looking for some input

[ho...]

I'm not sure exactly how this works but here it goes...

I've been on 1mg of Klonopin for just over four years for anxiety. I have been experiencing progressive symptoms over the last 8 months or so and was looking for advice to see if these are in fact tolerance withdrawal symptoms. I feel worse every month. I have not increased  my dose even though I was told to do so to see if this alleviated the symptoms. I refuse to do so after everything I have read online about this horrible drug that I thought was perfectly safe.

symptoms are: very weird muscle tightness/stiffness throughout my body, especially muscles that are being used consistently mostly back and abdominal muscles. left leg stiffness on occasion. If I lay down most muscles relax

tongue even feels tight at times.

pounding heart when it comes close to my next dose

muscle twitches

back spasms

I'm sure exactly how this works but here it goes...

I've been on 1mg of Klonopin for just over four years for anxiety. I have been experiencing progressive symptoms over the last 8 months or so and was looking for advice to see if these are in fact tolerance withdrawal symptoms. I feel worse every month. I have not increased  my dose even though I was told to do so to see if this alleviated the symptoms. I refuse to do so after everything I have read online about this horrible drug that I thought was perfectly safe.

symptoms are: very weird muscle tightness/stiffness throughout my body, especially muscles that are being used consistently mostly back and abdominal muscles. left leg stiffness on occasion

tongue even feels tight at times. If I lay down the tension eases.

pounding heart when it comes close to my next dose

muscle twitches

back spasms

Hi howdidigethere.  Welcome to the forum, we're glad you found us!  Your symptoms may be from tolerance withdrawal, which is not uncommon with benzos.  If you are planning to taper, we usually suggest a reduction rate of abut 5-10% every 10-14 days.  Here are a few links you'll find useful:

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support (during your taper).

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field.  She describes and explains withdrawal symptoms, and there is also a section with withdrawal/taper schedules.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

:smitten:

Hello howdidIgetthere,

Welcome to the forum from me too  :)

The symptoms you are describing sound withdrawal related so quite likely you have reached tolerance with the current klonopin dosage which means you would need to increase the dosage to achieve the original effect. As Megan said this is quite a common scenario with benzos and can lead to spiralling increases in dosage, I think you're very wise in deciding not to increase the dosage, many members are in your situation when they join the forum and this is the reason why they begin a slow taper off the benzo, is this something that you'd like to do? if so you'll be given plenty of support and tapering assistance here. Should you feel ready to begin tapering, a slow careful taper is the way to go, within the guidelines that Megan has given you. Tapering slowly will ensure that the withdrawal effects are kept to a minimum.

I'm glad you found us and I wish you well.

Debbie

I will be seeing a new doctor later this month. I defiantly want off this medicine so I chose to see a new doctor to help me start the process. I am very scared to start the taper especially since I already feel sick from what might be tolerance. From what I read on this forum it is not all that common for this to happen to most people before they even start to taper.  Is it more difficult to get off this medicine for those people who are at this stage before they even start to taper? Will my symptoms be more severe? If anybody has gone through this I would love to hear from you.

Thank You!

Welcome  :) no, I don't think it will make it harder...your new doc may up your dose to stabilize you and then begin your taper. We have some great resources as well as some tapering plans. I look forward to seeing you on the boards!

I will be seeing a new doctor later this month. I defiantly want off this medicine so I chose to see a new doctor to help me start the process. I am very scared to start the taper especially since I already feel sick from what might be tolerance. From what I read on this forum it is not all that common for this to happen to most people before they even start to taper.  Is it more difficult to get off this medicine for those people who are at this stage before they even start to taper? Will my symptoms be more severe? If anybody has gone through this I would love to hear from you.

Thank You!

Hi again,

I agree with benzos-R-cruel,

I dont think you will have a more difficult time tapering if you're already in tolerance withdrawal. As a matter of fact I was also feeling the effects of tolerance withdrawal when I began tapering and I dont think my taper was any more difficult than other members nor were my symptoms any more severe. Please try not to worry about the taper in advance, as long as you take it nice and slowly I'm suure that you'll fare very well.

I hope this helps,

Debbie

Thank you for your response! If you don't mind me asking what symptoms were you having when you were in tolerance withdrawal? I've decided I will stick this through no matter what.  I will be alone for the majority of the day so until I know what symptoms will come up I will be nervous. As you can tell I am a very anxious person already. Yikes!

Thank you for your response! If you don't mind me asking what symptoms were you having when you were in tolerance withdrawal? I've decided I will stick this through no matter what.  I will be alone for the majority of the day so until I know what symptoms will come up I will be nervous. As you can tell I am a very anxious person already. Yikes!

Hi again,

I was experiencing a lot of muscle pain and I had regular headaches and stomach trouble but my most upsetting symptoms were the psychological ones. During my latter years of benzo use I suffered from severe bouts of depression and depression is not something I had ever experienced prior to benzo use. I was also agoraphobic at times and as a result my social life was badly affected.

Like you, I was very wary about beginning a taper because I was already so sick but truthfully my taper overall was quite manageable and I remained fairly functional throughout. I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

Debbie

I am so glad you did so well! Thank you for your encouragement. I am feeling hopeful my taper goes as well. I would like to feel like a normal human being again!