SSRI support group - tapering while on benzo's or after recovery

[Ki...]

If I had it to do over again, I'd taper off of the AD first.  I tapered the benzo first and now the AD taper is hellacious and the drug is activating making the fear, depression, anxiety and insomnia off the charts.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ki...]

• [ga...]

• [Sm...]

• [la...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to read you are going through such a hellish te, Gardenlady. The thing is, we can't foretell how things will go before... before they actually go the way they do. For a loooong time I was convinced benzos were the devil and ADs would be relatively easier to taper... but it truly depends on the individual. And from one AD to another, things can also vary drastically. My Lexapro taper gave me chronic fatigue-like symptoms, actually it was like narcolepsy. But when I discontinued Effexor... is that what repainted the world in even darker tucky grey and gave me akathisia? Or was that jumping from 1mg V? Or delayed onset withdrawal after my K jump?... or a mix of everything?? I will never be able to tell. Everyone of us has a story... no two people will go through the same thing. Hindsight is 20/20. You could never had known, dear Gardenlady, you did what you believed was best given the information you had. You also needed to take a decision, otherwise you would not have taken any step towards getting free of meds and would still be on benzos AND ADs. You're are where you need to be in this hourney and that's what matters. One day this will all be part of your success story. Keep doing what you believe is best fot you, that's all you can do - and what you have got to do!

Healing hugs,

Julz xx

Dear Garden Lady,

I want to just offer my empathy and support.  I have tapered off Remeron, and just finished my own brutal wd of Lamictal, which causes me to be on benzos again.

I too feel alone and have has agoraphobia because of the wd.  I'm trying to work on getting my cortisol so I can sleep. The benzos were supposed to help but they really dont. 

All this to say that it's not our fault these medications flatten us and you are not alone. 

Final, Thank you so very much for your kind, encouraging words.  I'm terribly sorry that your Lamictal withdrawal forced you back onto benzos.  The psych drug thing appears to be a never-ending vicious circle for some and my heart goes out to you.  I reinstated a benzo after an emotional trauma landed me back in acute withdrawal and it only made things worse.  I've come to think that unless one's life is literally in danger, that reinstating any psych drug only makes things worse.  They are truly evil.  I send my sympathy your way.

Hi,  I was put on  celexa and to smooth the stimulating effects also 0.5  klonopin for 7 months now... because of ssri wd sxs from short term use of  different ssri specially paxil...so I finally  had chemical depression and anxiety from stress... anyway Klonopin from the start gave me stomach issues and hit tolerance pretty soon so started tapering that  3 months ago , now on 0.390 But not sure if to hold and taper  the AD as it will start being stimulating.  I have broken sleep as it is, since I started tapering and had insomnia  before this cocktail... SA.org say I should  taper the AD first... it been  a merry go round of WDs... :-\

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I just made my first cut from Remeron 8 days ago. Need a home for awhile as I try and muster the strength to come off another drug. So far I’m ok but will be cutting at least 5% next time. That doesn’t sound like a lot but it is on my already weary and fragile system. So if you don’t mind I think I’ll tag along for awhile.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to get some guidance on my current situation. I read back a few pages and see that in hindsight, some of you wished you would have tapered your AD before your benzo. I'm doing a liquid micro taper off my benzo and am doing a lot better than I did when I first started. I'm down to .5 mg K today.

I'm on 50mg Trazodone and 225mg Effexor. I also take 50mg Metoprolol to control my rapid heart rate which began when I started taking Trazodone. My doctor didn't tell me at the time, but Trazodone and Effexor have a drug interaction that causes serotonin syndrome and increased heart rate is one of the symptoms. 

I was originally put on K for sleep, but now it has no affect. I'm sleeping fine now (practicing sleep hygiene) and I'm wondering if Trazodone is even helping me sleep anymore. I've been on 50mg for two and a half years.

My questions are:

1) Should I hold my benzo taper and get off one of my AD's? Hopefully, that will allow me to get off of the Metoprolol, too.

2) Would it be best to come off of the Trazodone first since that's what caused me to be put on the Metoprolol and it's the smaller dose?

