Gabapentin

[do...]

I think it has helped me so far, but I am already starting to taper from it. I don't know how long I will hold. Have to ask my pdoc about this, but my guess is he will tell me to stay on it until I am finished with my taper. But I'm just too scared about the drug. I know it helps with anxiety.

Hi, I had to be admitted to the psych unit in late August - I was not on meds prior to the hospital. I was so frantic before the hospital that I could not stand it anymore. At the hospital, I was given Gabapentin for my extreme anxiety - along with a new anti-depressant. I did calm down a lot over about 14 days. The down side is that I started staggering all over, zoning in and out and almost fell a few times. After reading about withdrawal from Gabapentin, I decided to taper - so, Sept. 3-7 I tapered and have not taken any in two days. I am hoping I will not need any - I am keeping it on hand for dire emergencies only. I don't want to go to the psych unit again (I had never been in a hosp for anything). For me it helped in a last ditch effort to live but long term, I am looking to manage the anxiety by natural methods. The staggering, zoning and falling is gone now. I am still taking the anti-depressant for the near term - beyond that, I will have to see.

Just started on Gabapentin. 600mg/3x per day. Took one this morning with my Klonopin. Some relief.

Took second dose at around 7 pm with evening Klonopin. HUGE WINDOW! Within 30 minutes I had clarity and concentration. I could focus and speak more coherently. Almost euphoric. I know this level of relief will probably not last, but I hope it will at least help with my next titration.

Anxiously Optimistic!

I'm happy that it's working for you.  1800 mg seems a fairly large daily dose to me.  Consider using less of it during your taper.  I had some withdrawal symptoms when I dropped my 300 mg dose.  It was not as bad as my symptoms withdrawing from my benzo, but you're taking 6x more than I did.  While the mode of action is somewhat different from benzos, it's still targeting your GABA system.  Again, I'm happy it's working, but be careful with it.

badsocef,

Thank you so much for the insight into your experience with Gabepentin. I had wondered about the dose. I will certainly try a smaller dose and see if it works for me. The true test will be tomorrow when I start my titration taper. I also plan to taper off of all psychoactive drugs once I am done with the Klonopin. Over the years, they have collectively made my life worse, not better. Chemical-Free is my ultimate goal.

Thank you again

• 3 weeks later...