In the U.K about the prescibing of Benzos that we already no doubt knew about.

[...]

Hi folks

The bmj study is important as it provides another piece of evidence suggesting a link between the consumption of benzos and Alzheimer's. Yet another reason for limiting the use of these drugs.

Politicians are concerned about the costs of dementia care here in the UK. If they think that limiting benzos might help prevent Alzheimer's they will take note.

There may be a push to get dependemt users off benzos. If so, benzo withdrawal syndrome might become more prevalent.

I see this study as another positive steop in the battle against benzos.

LF  :thumbsup:

Although I wouldn't doubt that there could be a direct correlation between benzo use and dementia, the article does raise a good point that it is possible that people who use benzos might already be prone to this kind of illness.

It may be worth bearing in mind that the term Alzheimer's (or Alzheimer's dementia) is often used as a generic term for dementia.  However Alzheimer's dementia is only one specific type of dementia and other types exist such as vascular dementia, fronto-temporal dementia, etc.  This can lead to confusion.

A further ambiguity can arise from how dementia itself is defined.  Some people use the term dementia to refer to the cause of the condition and others use it to refer to the symptoms.  It is one thing to say that benzos can produce dementia-like symptoms and it is quite another to say that benzos cause an increase in the amyloid plaques characteristic of true Alzheimer's dementia.  I would be inclined to say that the former is a type of organic brain syndrome that is largely, if not completely, reversible.

This sort of confusion can give rise to misleading news reports.

It may be worth bearing in mind that the term Alzheimer's (or Alzheimer's dementia) is often used as a generic term for dementia.  However Alzheimer's dementia is only one specific type of dementia and other types exist such as vascular dementia, fronto-temporal dementia, etc.  This can lead to confusion.

A further ambiguity can arise from how dementia itself is defined.  Some people use the term dementia to refer to the cause of the conditionand others use it to refer to the symptoms.  It is one thing to say that benzos can produce dementia-like symptoms and it is quite another to say that benzos cause an increase in the amyloid plaques characteristic of true Alzheimer's dementia.  I would be inclined to say that the former is a type of organic brain syndrome that is largely, if not

completely, reversible.

:thumbsup:

A further ambiguity can arise from how dementia itself is defined.  Some people use the term dementia to refer to the cause of the conditionand others use it to refer to the symptoms.  It is one thing to say that benzos can produce dementia-like symptoms and it is quite another to say that benzos cause an increase in the amyloid plaques characteristic of true Alzheimer's dementia.  I would be inclined to say that the former is a type of organic brain syndrome that is largely, if not

completely, reversible.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5205

The Daily Mail article is based on a research study in the British Medical Journal.

Please read the research report itself to see the evidence for a relationship bet benzos and Alzheimer's.

The evidence is building up to show a link.

A direct causal link is much more difficult to prove.

LF

No ambiguity there.

LF

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5205

The Daily Mail article is based on a research study in the British Medical Journal.

Please read the research report itself to see the evidence for a relationship bet benzos and Alzheimer's.

The evidence is building up to show a link.

A direct causal link is much more difficult to prove.

LF

No ambiguity there.

LF

When i read the full paper i was very scared, Now i feel more brave to do the w/d as safely as possible. We need to stay well! Life is beautiful, we have to be more possitive among the negative! Good luck to everyone, i am single, live on my own, i have to work...still I love life!!!

Even with w/d symptoms i started to feel again, for example my constant headache, but also the flowers, the rain, the sun...i was numb...i am awake now...everyday has to be priceless!!!