[so...]

Hi I am new to the forum:

Currently on .25 Clonazapam morning

.31 dinner Clon. been on this for 6 wks tapering by .125 wkly

.5 Ativan at night....

Should I be converting over to One benzo, and if so valium?

Also been having bad stomach cramps...is this typical?

Thanks

DW

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [so...]

• [Th...]

• [Lo...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

.5 Ativan at night....

Thanks

DW

Hi songwriter,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!! We recommend tapering one benzo at a time. Since Ativan has a short half-life compared to Clonazepam, it would be better to taper off the Ativan first. Tapering at .125mg of Clonazepam weekly is usually doable but some need to wait two weeks between cuts. We usually recommend cutting approximately 10% off the total daily dose every 7-14 days depending on how you are feeling. If you have not already, it would be beneficial for you to read The Ashton Manual that can help you better understand benzo use and withdrawals that can accompany tapering from benzos. Here's the link...http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm  Having GI issues can be present during benzo use and withdrawal. Here is an excerpt from The Ashton Manual addressing that issue...

Digestive problems. Some people have no problems at all with their digestive systems during or after withdrawal, and may even notice that they are enjoying their food more. Others, perhaps more prone constitutionally, may complain of a range of symptoms associated with "irritable bowel syndrome" (IBS). These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain, flatulence, gaseous distension and heartburn. Quite a few have found these symptoms so uncomfortable that they have undergone hospital gastrointestinal investigations, but usually no abnormality is found. The symptoms may be partly due to overactivity in the autonomic nervous system, which controls the motility and secretions of the gut and is very reactive to stress, including the stress of benzodiazepine withdrawal. In addition, there are benzodiazepine receptors in the gut. It is not clear what the functions of these receptors are or how they are affected by benzodiazepines or benzodiazepine withdrawal, but alterations in these receptors may play some part in increasing gut irritability.

Considerable loss of weight (8-10lb or more) sometimes occurs in withdrawal. This may be due to a rebound effect on appetite, since benzodiazepines have been shown to increase appetite in animals. On the other hand, some people gain weight in withdrawal. In any case, weight changes are not severe enough to worry about and normal weight is soon regained after withdrawal. A few people have difficulty in swallowing food - the throat seems to tighten up especially if eating in company. This is usually a sign of anxiety and is well-known in anxiety states. Practising relaxation, eating alone, taking small well chewed mouthfuls with sips of liquid and not hurrying make things easier and the symptom settles as anxiety levels decline.

Most digestive symptoms get better after withdrawal but in a few people they persist and become a protracted symptom, raising fears of food allergy or candida infection. These questions are discussed further in the section on protracted symptoms.

If you have any more questions, just ask!!

T2 :smitten:

.5 Ativan at night....

Thanks

DW

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, songwriter007.  ;D

There are a couple of ways to taper off of benzos; crossing over to valium is one of them.  Most people are able to taper directly off clonozepam by dry cutting or titration.  You can read about all three ways here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/buddiesguide/methods

and here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9522.0

As Theresa said, it's a good idea to taper off the ativan first.  You might want to shift some of your daily total of clonozepam to bedtime when you start tapering off the ativan.  Ativan isn't as potent as clonozepam or as long-lasting.  In terms of strength of effect, the .5mg you take at night is about equivalent to .25mg clonozepam.

Take a look at the information and ask any questions you might have.  If you need help working out a taper plan for the ativan, just let us know. (There's a Reply tab at the top right of each "page:.)

Hey songwriter,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! I see that you have already been given some great advice and references.

Yes, GI symptoms are pretty common during tapering and post benzos. I can't believe you specifically asked this, because for the past 7 days, I have been experiencing this withdrawal symptom to the max!! (I am now 36 days benzo free). It felt like someone was squeezing my stomach/intestines and I have been sooooo bloated. It has even affected my breathing. I was diagnosed with IBS last summer, but now am wondering if it is all benzo related!! I took coated peppermint capsules, Gas-X, and a few of my IBS prescription medications and nothing really helped much. Then last night, I could breath more normally again and my stomach felt better as well. As with all other withdrawal symptoms, TIME is the biggest healer. So, just keep positive and tell yourself that this too shall pass! It helps to ask/vent about symptoms that you are having and find that others have or are experiencing the same thing. Just knowing that can give a ton of peace of mind and get you thru it. If you have any other questions, just ask!

Lori :smitten:

Hi Everyone: Thanks for the responses...

I'm curious about protracted symptoms?...Once I taper off completely do you experience a withdrawal period?

I'm fortunate to have some downtime, but need to know as I may be out of the country afterwards, and don't want to have a meltdown in Athens!

Thanks

SW007

Hi Beeper: Thanks for the input!.....nice to know there are people going through all of this....I've read that Benzos can cause heartburn?....I'm on pantoloc/nexium type of acid reducer, however still having stomach pains...is this normal....any other suggestions to ease this discomfort?

Also, is it better to switch to Valium early in tapering or can it be done when I get down to Quarters of the .5 Clonazapam tablets?

