Will we recover from cold turkey?

[fi...]

Will we recovery if we were cold turkey'd?

I read this on the Bristol Tranquilzer Project.

"Never abruptly stop any benzodiazepine, z drug or antidepressant - cold turkey is the largest cut of all and the shock caused by such an abrupt withdrawal is so severe that even after resumption of your drug at the previous dose, it may take weeks or months to "stabilise", and in some cases, you may never stabilise from a cold turkey withdrawal until after you have completed your reduction."

This is worrying me. :(

Any positive words?

Don't worry about that. Its jus saying that you won't recover until you wean off correctly. And that's after reinstatement from a cold turkey! No worries. :)

Read the passage again :P

It states that even if you were to reinstate your dose after going cold turkey, that it you could potentially NOT stabilize until after you wean off. Its not saying that you wont stabilize at all. Theyre just saying that going cold turkey and attempting to go back on the drugs is a bad idea, because your body may not stabilize until well after the weaning period is over. You WILL recover.

Read the passage again :P

It states that even if you were to reinstate your dose after going cold turkey, that it you could potentially NOT stabilize until after you wean off. Its not saying that you wont stabilize at all. Theyre just saying that going cold turkey and attempting to go back on the drugs is a bad idea, because your body may not stabilize until well after the weaning period is over. You WILL recover.

Yay!    :D

Hi guys

I did a C/T from 30 to 40 mils of valium. I was very sick and was declining as months went bye. I didnt have BB or any outside help. My Drs didnt believe me . I just keep telling myself I will get through this No matter what. It takes some time guys but you will stablize then move onto healing. Every day that goes bye even in your wost of pain Your Healing.. I am 100% Healed for a few years now and it took me well over 15 months to get there.

I was so Grave and Bedridden for months with over 50 sxs. If I can get to feeling so good again so will you :)

~Jenny

Thank you so much Jenny for your personal success story. It helps more than you know. Sorry film critic. I feel like I've hijacked your thread.

I broke into a barrage of sobs again last night after trying to pick up the same pencil 6 times in a row. I'm a seamstress FFS. It's hard to see that there will be an end to this sometimes.

Thank you so much Jenny for your personal success story. It helps more than you know. Sorry film critic. I feel like I've hijacked your thread.

I broke into a barrage of sobs again last night after trying to pick up the same pencil 6 times in a row. I'm a seamstress FFS. It's hard to see that there will be an end to this sometimes.

Your so welcome LilyC

I know how scary this is. I was right were all of you are .But pls know you will get better. All of these horrible sxs do ease then leave. You can do this. Dont Doubt yourself. Your brain knows exactly what to do.. Stay strong everyone .. This will End..

P.S I have a success story in the success threads if your interested

~Jenny

No reason to apologize! It is amazing hear all of this positivity! Thank you jaso19!

I know how you feel. Though we are symptomatic, keep pushing on! It sucks and makes you crumble most of the time, but cherish the great days we have until someday we will creat an amazing, driven, stress filled (that we can handle lol) life for ourselves. Love the 2nd chance we will get with recovery.

I'm going to call and talk to someone from Bristol Tranquilizer Project on Tuesday. Gonna get a bit of hope there. Gosh that's gonna be a costly phone call but it'll be worth it. I'll let you know what they say.

Keep moving. Get out and run a mile.

Yes, lots of people completely heal after a cold turkey. Most people do! I was on large doses of two benzos, plus antidepressants  and went CT. No joke, it was utter misery for a long time. But I did gradually heal. I am close to being 100% healed at this point, and I do not regret what happened. Its been a long rough ride, but I made it. You can do this...be gentle with yourself.

east

:thumbsup:

Yeah, it'll eventually go away. I took the drugs for recreational use, I would experience extreme hallucinations and highs that were unreal. My withdrawal wasnt nearly as long as alot of people and quite frankly I just had a taste of it all. I been good for about 3 months now and the worst of it passed 2 months after ceasing. There's no real solution except riding it out, I changed my life completely when it first happened. I started forcing myself to go out no matter how uncomfortable I was even minor distractions seconds at a time helped, excersize, acceptance, Indulging in philosophy and basically giving up the want to find answers helped. Its alot easier said than done, but on the flip side nothing easy or in the comfort zone really reaped the best benefits. Persistence is the one true constant in this all and just because today is bad doesnt mean tomorrow will be as well. Try new things, dont be afraid, life will continue no matter what state youre in. Just keep on keeping on. Best wishes to all still fighting.

I need some help and advice. I CT 5 1/2 months ago from 10mg ambien. I continue to suffer from harsh WDs, neuropathic pain (intense entire body burning), vibrations, tinnitus, anxiety, panic, uncontrollable crying. I thought I was getting a little relief from the neuropathic pain, but last 5 days, it is unbearable.

