Does EVERYONE go through hell? (no scary stories please)

[sp...]

Hi there, everyone,

I will be hopefully starting my c-o to Valium tomorrow and starting to taper. I am easily suggestible, so it speak, and don't know if I've been doing myself any favors by reading all of the scary experiences people have had (I already deal with harm OCD and that's hell in and of itself, but finally have a good psychotherapist). If I take it slow is there a chance it will not be so horrible? I am the breadwinner and a mommy of two and cannot have my life fall apart. It sometimes seems that staying on might be the better alternative, although my heart knows that it is a lie. Any positive thoughts?

Thank you! :-[

I'd stay away from the bad stories.  It is not all like that.  Lots of examples of people tapering sensibly and continue working and have fairly normal lives while it happens.

Have you considered a symptom-led taper?

Have you seen this thread...full of people who are having reasonable tapers, still work/living life...

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=66302.msg1544112#new

Lots of people can get off benzos with very few problems.

The people on benzo buddies are just a few who have troubles and even some of them get though it with minimal problems

There's a continuum of withdrawal symptoms from nothing to protracted.  Most people get off with little or no symptoms (and we don't see their names in this forum very often).  Some people get symptoms (sometimes pretty strong), but can cope with them and get through them pretty quickly (a few weeks to a few months).  And some people get more debilitating symptoms that last longer.  I fell into the middle group.  I had some pretty rocky times early on, but was able to work throughout.  At 3 months, most of the physical stuff was over.  By 6 months, I was doing pretty well.

It's pretty much impossible to know which group you're going to fall into until you being your taper or jump.  Personally, I like the idea of beginning a fairly aggressive taper and seeing how your body responds.  If symptoms after a couple of 10-25% cuts are minor or nonexistent, then work to get off quickly (or jump).  If symptoms are significant but bearable, then continue with the aggressive taper.  If symptoms are unbearable, then hold (or increase a bit) to stabilize, then proceed with a slow taper.

Thank you for the advice to pay attention to my own body and how bad the wd symptoms are. I really appreciate the positive words! I do not know what I would do without this site--I would have thought I was losing my mind.

Yes, stay away from any post that scares you! The majority of people get off these drugs without any major problem. Its a minority who really suffer, and an even smaller minority who find their way here. Use this forum for support and information,  and you will do fine.

east

:)

One thing I would like to add is that I personally know 2 people who have come off benzos.

One was addicted for 4 years and came off over a 6 month period and the other was a person who suffered from epilepsy and was on them for 40 years.

Both came out of it fine.

So what im saying is you could quite easily fall into that category

I work very  hard as usual in my job, do spinning for exercising my body every morning, have to travel and enjoying a lot that. Just do not cut your dose for more than 10% each time as i did when i started. Even then I never missed work. Not a single day in bed due to withdrawal symphtoms.  :)