Restoril 4 months

[Je...]

I have been taking Restoril for 4 months and a few weeks ago started haveing lightheadedness and blurred vision.  I though it was the anxiety and started taking zanax which helps.  But "fog" is not getting better.  I want to stop taking the restoril.  Should I use the table for reduction?  My doctor told me just to half the dose a couple of nights and then just stop.  The pills I have are in powder form.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Jeff,

welcome to benzobddies, this site is for those that want to get off the benzos and stay off them, we advise folks around here to reduce their daily dosage intake by 10% every 7-14 days, one of the other mods or admins will come along and help you out with your taper, good luck.

I have been taking Restoril for 4 months and a few weeks ago started haveing lightheadedness and blurred vision.  I though it was the anxiety and started taking zanax which helps.  But "fog" is not getting better.  I want to stop taking the restoril.  Should I use the table for reduction?  My doctor told me just to half the dose a couple of nights and then just stop.   The pills I have are in powder form.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Jeff59812,

Restoril and Xanax are a class of drugs known as benzodiazepines. If you have been taking either one for an extended period of time, it is highly recommended to taper off of them. Restoril side effects include the symptoms you are experiencing. What dose of Restoril have you been taking and are they capsules? The taper plan your doctor has suggested is considered aggressive. As recover08 stated, we recommend cutting by 10% off your total daily dose every 7-14 days depending on how you are feeling. You may also want to educate yourself about benzodiazepines found in The Ashton Manual, here's the link...http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm  Here is a link to the three supported methods for tapering ....http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9522.0  Let us know how else we can help you, we'll be here!!

T2 :smitten:

Hi Jeff,

I was on Restoril for 1.5 years.  I found it very difficult to taper off it directly and was miserable.  Since you have not been on it that long, reducing by 1/2 could work but stay on the half dose for longer than just a few days before you jump off it completely.  I switched over to Valium and tapered off that.  You can expect a few sleepless nights for sure but getting off this poison now is key.