Author Topic: SSRI support group - tapering while on benzo's or after recovery  (Read 31198 times)

[Buddie]

I see from a lot of people's signatures that they are on an SSRI/SNRI or have been in the recent past.
I'm hoping this can be a place for people to discuss their histories with SSRI use and provide relevant information or advice.

What was your experience?

Did you taper your SSRI before or after benzo's?

Which withdrawal did you find more difficult?

Thank you, [...]  :smitten:

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: SSRI support group - tapering while on benzo's or after recovery
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 03:50:39 am »
Hi Nigel
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 09:52:54 pm »
Lmao!!!! Thx [...]  :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:06:54 am »
Bump

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:10:04 am »
Hi Nicole!   Happy New Years.  I am on my 3rd day off Celexa after being on 40mg for 2 months.  I am feeling really bad and depressed.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 12:16:10 am »
Hi [...].....I'm really sorry to hear that. At least you were only on a short time. Since you were feeling that way before AD's it probably still benzo withdrawal. The gift that just keeps on giving  :tickedoff:

Dig deep my friend  :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 12:33:55 am »
I was on nitrazepam and various ADs for 40 years. After stopping nitrazepam 21 months ago, my depression was worse for 6 months. Since then I have been free from depression but have been in bed due to pretty awful physical symptoms, particularly numbness from the waist down. I started tapering effexor about 6 months ago and have reduced it by half, from 225 mg to 112.5 mg. I have noticed no difference at all so far!! I don't seem to be highly sensitive as many are on this forum so have been lucky with this. Although my benzo withdrawal has been awful it is probably not unusual after 40 years.  I would only recommend tapering a second drug where benzo withdrawal seems stable as mine was.  I continue to improve physically, but very slowly.

Hope you get more replies, [...].

Hugs

[...]  :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 12:39:49 am »
Thanks [...].....do you remember what AD's you were on and how long you took them for? When did you go on the Effexor? I plan on waiting 1-2 years after my taper to resume my AD taper. What's the longest you were on an AD?

Hugs  :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 12:55:02 am »
I was on ADs for 40 years continuously.

1979 - Anafranil - had grand mal seizures (had myoclonic epilepsy anyway)
1979 -  Doxepin - about 10 years
1989 - Dothiepin -about 10 years
2000 - Effexor - about 14 years

Tried a few others such as prozac which I could not tolerate. Can't remember the others.

You are very sensible to wait. I am in no hurry either.

That does not add up to 40 years!!

I forgot it was 1979 I started on ADs , 5 years after nitrazepam.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 01:25:19 am »
Thank you for sharing. It gives me hope knowing that AD tapering will be easier than benzo's. I've seen a few people signatures on the forum that are tapering AD's and they all seem to be doing ok  :thumbsup:

:smitten: