Advice on clonazepam to diazepam substitution schedule

[op...]

Hi there. I've been posting in "Welcome to the Forum" but figured this was better suited to this board.

So my pdoc is switching me (at my request) from 2mg of clonazepam to 40mg diazepam per the Ashton schedule. I can't seem to find a schedule that exactly matches my dosing (1mg clon AM/1mg clon PM) so I've devised this as it seems most people take about 2 weeks to switch over. I figured I could do smaller cuts and substitutions within the weeks:

START: AM 1mg clon | PM 1mg clon

Stage 1 (1-2 weeks): AM 1mg clon | PM 0.5 mg clon, 10 mg diaz

Stage 2 (1-2 weeks): AM 0.5 mg clon, 10 mg diaz | PM 0.5 mg clon, 10 mg diaz

Stage 3 (1-2 weeks): AM 20mg diaz | PM 20 mg diaz

And then start a 10% taper off the diazepam every 10-14 days taper from there?

I can do a cut between Stages 1 & 2 so I am on 0.25mg clon/ 15 mg diaz in either/both AM or PM if anyone here recommends. Does this look like a reasonable schedule to switch? Too cautious? Not cautious enough?

Thanks so much,

Ophelia

Hi there. I've been posting in "Welcome to the Forum" but figured this was better suited to this board.

So my pdoc is switching me (at my request) from 2mg of clonazepam to 40mg diazepam per the Ashton schedule. I can't seem to find a schedule that exactly matches my dosing (1mg clon AM/1mg clon PM) so I've devised this as it seems most people take about 2 weeks to switch over. I figured I could do smaller cuts and substitutions within the weeks:

And then start a 10% taper off the diazepam every 10-14 days taper from there?

I can do a cut between Stages 1 & 2 so I am on 0.25mg clon/ 15 mg diaz in either/both AM or PM if anyone here recommends. Does this look like a reasonable schedule to switch? Too cautious? Not cautious enough?

Thanks so much,

Ophelia

Hi Ophelia,

You did a great job in preparing your schedule for the crossover!! I would just add another stage in between Stage 2 and Stage 3 by dropping the .50mg clono at night and make it 20mg Diazepam, wait a week or two, then drop the last .50mg of clono and be at 40mg of diazepam. I'm not sure about dropping while crossing. As we always say, let your body be your guide.

T2 :smitten:

Thanks so much for the quick response, Theresa!

So here is my revised schedule with your recommendation figured in:

And then start a 10% taper off the diazepam every 10-14 days taper from there.

Thanks so much,

Ophelia

Hi Ophelia,

You did a great job in preparing your schedule for the crossover!! I would just add another stage in between Stage 2 and Stage 3 by dropping the .50mg clono at night and make it 20mg Diazepam, wait a week or two, then drop the last .50mg of clono and be at 40mg of diazepam. I'm not sure about dropping while crossing. As we always say, let your body be your guide.

T2 :smitten:

Thanks so much for your quick response, Theresa! Here is the revised schedule, with your recommendation added in:

Stage 3 (1-2 weeks): AM 0.5 mg clon, 10 mg diaz | PM 20 mg diaz

Stage 4 (1-2 weeks): AM 20mg diaz | PM 20 mg diaz

And then start tapering? I know Dr. Ashton tapers as she switches, but it seems being more cautious and waiting too see how the switch goes might be best. It all looks so easy and neat on paper. Please let there not be a whole host of withdrawal symptoms lurking within my pretty table!  ;D

Ophelia

Eeek. Sorry about that. I meant to post THIS only:

Thanks so much for your quick response, Theresa! Here is the revised schedule, with your recommendation added in:

And then start tapering? I know Dr. Ashton tapers as she switches, but it seems being more cautious and waiting too see how the switch goes might be best. It all looks so easy and neat on paper. Please let there not be a whole host of withdrawal symptoms lurking within my pretty table!  grin

Ophelia

Sorry about that!

Eeek. Sorry about that. I meant to post THIS only:

And then start tapering? I know Dr. Ashton tapers as she switches, but it seems being more cautious and waiting too see how the switch goes might be best. It all looks so easy and neat on paper. Please let there not be a whole host of withdrawal symptoms lurking within my pretty table!  grin

Ophelia

Sorry about that!

No problem, I understood just fine. This looks great. If Dr. Ashton does some tapering while switching, you could try it. Like I said, you just have to see how things go and adjust as you go. Wishing you much success on your crossover and journey ahead!!  :thumbsup: Keep us updated!!