3) Would anyone recommend I make very small cuts from my AD while continue to DLMT my benzo? I only ask this because I'm doing pretty well and I'm not currently working, so I want to take advantage of this time.

Thanks,

Suzie

Hi Suzie I was curious what you ended up doing. Sorry I couldn’t offer you any thoughts on your situation. I was always told to make sure some time has passed after your benzo taper before tapering your antidepressant but who really knows. I do think it makes sense to do one drug at a time if you can. That’s crazy that your doctor and your pharmacist didn’t warn you about serotonin syndrome, I would be upset about that. Let us know how you’re  doing and what you decided.

Hi Jackie,

I decided to continue my benzo taper. I agree, one drug at a time. I thought about how others have such a hard time sleeping, so I thought it would be best to continue on Trazodone. I have to say, I am feeling depressed, so best not to rock that boat. I'm trying different coping strategies and healthy eating to ease the depression symptoms. I'll definitely give it time once I'm off the benzo before weaning off the AD.

Suzie

Hi Suzie, I think that’s a good idea. I’m sorry you are feeling depressed. I hate depression from these drugs. If you’re sleeping that’s good because it will aid in your healing. I notice when I eat very clean, like just small amounts of meat and vegetables and a little fruit like berries I do the best. As soon as I eat chocolate or sweets of any kinds I’m revved up for days. Unfortunately I do still eat some of these things. Family dinners with desserts.  ::) Take care Suzie and I’ll see you around here I’m sure.

i tapered off 3mg of klonopin in six months , the ive got off ambien, no im weaning zoloft 150mg down to .125, but the zoloft has been almost as hard as the benzos were really dizzy from it . insomia is wicked right now .

How are you tapering the Zoloft? I’m tapering Remeron. I just cut another 5% last night. I feel lethargic after a cut.

Jackie  :smitten:

zoloft im cutting 10 percent for about two weeks i feel out of it when i make a cut but more so when i gotten down to level im at now.im dry cutting

Hi 531, I’m dry cutting too. I get hit about day 4. I feel dizzy off and on. You’ll get there. One day at a time. You’re braver then me cutting 10% every 2 weeks.

well im not saying im braver maybey im not so smart in the big picture .day 4 is the same thing for me plus on have insominia so that does a number on me to .

531, keep the faith, you can do this and so can I. Not always easy but we just keep going steadily along. Ok maybe steadily isn’t the right word especially because most days I’m anything but steady, lol. Back to walking in the fog.  :o

• 3 weeks later...

i tapered off 3mg of klonopin in six months , the ive got off ambien, no im weaning zoloft 150mg down to .125, but the zoloft has been almost as hard as the benzos were really dizzy from it . insomia is wicked right now .

Hi Did you experience insomnia coming of Klonopin? I would think zolof is a stimulating ssri .... so now coming of it gives you insomnia interesting ..... i'm planning on coming of my ssri  and holding the benzo

yes klonopin gave me insomia and ambien, the zoloft also gives me insomia all during the tapering off of it i dont know why .

Im sorry, to hear I'm also suffering from insomnia,is there something that helped you  or helps you? Losing my mind  and health

is yours from the klonopin or something else insomnia is tough hard on us .

when i first came off my first ssri I had sleep problems and  didn't know it was the ssri wd and was put on others hoping I would help did matters worse as I didn't taper from them  and had bad wd sxs, so was put on .5 of klonopin now down to .3  my insomnia is unbearable because i'm so tired  from wd. I really need the sleep... also take celexa  5mg  I was told to taper that first as it was stimulating for me was not able to go up in dose at the time .... what about you?

mine is same way getting off the zoloft i cant sleep, not much different then the klonopin i was on for three years as far as withdrawaler goes i had insomia all the way through both tapers i am down to about 0.125 on the zoloft now but then it going to be two or three months before i feel normal i have been on this stuff for 20 years and im finally going to be drug free .

mine is same way getting off the zoloft i cant sleep, not much different then the klonopin i was on for three years as far as withdrawaler goes i had insomia all the way through both tapers i am down to about 0.125 on the zoloft now but then it going to be two or three months before i feel normal i have been on this stuff for 20 years and im finally going to be drug free .

that great di you experience any vertigo?