Hope you are well

Songwriter007

Got your pm, songwriter.  It's best to post your questions on the open forum so you can draw on a variety of experiences and opinions.  I see that Lori Lee has already mentioned the GI problems she had.  Seems to be pretty common.  I am on prevacid for GERD so maybe that helped me avoid stomach pains while withdrawing.  I really don't know. 

I'm actually not a fan of switching to valium.  It makes more sense to me to taper as low as you can directly from clonozepam and if you need to slow way down at the end, switch to some form of titration. 

Hi songwriter,

Nice to meet you. I would say it's better to come off one at a time. You don't need to crossover if you don't want to. Many of us have come off Klono very successfully. Alot of people do not have protracted withdrawals. Don't worry about it. Everyone heals, but everyones timeline is different. I was lucky, I had a very smooth go of it, considering many things I read. You might be one of those who has a little bit easier time. Good luck to you. :thumbsup: Kel

Hi Everyone: Thanks for the responses...

I'm curious about protracted symptoms?...Once I taper off completely do you experience a withdrawal period?

I'm fortunate to have some downtime, but need to know as I may be out of the country afterwards, and don't want to have a meltdown in Athens!

Thanks

SW007

It does seem that the healing/resetting of the GABA receptors goes on for quite a while after you are done with the benzos.  For most, the most intense stuff seems to be over with in a month or so, with little waves of symptoms occuring from time to time for some time to come.  Some, like Kel, had few symptoms post-benzo and everyone heals differently.  Still, if it were me and I had a choice, I probably wouldn't make any big plans for right after I finished my taper "just in case".

Hi Songwriter:

I am almost 3 weeks off benzos and doing far better than during my taper. I did a switch to val from xan. I would follow the suggestions of T2 and Beeper to get off, starting with the Ativan and getting off the Klono next. Use Val as a last resort. There is no way around wd sx, like the GI stuff, I am sure you will be met by other symptoms in WD, but they all pass. Trueblue

Hey Songwriter,

We were going down to Universal for a family vacation over Christmas. I could have tapered off before we left, but stayed longer on the .125mg of klonopin. When we got home, I took my last benzo. I am VERY glad that I didn't go out of town after being benzo free. We all heal differently, but I can't imagine someone not experiencing atleast one annoying withdrawal symptom, post benzos. Plus, if you have any fears of flying or being far from home, stress/worrying can really make the symptoms worse. Are you going to be out of town for a long time? Is there any way that you can postpone being benzo free until after you are back from your vacation? Just a thought... :-\

Lori :smitten:

Hi Everyone: having a good day!...stomach is behaving, and dispohoria is at a low, as I was able to have a 2 hour intelligent conversation with my banker! Thank GOD for windows!

Anyhow, I had a question about titration and where to obtain the equipment for it?

Once again, I'm on Clonazapam .25 morning/ .31 at supper, and .5 Ativan at bedtime.

Been sleeping quite well, which is a GODSEND after my unintented first withdrawal from as little as 1 mg Ativan over a few months last year. Once again, There should be RED WARNING STICKERS to state the you must never abrubtly discontinue useage, ( most of us would not have to be here!!!!)  besides the sticker that says, causes drowsiness!!! I'm going to suggest this to my pharmacist!!! My doctor found it hard to believe I could have had such withdrawal from 1 mg of Ativan?

I guess he didn't take into consideration that some people are ultra sensitive to chemicals....hmm?

I'm wondering how to taper off the Ativan, as I'm breaking the small oblong tablets in half, and from there it gets pretty tedious?...I read about crushing the half, and dividing with a razor...quite creative?

I guess another option is titration.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks, and it's great to have you all as support !

Songwriter007

Hi songwriter,

I bought my cylinder from Sciencestuff.com, I purchased a glass one and a plastic one. I did manage to break my glass one so having the plastic one for back up was a good idea! Here is some titration information that you may want to look over that I posted to someone else already today.

It you decide to go to titration, you would be cutting approximately 10% over 10-14 days. This can be adjusted to your specification. You will want to look over the titration directions found here... http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=6393.msg61329#msg61329 and then look over what information is needed to get a schedule found here... http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=11093.0  Finally  ;D , post your request on this board here... http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=62.0

If you have any questions, just ask.

HI SONGWRITER-GI upsets are a common thing in the withdrawl process. Just ask me or Lori or alot of other people-Lot of GABA receptors in gut-My advice is to go slow on the taper and look into titration.You could also look on E-bay for the equipment-thats where I GOT MY GRADUATED CYLINDER- just type in graduated cylinder in the search box-take care-Box

Hi songwriter,

Just wanted say (belatedly) welcome to BB.  I am currently tapering with valium (from Xanax, then Klonopin) and it seems I have more side effects than those tapering from Klon, Ativan, etc.  This is just my experience and thoughts from what I've read.

I think T2 and Beeper gave you some pretty good advice and links on how to taper.  I wish you well on your journey to be benzo free.

