippets I just knew I had to cut down and get off, surprisingly I had virtually no problems and even got down to  4mg a week before my problems hit, it was only then I found this site and a uk charity called BAT who have been great, anyway I started to take regularly and some of my symptoms eased however my doctor refused me liquid so decided on milk after advise from this site. Iv changed to milk today (2mg tab in 20ml of whole milk split into 4, 5 ml then hold for a week then take 0.1 ml out a day then 0.2 ect) I know this sounds crazy and it must be in my head but felt panicky about it all day worrying the Diaz won't dissolve in the milk also when I took It I could taste the Diaz straight away even tho I let it dissolve 2 hrs and shook it loads, please someone tell me I'm over thinking this

Thank you

Yes, you're over-thinking this!  Many people have successfully tapered by dissolving thier tablets in milk. 

Personally, I think the vdka method is a better alternative, but it seems pretty clear that the milk method does work.

I think you are over-thinking it a bit. There is no reason to be worried that the valium isn't suspended (although some say dissolved) in the milk. Lots of people use this method without any problems. Just make sure you are keeping the liquid mixed well while you are measuring out your dose and you should be fine.

Just something for you to consider though - I personally prefer the 1mg in 100ml method. I just think it gives you a lot more "wiggle-room" when it comes to measuring your doses. The 2mg in 20ml does make quite a concentrated mixture, and if you're a little nervous about things to start with, then this could just make you a bit more worried that any minor measuring errors you make could be felt more with a more concentrated mixture.

I also think that using 100ml just makes measuring your dose so much easier because you are using a 10ml syringe instead of a 1ml syringe. For me, a 1ml syringe was just too small and hard to read. There is also less of a chance of tasting the valium in the extra milk. You'll still taste it, but it won't be quite as bad.

However, if the milk idea really has you worried you could try putting 1mg valium with 1ml vodka, letting it dissolve, topping up with 99ml of water (to make 100ml) and then reducing from there. I personally prefer the vodka method to the milk method, mainly because you don't have to worry about the mixture spoiling like you do with the milk.

Been using Milk for a year now - it works, don't worry. I was worried as well when I started, and when I pulled doses from my mix.

Congrats on getting down to 4mg  - huge progress!

Thanks for all the support. Iv noticed when I first mix the 20 ml then split to the 4 pots the last pot does not quite have 5ml in. it must be losing a tiny bit from shaking and from the syringe when transferring does this matter ? Thanks again for the advise

Another reason why I think it's better to use a larger amount of liquid and only using one container (ie not transferring the liquid too many times). That tiny amount you are missing from your fourth container could have enough valium missing from it to be felt because you are using quite a concentrated mixture. If it was less concentrated, losing a tiny bit wouldn't be so crucial.

Thank you that makes sense, so if I put one 2mg tab into 100ml I'd then split it to 4 25ml pots ? How much would I take out each day ? Thanks again for advise

I'm a big believer in keeping all math calculations and procedures as simple as possible.

I would put just 1mg (half the 2mg tablet) in the 100ml. That keeps the math very simple. There is no issue with splitting the tablet as long as you use up the other half within 24-48 hours. I split my tablets all the way from 5mg down to 1mg and never had a problem.

Once you've got your 1mg in the 100ml, than all you have to do is work out over how many days you want to reduce the 1mg. Let's use 50 days as an example - that would mean you would need to reduce 2ml per day (100ml ÷ 50 days = 2ml reduction per day). It makes the whole process very simple and (almost) foolproof. Just remember to divide the 100ml by the number of days you want to reduce the 1mg.

If you want to read the method I used in more detail you can check out the link I have in my signature below.

I'm a bit confused though as to why you are splitting your mixture into 4 different pots. I get that you are probably dosing 4 times a day, but I don't think it's that necessary to transfer the mixture again into 4 different containers. Each time you transfer to a new container you risk losing some of your dose.

What I would do is just measure out how much you need to drink that day and then just eyeball a quarter of the mixture each time you want to dose. Then with your last dose you can fill the container with water, swish around and drink, and that will make sure you get every bit of your dose. At the end of the day you are going to get the full amount anyway, so each quarter of the dose doesn't need to be totally precise.

Now all this is assuming you want to reduce over all 4 doses evenly. That's fine if you want to do that, but not everyone needs to do that, or wants to do that. Some people prefer to just reduce one dose at a time. If you decided you wanted to do that, then you could drink the full amount of milk mixture without needing to split it.