anxiety while getting medical procedures

[la...]

Hi,

I bring up this topic because while we are all withdrawing and live with a constant level of anxiety, how do we deal with medical procedures that must be done for our well being.

Today I have a dentist appointment where I need a crown and possibly a root canal  ":P".  My dentists are great = they know my whole history but I'm spazzing out knowing my appointment is at 1:00! Obviously any added stress makes anxiety worse but going to the doctor or the dentist is terrifying for me.

How do other people handle the anxiety and panic when they need necessary procedures done?

Thanks,

Laura

I didn't see your post until after your dentist appointment.  How did it go? 

As for what I do when faced with anxiety-inducing procedures, I use just about every trick I know and I start way ahead of time  As for the time of the actual procedure, I've been taking my iPod with a book I'm listening to.  No one's objected to it so far and it keeps my mind distracted.  I do check myself out mentally for any tenseness and send a silent "relax" message and keep up the controlled breathing.  Like I said, every trick I know.  It is very empowering to get through the  things we dread without popping a benzo.

Hi Beeper,

My dentist appointment went just fine but... I cheated - I had them use nitrous oxide and it made all of the difference in the world.  I hope you don't see this as a cop out  ":-[ " but it was the only way I could get through it.  Luckily I didn't need a root canal and I was in the dentist chair 3 1/2 hours - they did the whole procedure, new crown and all.

Laura  ":smitten:"

:laugh:  I recently recommended nitrous oxide to another member needing a dental procedure.  :thumbsup:  I'll bet your jaw is sore.  Sometimes I think they forget how tired those jaw muscles can get when you have to hold your mouth open so long.  That's great that everything got done in one day, though.  I've always gotten a temp. crown and then gone back in 2 weeks for the real thing.  ;D

Yup, the nitrous oxide was the cat's meow  ":D"

My jaw and tooth are sore and I have a headache on the side it was done.  My dentists are great but it cost $1825.00!  I really want to try and take care of my teeth.  I've neglected them for so long now.  Now

If I could just get my stomach pains and constipation straightened out.  I bought some colon cleanse, with no herbal or vitamin/mineral supplement's in them and some pro biotics.

Laura  ":smitten:"

Nope, neither do i think that you cheateded :P for using something.

I think this is a great topic actually. I think benzos are completely jusstified within a hospital setting, just as opiate-based drugs for pain are simply mandatory for some outpatient surgical procedures whether that patient be a recoverying addict or not.

All you really have to do is *think* to get the clear of logic of using any medicines within an inpatient setting.

Ten