I was tapering off neurontin down now from 1200 to 300mg, over past few months, now I think maybe the neurontin was helping more than hurting. This pain is unbearable, no sleep for 5 nights, I have no support from my doctors, they do not recognize ambien WDs.

What are my options? I thought I could try to increase neurontin? Since I CT and still have harsh WDs, I think it is too late to reinstate and taper from ambien? So little is known about ambien WDs......

Please help me, I don't know what to do now. Thanks cindy

So sorry to hear what you're going through Cindy. That's brutal. It's a shame you don't have understanding from your doctors.  That's what you need the most I think.  Hopefully some of the seasoned ones on here can offer some suggestions.

I did a C/T from klonopin almost 18 months ago. I have improved but feel stuck in some weird limbo of improvement, yet at the same time not anywhere close back to normal.

For the first 12 months or so things were very bad. Now in the second year I can do most normal life things (driving, exercise, etc..) although it is very difficult most days and I still feel quite detached a lot of the time with DR.

Things DO improve, we all will recover. Unfortunately some of us take quite a bit longer to get there.  :thumbsup:

Hi Cindy,

The question about your Neurontin should be answered by your doctor. In my opinion, if the higher dose was helping, it might be a good idea to go up on it a little. But I am not your doctor.

At 5.5 months out, you are considered pretty early out. I know, it seems impossible that you are so miserable just getting off Ambien 10 mgs that you did not take a long time. But it happens to a few people, and apparently you are one of them. Everything you mentioned sounds like classic withdrawal to me.

Basically, Ambien withdrawal is just like benzo withdrawal. The "Z drugs" are not strictly benzos, but they mirror them almost completely. They affect the same gaba receptors. They are "kissing cousins" of true benzodiazepines. Dr Ashton talks about them in The Manual, you know. At 5.5 months, it is considered late to reinstate. You have already started healing from them, you know. And there is something called "kindling", which means that people who do more than one withdrawal (a taper is considered withdrawal, too-) may have succeedingly difficult withdrawals.

I know you feel horrible. Probably the best way to deal with this is to distract yourself from it. There are many methods to deal with pain without resorting to a drug. Pain causes anxiety, depression and fear, which we already have too much of in withdrawal. This forum has dedicated areas for anxiety and depression...chock full of ideas to help you.

Good luck, and I wish you ONLY better times ahead.

east

:thumbsup:

I didn't jump off neurontin until my Ativan withdrawal was pretty much over (I felt 70-ish% healed).  I know it helped me through the Ativan withdrawal.

Hi I came off a pretty high dose, Xanax and valium, very fast.  It wasn't pretty, but I'm still standing.

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you did it and you're more than two or three weeks off, I would say hang in there. 

I wasn't able to work, though.  Acute was very bad.  But I'm getting better.  Today started month 11.  in a little wave.  There is definitely improvement.  If nothing crazy happens, I could see myself back to work after the holidays.

Good luck.

Hi guys

I did a C/T from 30 to 40 mils of valium. I was very sick and was declining as months went bye. I didnt have BB or any outside help. My Drs didnt believe me . I just keep telling myself I will get through this No matter what. It takes some time guys but you will stablize then move onto healing. Every day that goes bye even in your wost of pain Your Healing.. I am 100% Healed for a few years now and it took me well over 15 months to get there.

I was so Grave and Bedridden for months with over 50 sxs. If I can get to feeling so good again so will you :)

~Jenny

Filmcritic sorry to crash your thread but I just wanted to say thank you to jaso19. Jaso I tried to pm you but couldn't. I saw some of your posts elsewhere and wanted to say how much they helped me. It really shows what's possible and you inspire me so much. I'm going to look for your success story. Thank you.

Hello Jaso & East

Can you kindly send some hope to elle in hell as she is 1 year off from cold turkey and feels she will never heal, her cry for help touched me so please see link copied below and send a beacon of hope from the other side as you guys made it out and can prove the other side of hell does exist and she will truly heal

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=117113.msg1531461;boardseen#new

Bless you guys for all ye do

Woofs

Hi guys

~Jenny

Filmcritic sorry to crash your thread but I just wanted to say thank you to jaso19. Jaso I tried to pm you but couldn't. I saw some of your posts elsewhere and wanted to say how much they helped me. It really shows what's possible and you inspire me so much. I'm going to look for your success story. Thank you.

Awe Chaffinch83 thank you so much!

Knowing I was able to even give you alittle hope means so much to me. I know this w/d is so scary and so hard ,Knowing your gonna be ok is the Most important . And you will :)

Im so sorry you couldnt get a Pm through to me I closed it down a few years back. Stay strong and know you will be so healthy and happy again

~Jenny