How do you cope with Social Anxiety once off benzos?

[br...]

Has anyone in here been prescribed benzos for Social Anxiety and are now off the benzos? If so how do you cope with your SA? I noticed that I was less anxious pre benzos than I am now as I'm tapering.  I used to take klonopin as needed like for job interviews etc and that is how I was able to get through major anxiety provoking situations.  I was placed on 1.5 mg of klonopin daily for severe insomnia and working one weaning off it. I know that once I get off of this I can no longer take it as needed for fear of being addicted once again. So my question is what do we do  after we are off this stuff? :D

Has anyone in here been prescribed benzos for Social Anxiety and are now off the benzos? If so how do you cope with your SA? I noticed that I was less anxious pre benzos than I am now as I'm tapering.  I used to take klonopin as needed like for job interviews etc and that is how I was able to get through major anxiety provoking situations.  I was placed on 1.5 mg of klonopin daily for severe insomnia and working one weaning off it. I know that once I get off of this I can no longer take it as needed for fear of being addicted once again. So my question is what do we do  after we are off this stuff? :D

Lori took klonopin for the same reason. You may want to find her blog, to see what she is going to be doing to help with her anxiety. I'm sure she'll stop by tomorrow. You may also want to visit the Anxiety and Panic board and see if you can find some help there, here's the link to that...http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=58.0  Most people recommend Cognitive Behavior Therapy for anxiety so look into that. There are quite a few books/manuals on that subject.

Hi Brite7,

I developed SA during tolerance and withdrawal and still suffer from it now.

I'm very interested in CBT and have noticed that many sufferers and (good) doctors suggest it.

Although I admit I don't have direct experience of it, it seems like a very good skill to learn and is often very successful in treating SA/agoraphobia.

I am holding off this therapy until after my taper as, although it has proved very successful for many people, it can be difficult to learn during benzo tapering & w/d due to the side effects of the benzo (namely brain-fog, memory impairment).

I hope you find some good info on this,

I'll be looking into it too!,

all the best,

b

Hi Brite,

Yep, CBT's efficacy has been proved for social phobias and anxiety. It is really a spin-off of Albert Ellis' book on rational emotive therapy, which I read cover-to-cover to in the eighties. CBT, or cognitive behavior therapy, came along shortly afterward, conceived Dr. Aaron Beck, who improved and refined REB's tenets.

CBT is really not "hard" to learn. More than anything else it is based on sound logic, self-talk, and reasoning.

Ten

I was put on SSRI's for my SA and it did wonders for me. I felt like a new person...started my own business, it was awesome.

So if you are not opposed to taking an SSRI, that really helps too.

Dawnie

I was put on Klonopin for a panic disorder. It makes me kind of scared to go off the Klonopin too. However, I've noticed that the Klonopin isn't working all that well anymore. Yesterday I took more Klonopin than I should have and still would up with a panic attack. What is comes down to is that I am at a point where Klonopin does no good. I may still have to put up with anxiety/panic, but eventually I will be free of benzos.

Hey Brite,

At this time, I don't have a whole lot of suggestions for social anxiety. I have been to one CBT session and we just talked about the "anxiety voice." I really want to talk to the dr. about social anxiety and anticipatory anxiety next week at my second session. ANYTHING I learn, I will share with you. I have had social anxiety since I was very young. I love people and getting to know people, but my self-esteem is low and I worry about them being able to tell that I struggle just talking to them. I don't know if I worry about them judging me, or if it's that I can't control their thoughts or actions???? Don't totally understand it yet, but when the lightbulb goes on, I will let you know. I went on klonopin to help with the social anxiety and it did, till tolerance reared it's ugly head. Some SSRI's are able to help with social anxiety, but I think with any of the SSRI's, one should also do the CBT to learn skills to change distorted thinking habits. Take care....

Lori :smitten:

Great question -- I'm in tolerance wdrl, new here, and originally prescribed xanax for panic disorder. The question that keeps nagging me is how will I tolerate the anxiety once i start going through real wdrl. I've heard CBT is the way to go. Also, one thing that helped me a lot when I cold-turkeyed xanax (no insurance at the time), was a book called "The Relaxation Response." Involved mediation and ability to invoke a relaxed state when needed. I have to find that book. Any good books on CBT that you'd recommend?

Best to you,

Aloha

• 1 month later...

Just to add my two cents worth I found this book good:

mind over mood by Dennis Greenburge or greenburger (cant remember which) and Christine Padesky

Hope that helps

spring xx