Lorazepam

[ki...]

Tainf 0.5 mg Lorazepam every 8 hours.  Need a slow tapering schedule.  I don't want to involve any other meds with the taper .  Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks!

Tainf 0.5 mg Lorazepam every 8 hours.  Need a slow tapering schedule.  I don't want to involve any other meds with the taper .  Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks!

Hi kindness,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!! We recommend cutting approximately 10% off your total daily dose every 7-14 days. Most here manage to cut their .50mg tablet into 1/4s (.125) and reduce by that amount every week or two. If after a while that becomes intolerable, we can help you with titration. Titration just involves crushing your tablet and mixing with milk and removing a very small amount every day. Anymore questions, just ask!

T2 :smitten:

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, kindness.  ;D

I tapered off 3 mg of lorazepam last year.  When I was on 1.5 mg/day, I reduced my dose by 1/2 of a .5mg tablet (= 0.25mg).  That's more than 10%, of course, but it was okay.  I waited a full 2 weeks between dose reductions and I think that helped.  When I got to 1.25mg, I changed to reducing by 1/4 of a .5mg pill (= 0.125mg) very 2 weeks to the end, as you can see in my signature block below.  Some people switch to the titration method if things get too rough, which sometimes happens towards the end for some reason.  Of course, you could use that method at the beginning if you want to.  You can read about it and see a video here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=6393.0

Just let us know what you want to know and how we can help.

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I was actually started on Lorazepam 0.5mg two times daily for the muscle relaxant aspect of thee drug.  I had disc issues in my cervical (neck) area and I was constantly tensing the muscles in my upper back and shoulders.  Longstory short, I tapered off of the med too quicly and ended up with some major wihdrawal symptoms...rracing heart, high anxiety, twitching/trembling muscles.  So now the docotr has instructed me to "reload".  i am taing o.5 mg every 8 hours as of5 days ago.  i am beginning to get a slight vibration sensation in my arms and legs again, and my body definitely tells me when it's getting close to the 8 hour mark.  Would it be foolish to start cutting down by 0.125 every day ffor 2  or 3 wees at this point?  The neck problems are resolved, but now I just want to get off this med in the proper way.  thans for your input...I really appreciate it.

Hey kindness,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! I was wondering how long you were on the Lorazepam before you tapered off of it too quickly the first time? And, how much exactly are you taking now, each day? You said .5mg every 8 hours, so is that 2 or 3 times a day?

Would it be foolish to start cutting down by 0.125 every day ffor 2  or 3 wees at this point? 

We recommend cuts of .125mg every 7-14 days, depending on how you feel. Some wait a bit longer if symptoms are not tolerable. Have you ever read the Ashton Manual? It is full of a ton of info about benzos, tapering, and withdrawals. I always say that knowledge is power and having power keeps you positive in this journey to benzo freedom. Here is the link:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

Any other questions, just ask. Make yourself at home here. You are amongst people who understand and can relate to what you are going thru and want to see you succeed!

Lori :smitten:

I just recently finished my lorazepam taper.  That is one potent little pill......

I started with dry cutting until I got down to .375mg a day, then switched to titration.  I just couldn't cut those little pills any smaller.

At the end of my taper and now I am experiencing the muscle pain in the neck and upper back.  It is bearable, but not comfortable.  It will take time for the body to heal.  So just a heads up that the muscle problem may return a bit before it totally disappears.  

Hey kindness,

I have read that benzos shouldn't be taken for more than 2-4 weeks in a row, but then I have also read that 2 months is the longest time period suggested. Either way, your being on the Lorazepam for 3-4 months is long enough that you need to do a slow and steady taper. You very well could think of titrating, as CAL suggested. If not, here could be a typical schedule that we would recommend for you:

.5mg am/ .5mg afternoon/.5mg pm

.375mg am/.5mg afternoon/.5mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.375mg am/.375 mg afternoon/.5mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.375 mg am/.375 mg afternoon/.375mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.25mg am/.375mg afternoon/.375mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.25mg am/.25mg afternnon/.375mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.25mg am/.25mg afternoon/.25mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.125mg am/.25mg afternoon/.25mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.125mg am/.125mg afternoon/.25mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.125mg am/.125mg afternoon/.125mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.125mg afternoon/.125mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

.125mg pm (hold for 7-14 days)

Benzo Free!

We usually recommend cutting on your pm dose last, to help with sleep. And, we highly recommend to take you doses at the SAME time everyday and not to updose (sneak a little) if you are having some strong withdrawal symptoms. They will pass and your "windows" will come.

Cal and Lori- thank you for the great suggestions/thoughts.  I am goimg to propose the schedule that you posted to my doc.

I am so grateful for the support.

Kindness

Hey kindness,

It is a pleasure to be able to help others in their fight against benzos! Please let us know what your dr. thinks about the taper schedule. Don't be too surprised if he/she thinks it is a bit slow. Hopefully, your dr. will agree to it and will give you enough refills to do it. If you have any other questions, just ask!

