Titration taper plan for clonazepam

[mn...]

Hi

I am about to start my taper using the milk titration. I have been using .50 mg for almost a year. Can anyone suggest a taper schedule for this dose that will help minimize the withdrawal symptoms. Are there any herbs or supplements I can take to help with insomnia (kava tea, valerian etc.?) I have the 50 and 100 ml graduated cylinders. Is 1- 2 ml taper a day to fast of a taper.

Hi

I am about to start my taper using the milk titration. I have been using .50 mg for almost a year. Can anyone suggest a taper schedule for this dose that will help minimize the withdrawal symptoms. Are there any herbs or supplements I can take to help with insomnia (kava tea, valerian etc.?) I have the 50 and 100 ml graduated cylinders. Is 1- 2 ml taper a day to fast of a taper.

If it were me I'd put the .5mg pill into 50ml full fat whole milk and split my dose, probably three a day.  I'd hold for at least a week to get used to liquid dosing then begin cutting when ready at either .001mg (.1ml)  or maybe .0015mg (.15ml) per day, holding only if symptoms were increasing.  I would not try to maintain any schedule, but rather go by symptoms and how I felt.

Bump

I'm at .65 really would like a liquid taper plan off k. I'd like to be off in 6 months.....

Getting off .65mg K in six months might be tough, although it ultimately is dictated by how quickly you heal.  Generally speaking I'd be thinking more like a year.  It is not good to schedule a benzo taper as pushing through symptoms can lead to trouble.

But I would do similar to the previous poster, i.e., get the K into liquid form, give some time to adjust, then begin reducing at probably .0015mg per day.  That is where I would start.

Thanks for the reply SG57. I tried to cut 2 ml every other day. By the time I hit an 8 ml cut I was in trouble. 4 days of hell in row before I decided to throw in the towel and start all over. Going to go much slower this time. Went back to my original .50mg dose to stabilize for a few days. Now I am ready to start the taper but going to go much slower this round. 

Thanks for the reply SG57. I tried to cut 2 ml every other day. By the time I hit an 8 ml cut I was in trouble. 4 days of hell in row before I decided to throw in the towel and start all over. Going to go much slower this time. Went back to my original .50mg dose to stabilize for a few days. Now I am ready to start the taper but going to go much slower this round.

You put .5mg into 50ml and then tried to cut 1ml a day?!  No wonder you felt bad.  A good place to jump in at your dose is .001mg per day.  That would be .1ml per day.  Give it a few weeks to see how you do on that.

Thanks SG57 You seem to know a lot about the liquid taper plan. Your knowledge is priceless. So if I cut .1 ml a day and do not have to hold at any point I am looking at a 500 day tapering process is that correct? That seems like quite a long taper but I will follow this to avoid the withdrawals as much as possible. Is there anything that you can recommend for sleep. 4 hours or less a day is really making it hard to continue working on a consistent basis. Thanks again for your wealth of information.

Thanks SG57 You seem to know a lot about the liquid taper plan. Your knowledge is priceless. So if I cut .1 ml a day and do not have to hold at any point I am looking at a 500 day tapering process is that correct? That seems like quite a long taper but I will follow this to avoid the withdrawals as much as possible. Is there anything that you can recommend for sleep. 4 hours or less a day is really making it hard to continue working on a consistent basis. Thanks again for your wealth of information.

Tell me your details.  I can't help much without them.  How much K?  How much milk?  The "ml" number means little without knowing how much K is in it.

Thanks for the kind words.

I am the guy that is on .50 mg clonazepam for insomnia, and anxiety related to lack of sleep. Using the 50 ml cylinder and was cutting 1 ml a day and ran into severe wd problems on the 8th day.You recommended that I cut .1 ml a day. That would equal about a 500 day tapering process if I do not have to hold at any point correct? Do you know of any herbal or supplements that can be taken during the taper to help with the insomnia?

Sleep is a tough one.  I still struggle with it and never had a problem prior to tapering.  Nothing helped me so I just use good sleep hygiene and deal with it while waiting for better sleep to return.  But there are certainly a lot of things to try for sleep.  There is a support thread devoted to sleep.

Okay, .5mg into 50ml.  That's .01mg/ml.  So .1ml would be a .001mg cut.  If you never increased or held it would take 500 days, but odds are you will be able to increase quite a bit.  The .001mg cut is just a starting point to be tested for a few weeks.  If good you can then increase to maybe .0015mg, test, repeat, test repeat.  Up the ladder.  See?  This way you can find your best cut without crashing.

Thanks again SG. Would probably be in wd hell if it were not for your benzo knowledge. I wish doctors knew as much about benzos as you do. Most of them are useless when it comes to a taper plan. Mnypit08