switching from ativan to klonopin

[st...]

Hi,

I've been on Ativan for 5 years and I'm currently at 5mg/day. my pharmacist suggested that I switch to klonopin because I'm having tolerance withdrawal symptoms.  I tried the switch to valium years ago but it didn't work for me.  I guess that I should taper off Ativan and replace it with klonopin. any suggestions? please help

Have you thought about tranxene it has a long half life and is water soluble?  Also, Librium has a long half life and is water soluble as well.

I was on 6 mgs. Of Ativan and in extreme tolerance and interdose withdrawals.  I started a daily taper where you just take a little bit off of the pill and it sort of tricks the body instead of making larger cuts.  Have you tried spreading your doses out?

I've been on klonopin and it was just pure hell to get off of, that's my experience.  You can google patient reviews with tranxene and Librium and see what their experiences were and make your decision from there. 

Best of luck,

Deborah

Hi,

I've been on Ativan for 5 years and I'm currently at 5mg/day. my pharmacist suggested that I switch to klonopin because I'm having tolerance withdrawal symptoms.  I tried the switch to valium years ago but it didn't work for me.  I guess that I should taper off Ativan and replace it with klonopin. any suggestions? please help

You said "tolerance" withdrawal.  Usually the complaint with Ativan is "interdose" withdrawal.  And the cure for that is to spread the daily dose more across the day OR switch to a longer acting benzo.  But with tolerance withdrawal I would think it would occur for any benzo.  I would try to taper the Ativan first unless interdose is problematic.  Better the devil you know.