Hi Kindness and welcome.  I was tapering at the rate of 7 days, but have slowed it down to 14 days on these last few milligrams of valium.  I hated to do so, but I also did not want to end up in a rush and thus aggravate my current symptoms.

You can do this and we will walk along side of you to help in any way we can.

Missy

Hi.  I have started my taper from Lorazepam 0.5 mg every 8 hours.  I cut my morning dose to .375 mg and remained on 0.5mg for afternoon and bedtime dose for 8 days.  3 days ago i did second cut (.375 for am and afternoon dose), and kept bedtime dose at .50 mg.  Felt a bit nervous/edgy last evening and then woke up at 4 this AM and took my .375 dose.  Stomach not quite right today and feeling a bit anxious.  Definitely think these are withdrawal symptoms.  I'd like to ride this out and not make another cut for at least 2 weeks.  Can anybody give me a hint as to whether I'm likely to feel better or worse tomorrow,and  the next day...etc.  Thanks!

Hi.  I have started my taper from Lorazepam 0.5 mg every 8 hours.  I cut my morning dose to .375 mg and remained on 0.5mg for afternoon and bedtime dose for 8 days.  3 days ago i did second cut (.375 for am and afternoon dose), and kept bedtime dose at .50 mg.  Felt a bit nervous/edgy last evening and then woke up at 4 this AM and took my .375 dose.  Stomach not quite right today and feeling a bit anxious.  Definitely think these are withdrawal symptoms.  I'd like to ride this out and not make another cut for at least 2 weeks.  Can anybody give me a hint as to whether I'm likely to feel better or worse tomorrow,and  the next day...etc.  Thanks!

Hi kindness,

What you are experiencing is typical for withdrawal symptoms. It is impossible to know if you will feel better or worse tomorrow, as it is so different for everyone. Waiting the two weeks is a good idea as it usually gives your body time to heal some before cutting again.

T2 :smitten:

Hi kindness,

Try and keep your doses the same time every day.  Even though I would wake up at say 3 am I would wait until 6 am to take my morning dose.  I know it is hard but that is the way to go.  You will have w/d symptoms and at times it is very unpleasant but this is what happens while tapering.  Try and get through it minute by minute and day by day.  Usually after a cut you will have a few days of feeling icky and then a few days of feeling halfway decent where you may be able to function better during the day.  Keep up the good work.

Patty  xo

Hey kindness,

You are doing great!!! GI symptoms and anxiety are very typical with withdrawals. I think it is wise for you to wait 14 days now for your next cut. It is very likely (but not 100%) that your symptoms will wax and wane, but then windows will come. When I would hold my cuts for 14 days, I would experience atleast 3 days in a row of "normalcy" and would be mentally prepared to make my next cut. Withdrawals are all part of the tapering process. They are signs showing us that our bodies are actually healing from the effects of the benzos!! Just keep telling yourself, that it will pass!

Good point made by stoneyco!!!

I,too,would suggest you keep your doses as evenly spaced throughout the day as possible.  When I was tapering, I would dose every 8 hours.  Usually 6 am, 2 pm and 10 pm .  This keeps the benzo evenly in your bloodstream.  Lorazepam is a short acting benzo, meaning it doesn't stay in the system as long as some others, like Valium for instance.

You sound lilke you are doing very well.  Keep at it.  You will have good/bad days.  Just take it as it comes

• 3 weeks later...

New plan:  Off Lorazepam completely...never want to cross paths with the stuff again.

Taking Valium 10 mg TID  .  Tapering by 5 mg every 2 weeks.  Feel like myself.  Lorazepm is jut way to short acting and has no active metabolites so it's a beast to get off of.  Valium has renewed my saniity...i was getting extremely anxious and depressed on Lorzepam. 

good luck to all!    :)

Hey kindness,

Glad to hear that you crossed over to the valium. It has a MUCH longer half-life than the lorazepam and should be more tolerable to taper off of. Just remember to take it slow, listen to your body, and holding your cuts for 2 weeks is great! Glad that your "sanity" has been renewed and please keep us posted on your progress...

• 4 weeks later...

I just felt that  I should report in and let others know that Ihave been tapering off of Ativan without the use of diazepam (Valium),my psychitrist dropped the  Ativan completely (0.5mg TID) and switched me to  a slow taper of  Vallium.this  has made an enormous difference in my life.  I still get some anxiety and a few body aches/pains, but overall, it has been 98.9% more tolerable than when i was doing the slow taper of Lorazepam alone.  I hopr  this is of help to those of you who are having regular rotten days on the Ativan taper.

Sincerely, Kindness

Great to hear kindness,

I hope your taper will now be more tolerable for you and wish you great success, keep us updated if you can  :smitten: