Four and a half months past my taper

[ja...]

Hello all. I haven't posted for some time because I didn't have anything to say. I was just waiting it out and hoping things would get better. I was starting to feel that things were lightening up a few weeks ago. It seemed like my anxiety was less pronounced than previously. For the past two weeks however, it's been a very difficult time again, with lots of pacing back and forth because I feel so anxious. I'm usually able to fall asleep, but I don't stay asleep for long. It's been four and a half months since my taper ended at the end of September. I only took the lorazepam for a month anyway and that was every other day. A psychiatric nurse has suggested to me that my protracted withdrawal symptoms are unusual for someone who wasn't on benzos for very long, but she said some people are more sensitive than others. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Recap: I took 0.5mg lorazepam every other day for a month in August. I did a quick Taper and cut the dose in half by the end of September, then quit. Too fast a taper, I found out.

Hello all. I haven't posted for some time because I didn't have anything to say. I was just waiting it out and hoping things would get better. I was starting to feel that things were lightening up a few weeks ago. It seemed like my anxiety was less pronounced than previously. For the past two weeks however, it's been a very difficult time again, with lots of pacing back and forth because I feel so anxious. I'm usually able to fall asleep, but I don't stay asleep for long. It's been four and a half months since my taper ended at the end of September. I only took the lorazepam for a month anyway and that was every other day. A psychiatric nurse has suggested to me that my protracted withdrawal symptoms are unusual for someone who wasn't on benzos for very long, but she said some people are more sensitive than others. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Recap: I took 0.5mg lorazepam every other day for a month in August. I did a quick Taper and cut the dose in half by the end of September, then quit. Too fast a taper, I found out.

Hi jack sprat,

Sorry to hear that you are still suffering this far out. Have you had things checked out by your regular doctor? Hormones can sometimes cause the symptoms you are having. Others should be stopping by to share their experiences. Hope you feel better soon!

T2 :smitten:

Yo JP:

As that is very unlikely (well, extremely unlikely) to be the cause, get yourself a thorough check up. Could be thyroid, early and easily treatable diabetes...

It could be a myriad of things.

Get checked out bro.

Ten

Thanks for responding. The idea for a checkup seems to make sense, and I think I will do that. 

However, what is said to be "extremely unlikely" to be the cause of my continued symptoms? The lorazepam? The usual course for "protracted" anxiety symptoms can be a year, according to Ashton. She describes this as "gradually diminishing over a year." I'm very surprised that this is happening to me with my short benzo history, but it doesn't seem unprecedented. 

Thanks for your time and effort.

Jack

Recap: I took 0.5mg lorazepam every other day for a month in August. I did a quick Taper and cut the dose in half by the end of September, then quit. Too fast a taper, I found out

Thanks for responding. The idea for a checkup seems to make sense, and I think I will do that. 

However, what is said to be "extremely unlikely" to be the cause of my continued symptoms? The lorazepam? The usual course for "protracted" anxiety symptoms can be a year, according to Ashton. She describes this as "gradually diminishing over a year." I'm very surprised that this is happening to me with my short benzo history, but it doesn't seem unprecedented. 

Thanks for your time and effort.

Jack

Recap: I took 0.5mg lorazepam every other day for a month in August. I did a quick Taper and cut the dose in half by the end of September, then quit. Too fast a taper, I found out

Hi Jack,

It just doesn't seem that likely since you were on it for a short time at a lower dose. Let us know what you find out at the doctor's, okay?

Take care!

T2 :smitten:

Hi jack sprat,

The only thing I learned about benzo's during my time on and off of them was there is no normal.  Anything is possible when it comes to withdrawal symptoms.  Heck, I'll bet there are probably more symptoms out there that no one has documented yet!

It took me 14 months to finally be free of the w/d, of course my length, dosage and CT played a huge role in this, but don't assume anything where these nasty little pills are concerned.

Having said that, I agree with T2 and Ten, get it checked out.  If the Dr can't find anything, chalk it up to w/d and try to work through it.  You will heal, I promise!

Pam

Thanks for the feedback. I have made an appointment with my doctor for a complete exam. I would like to mention that I've always been particularly sensitive to substances. Even fish oil appeared to give me anxiety problems once, which may not be as crazy as it sounds since it's believed to act as an anti-depressant, and anti-depressants can cause anxiety. Other supplements, like kelp (iodine) also caused me some problems but those ended when I stopped the supplements. I'm not the only person here with a problem obviously, but if anyone else has some thoughts on this I'd like to hear it. Thanks.

Recap: I took 0.5mg lorazepam every other day for a month in August. I did a quick Taper and cut the dose in half by the end of September, then quit. Too fast a taper, I found out. Still having anxiety symptoms four and a half months later.

Hi Jack,

I am 6 months off Xanax and have gotten surprised several times post-benzos with symptoms that pop up, encluding the anxiety.  Some nights I sleep great and other nights I wake up real early with frequent awakenings throughout the night.  I am unable to lie there quietly after awakening because of some mild hyperventilation and anxiety.  I do agree that it will take a year to  be healed (and then maybe even a little longer).  I also had alot of bloodwork done post-benzo and everything was find except for a depletion in Vit. D.  Glad you are getting checked out to be on the safe side.  Wishing you the best.

Patty  xo

• 1 month later...

Hi Patty. Thanks for asking. I would say things seem to be generally lightening up a bit. As I mentioned on March 19,  I haven't done much pacing around recently for example. I don't want to commit to anything though. I know how the benzo experience can circle back on you as soon as you think you're on the mend.

I'm also not jumping at the opportunity to take seroquel, as my doctor advised. I have had enough problems with the lorazepam he gave me.  Taking benzos really shakes your faith in doctors. I'm glad your sleep has much improved. Mine has also, but not as much as I'd like so far.

Jack

Recap: I took 0.5mg lorazepam every other day for a month in August 08.  In September, I did a quick Taper, spacing the pills further apart for a month and  cutting the overall dose in half by the end of September, then I quit. The taper was too fast and disorganized, I found out. I shouldn't have spaced out the pills but instead taken a dosage everyday and cut back slowly from that. 

Hi JS

I again am amazed that someone can be suffering from w/d for so long after only taking these drugs for such a short period of time, blown away actually. And it just shows you the dangers of all these drugs and how little we actually know what they can do to us. Have you researched Seroquel at all? I just hope that you aren't setting yourself up for more torture from these dang psychotropics and they are ALL dangerous. IMO and with much experience of being on so many of these nasty meds it's not easy to get off most of them.

Best of Luck to you :)

Thanks Skooter. Blown away is a good way to put it. Taking seroquel (whatever its merits) is not high on my agenda after my benzo experience. It is so ironic and weird that these drugs (benzos) are legal and commonly prescribed. I can't think of any legitimate reason for them other than an ER type of psychiatric emergency, with very short term use and alternative treatment provided almost immediately.