Benzodiazepines and Aggression - An article from an Australian Medical Source.

[au...]

Benzodiazepines

Their role in aggression and why GPs should prescribe with caution.

Paradoxical reactions, disinhibition and amnesia are all associated with benzodiazepine use, misuse and intoxication. While violent and aggressive behaviour may be a consequence of such disinhibition, there is limited information available regarding the links between benzodiazepine use and violence.

Very interesting reading from an Australian site for our General Practitioners.

http://www.racgp.org.au/download/documents/AFP/2011/November/201111jones.pdf

The article also includes the Guidelines for Benzodiazepine prescription - which are soon to be updated in some states.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I read the Guidelines for Rational Use, and I'm wondering what the results have been in Australia since this article came out. Is there any way to know? My hope is that more and more countries will institute such guidelines and they'll become the norm. There should be regulations, not just guidelines, though, and pharmacists should be talking to people if they see repeated prescriptions. They could provide guidance and information if these things were missed.

I've done so much research by now that I can't believe how freely these meds have been prescribed. It seems that there's agreement pretty much across the board that benzos should only be given for short periods of time in low doses. In practice, though, that's not happening. Why not?

Thanks for posting. I'm interested in what's happening on this topic elsewhere.

Lapis2

Hi!

I read the Guidelines for Rational Use, and I'm wondering what the results have been in Australia since this article came out. Is there any way to know? My hope is that more and more countries will institute such guidelines and they'll become the norm. There should be regulations, not just guidelines, though, and pharmacists should be talking to people if they see repeated prescriptions. They could provide guidance and information if these things were missed.

I've done so much research by now that I can't believe how freely these meds have been prescribed. It seems that there's agreement pretty much across the board that benzos should only be given for short periods of time in low doses. In practice, though, that's not happening. Why not?

Thanks for posting. I'm interested in what's happening on this topic elsewhere.

Lapis2

Helloi Lapis2  :)

The Australian guidelines for prescription in my state have recently been upgraded,  I believe they will be published later this month.  When  available I will post them.  Unfortunately like America and Europe these guidelines do differ slightly from state to state.  It is difficult to pass new laws however, our medical students are taught not to initiate prescription unless in a life saving or clinical setting ie: alcohol detox and seizure.  Alprazolam/Xanax was made schedule 8, February 2014, putting it in the same class as Methadone and the likes of.  It is almost impossible to obtain a prescription for that drug now unless already on the drug and not willing to taper or come across an "old school" Dr who is not up with currently findings.  Our children are educated at  school regarding the dangers of these drugs. 

Apparently when I was talked into taking Xanax all those years ago, Drs in Australia were still in the dark about the dangers. My current, well educated Dr  I am blessed to have and the support of her learned colleagues during my taper and recovery. 

Hey Aussiegal!

Yay for Australia! It's fantastic to hear of your forward-thinking and forward-acting country. I've been following things in the UK a bit too, and I think they're also aware of the issues surrounding benzos. I'm in Canada and hoping that things will pick up here.

It's obviously too late for me, but I hope that things will be different for others. I have a huge file of medical literature compiled now, and I've shared a few articles with my doctors (i.e. those who are interested and amenable). Education and information are key when it comes to prevention. I hope NO ONE else has to go through what many of us have endured.

I understand that "wobbly boot" is how you say "dizzy" in Australia. Well, I have the wobbly boot, and it's brutal! I hope you're healing well, Aussiegal.

Best wishes,

Lapis2