Akathisia support

[Ch...]

[e1...]
The akasthesia has gotten way worse in my right leg in the past week or so.  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the remeron I'm taking, I've been gradually increasing the dose and with the last increase the akasthesia got so much worse. I'm going to lower my dose again and see if there is any improvement.  I've had this for over a year and I would hope it would get better not worse.  It scares me.

Chaff and others!  Have you tried a leg/foot massager?  I demo'd something like this in a store and it felt amazing.  FYI, I have my own unique sx, i.e. 24/7 rocking/bouncing/pulsating sensations, my body is never still.  I didn't buy it only because of the cost factor.

It might be something worth looking into.  Or otherwise, even just holding a vibrating cushion sometimes helps a little, but not nearly as good as the leg massager. 

http://img1.wfrcdn.com/lf/8/hash/1732/1690234/1/Ucomfy%2BLeg%2Band%2BFeet%2BMassager.jpg

Jc215, I'm so sorry yours has got worse. I don't know whether it's the remeron increase. It might be. I've heard the best way to beat akathisia is med free. It's so hard to know. Some people take meds and it decreases. I just don't know. I'm avoiding all meds because I'm so sensitive and if I took something now, anything could happen! My head would probably fall off.

Abcd, thanks for your suggestion of the foot massager, I will look into that.

I definitely want something that does the movements for me so I don't have to do them. Sometimes my boyfriend lets me put my legs on his and he jigs his legs up and down so I don't have to do it! It does help. It allows me to concentrate a little on the television or try to visualise. If I could get some kind of massage thingy, that would be really good. I need a kind of chair thing that automatically jiggles my arms and legs non stop. If I got that, I might actually be able to concentrate a bit.

[e1...]
I've had this problem  with my foot since going off klonopin, but only recently the mental anguish that accompanies it.  Gosh, it's awful.

Yes it was. It's a bit complicated as it actually started with augmentin antibiotics. An hour or two after the first dose I went nuts, felt suicidal and started pacing the house. I'd never been suicidal in my life. I was so agitated. I took one more dose and had the worst nausea I'd ever had in my life. The few weeks after that I had terrible nausea and retching every single day and intense agitation. I wasn't sure how much was reaction and how much was my own anxiety. I was going in and out of it in a waves and windows fashion.

One bad day, I took valium, 2mg. I'd never had it before. It didn't do a lot. I didn't know it had a really long half life. That week I was worse and a week after the valium I was bad. I took another valium. It's possible valium caused a lot of my problems. It was doing the opposite to what it was supposed to.

Then I went on citalopram and got worse than ever. I got so many symptoms, the worst being round the clock suicidal ideation, absolute spine curdling terror and agitation. By the end of the week I couldn't stop jigging my leg up and down and I've been like that ever since. I think citalopram was the worst culprit. Going on and off more drugs made everything worse. If I'd jumped off citalopram back then and taken nothing after that, I could be a lot better by now.

[e1...]

Oh my gosh, that is a nightmare.  I'm so sorry you've had to go through all that.  These drugs are poison.  I was on citroprolam for many years while on klonopin, then taken off both and put on zoloft.  I'm guessing that's what is causing this.  Its just weird how it's gotten way worse lately, it feels like there are electric currents going through my foot and all up my leg.  It's so odd that it's only on one side.

'

Yes, these drugs are poison. Some of us can't metabolise SSRIs or SNRIs.

It may be the zoloft withdrawal that's causing this. I know zoloft withdrawal can give people akathisia. I think zoloft affects dopamine in some way. It's so hard to know. I see you too have been on and off different drugs.

I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe stabilising on what you're currently taking before slowly titrating off? I don't know enough about it to be able to advise.

I think a lot of one sided stuff can happen in withdrawal. I've had various one sided things in all of this.

I hope you're ok today.

[e1...]
Last night my boyfriend massaged my feet and legs for over an hour.  I felt like I was in heaven and the akasthesia completely went away.  I still have it today, but not as severe.  Maybe it's a temporary solution. :)

• 5 weeks later...

I never knew there was a name for this. My hands seem to have a life of their own. They continually tap out messages. Over and Over Endlessly. Of course, the message is never a good one. I don't really tell anyone except my husband about this symptom.

Rumination and Tapping. Anyone else have moving fingers. The rest of me is okay except the jolts, jerks, and jumps of my leg muscles at night.

Chaffinch,

I have akathisia. You should read Angie's akathisia blog. She had really awful akathisia and now she helps other people through this HELL.

You have a very similar story to a friend of mine. I'm actually wondering if it is you! Where abouts in the Uk do you live?

x

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
yeah i feel lonely in all groups. i go into akathisia groups but find people who didnt do the thing i did or say the things i said or thought the things i thought. who didnt lose the plot and end up in the nut hut and tortured alive. who didnt share too much info. who arent parents. etc. like i belong no where

yeah i feel lonely in all groups. i go into akathisia groups but find people who didnt do the thing i did or say the things i said or thought the things i thought. who didnt lose the plot and end up in the nut hut and tortured alive. who didnt share too much info. who arent parents. etc. like i belong no where

boymom,

I'm sorry you're in such a bad place right now but when you resurrect very old threads you're not going to find many of the original posters.  You will get more responses if you post on the Withdrawal Support (during your taper) board, it's by far the most active board on the forum.

Pamster

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...