1997 Harvard paper: Ethical and Legal Dimensions of Benzodiazepine Prescription

[La...]

What's clear to me is that there's an awareness of certain issues arising from benzodiazepine use. There are positives and negatives in using it, but the paper seems to focus on the relationship between the psychiatrist and the patient. I believe it's more likely that the prescriptions are made by GPs, but perhaps back in 1997, that wasn't the case.

There's a section on "informed consent", which mentions signing a paper and ensuring that the patient really understands what they're taking. I'd venture to guess that many of us weren't informed like this.

What's especially interesting and even surprising to me is that such a paper was written at all! There was an awareness that someone might be sued over benzodizepines, and suggestions were given as to how to avoid that and how to defend oneself. I guess it's possible that there are similar documents for different kinds of psychiatric medications, but I never researched that.

I started with a GP, in fact most of mine were written by a GP.

my GP was my disaster, never saw a psychiatrist in all my life. :(

thanks for posting Lapis.

There are so many important questions to ask:

Was there knowledge (on the part of the doctor) of the possibility of dependence on these drugs?

Was there knowledge of the recommended indications of short-term use for this class of medications?

Was there knowledge of the possibility of a lengthy, uncomfortable withdrawal syndrome following cessation?

Did the pharmaceutical companies provide clear, truthful information to doctors on all of the above?

Were there other viable options available to the doctor at the time of prescription?

Before the patient took the medication, was s/he given detailed information about side effects and withdrawal effects and then did s/he give "informed consent"?

What role does the pharmacist play when benzodiazepine prescriptions are repeated?

As I read and research and listen to others on here, I wonder about all of these things.

This is important, and I plan on using it in the letters I am going to write to the hospital, my former GP and NP, and former psychiatrist, none of whom explained anything nor gave me anything that would have documented informed consent.

Sometimes lighting a candle when it's most dark is the best thing to do.

You may also be interested in the British National Formulary update (Nov. 2013) on benzodiazepines, which is posted here in the news section. It refers to a withdrawal syndrome that can last 6-18 months.