Missy

Dear Members; where can I obtain the equipment for titration?

Any suggestions for stomach pains?

Thanks

Songwriter007

I think many by their cylinders on the Internet. One site I know of is sciencestuff.com.  You can get the 10ml syringe from a pharmacist.  Most don't bother with a mortar and pestle for crushing the pills.

I don't know what to suggest for stomach pains.  Probably some of the members who've dealt with that will weigh in over the next few days.

Hi: Hope this is now on open forum! Concentration  is still off  ::)

Anyhow, since I am on Clonazapam 2 daily does, .25 morning/ .3125 supper. Getting ready to cut to .25 after nearly 2 wks.

I have the nightime dose of .5 Ativan. Should I switch this over to one benzo?. Clonazapam .25?

Or gradually switch to Valium for all three doses.

Also any suggestions for stomach pains?

Thanks

Songwriter007 :thumbsup:

Hi: Hope this is now on open forum! Concentration  is still off   ::)

Anyhow, since I am on Clonazapam 2 daily does, .25 morning/ .3125 supper. Getting ready to cut to .25 after nearly 2 wks.

I have the nightime dose of .5 Ativan. Should I switch this over to one benzo?. Clonazapam .25?

Or gradually switch to Valium for all three doses.

Also any suggestions for stomach pains?

Thanks

Songwriter007 :thumbsup:

Hi Songwriter007,

It would be best to taper off of one benzo at a time. Since Ativan is shorter acting, it would be recommended to taper that one first. You can cut your .50mg Ativan into 1/4s (.125mg) and reduce by that amount. You should hold there for at least a week or two depending on how you are feeling.

Crossing over to Valium is a personal choice, most doctors in the US will not prescribe it. But for crossover equivalencies 1mg of klonopin is equal to 20mg of Valium, and 1mg of Ativan is equal to 10mg.

What kind of stomach pains are you experiencing? Many here including me have experienced GI issues. Here is an excerpt from The Ashton Manual....

Digestive problems. Some people have no problems at all with their digestive systems during or after withdrawal, and may even notice that they are enjoying their food more. Others, perhaps more prone constitutionally, may complain of a range of symptoms associated with "irritable bowel syndrome" (IBS). These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain, flatulence, gaseous distension and heartburn. Quite a few have found these symptoms so uncomfortable that they have undergone hospital gastrointestinal investigations, but usually no abnormality is found. The symptoms may be partly due to overactivity in the autonomic nervous system, which controls the motility and secretions of the gut and is very reactive to stress, including the stress of benzodiazepine withdrawal. In addition, there are benzodiazepine receptors in the gut. It is not clear what the functions of these receptors are or how they are affected by benzodiazepines or benzodiazepine withdrawal, but alterations in these receptors may play some part in increasing gut irritability.

Considerable loss of weight (8-10lb or more) sometimes occurs in withdrawal. This may be due to a rebound effect on appetite, since benzodiazepines have been shown to increase appetite in animals. On the other hand, some people gain weight in withdrawal. In any case, weight changes are not severe enough to worry about and normal weight is soon regained after withdrawal. A few people have difficulty in swallowing food - the throat seems to tighten up especially if eating in company. This is usually a sign of anxiety and is well-known in anxiety states. Practising relaxation, eating alone, taking small well chewed mouthfuls with sips of liquid and not hurrying make things easier and the symptom settles as anxiety levels decline.

Most digestive symptoms get better after withdrawal but in a few people they persist and become a protracted symptom, raising fears of food allergy or candida infection. These questions are discussed further in the section on protracted symptoms.

My stomach pain seems to travel from  right of the solar plexus to lower left....the suggestion to slow the taper, is good advice, so perhaps my 1 wk taper previously has been to abrupt causing an acceleration of my stomach pain.... I read that a banana before bed is good, and worked well last night...slept very well.

Songwriter007

Hi all: Watched the titration video on Youtube, which was helpful...

However, I'm still a bit unclear on exactly how this works.

Do you crush all 3 benzos ( my daily dose) in milk and put them into the 100ml cylinder, then remove the 1ml and divide the remaining benzo milk into 3 doses throughout the day?

Then continue the following day reducing 2ml and so on?

I'm still not shooting on all cylinders so bear with me!

Songwriter007

Here's the deal....I'm on 2 benzos, and it's been recommended taper off the Ativan as it has a shorter half life...however, that's the dose .5  that I take before bed, and I've been sleeping well, after a disasterous unintended withdrawal before Christmas.

Perhaps I should switch my Ativan .5 at night over to Clonzapam .25 then start with a tirtration schedule for the 3 equal doses? Since Clonazapam has a longer half life, it may smooth things out being on one benzo....I've had some depersonalization during the day, and maybe it's because of the shorter half life of the Ativan.

Hope I'm not splitting hairs here, but knowledge is power.

Songwriter007

You can create your own titration plan or ask for one to be prepared for you in the board:  Planning your Taper

Have you read the introductions to the sub boards there yet?