Ativan weening... Any other tinnitus sufferers?

[So...]

getting off of Ativan been at 2 mg for 5 years now down to 1.25 mg once a day at night to help sleep. I suffer from bad tinnitus partially noise induced by being an active musician and definitely gets worse in between Ativan doses.  Ativan used to make my T go 50 % down but now hardly affects me anymore because I've built up a physical tolerance to it.  Any other tinnitus sufferers?

Hi Soulstation,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I have had tinnitus, pressure and temporary hearing loss in my left ear off and on while in benzo withdrawal. Not fun but I am pretty lucky that I only get it on rare occasion now, usually when I wake up in the middle of the night or when I miss sleep.

If you are looking to connect with others who have had you might want to start by doing a search using the box at the top right of your screen. This is a very common symptom and there are lots of threads on many different boards about it.

Are you familiar with The Ashton Manual? It is great resource for anyone who is withdrawing from benzodiazepines.

Also, when you get a chance it would be helpful for you to create a signature line so other members are able to provide support based upon your situation. Click here when you are ready to create your signature.

Again, welcome aboard!

Hello Soulstation,

Welcome to the forum from me too  :)

Congratulations on your taper so far, you've done very well and should feel proud of yourself! How fast are you tapering? General tapering guidelines for somebody who's been taking benzos long term are to reduce the daily dose by between 5% and 10% every 10 to 14 days according to how you are feeling. Tapering slowly and carefully will help to keep the withdrawal effects to a minimum.

I'm sorry to hear that the tinnitus is bothering you so much. Tinnitus is a common withdrawal symptom, I had it a lot when I was tapering and I've read about it many times on the form. I'm 16 months benzo free now and the tinnitus rarely bothers me, just occasionally if I'm very tired or stressed.

I will give you a link to The Withdrawal Support Board where you can post for symptom support if need be:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=145.0

I'm glad you fond us and I wish you success with the taper.

Debbie

Hey guys thanks for the response. I started my taper down about 90 days ago.  I am going through a hard time career wise right now trying to find a new career path as tinnitus has really kicked my music career in in the nuts.  I think I been following the schedule you posted as far as tapering down though I haven't been doing the liquid taper thing....I have heard of the Ashton Manual ...I feel like I may have interdose withdrawal tinnitus ...

Thanks for the help

Almost all of us suffer from tinnitus. Mine is so bad in my left ear I am at least 50 percent deaf.

I am a drummer and been exposed to extreme volumes as you probably have also.

Practices and gigging, even practicing by myself has probably made the tinnitus much worse then a normal wd sufferer.

Good luck on your taper.