Need advice: At 2.5 mg V, direct tapered from T. Wanting to go down in dose.

[mo...]

Hello everyone.

How's your taper progressing?

So I'm at 2.5 mg Valium and feeling a bit better. How long have u generally waited before tapering down? My situation is that I was between 3-5 mg Temazapan for 8 months prior to the direct taper to 2.5 mg V.    Switched from T to V on 9/2.  Could I conceivingly go down to 2 mg V within 7 days? I'm not wanting to get to caught up in the V either. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I personally wouldn't because I could never do a cut and hold taper. I tried when I was at my starting dose of 5mg, and even cutting 0.25mg was disasterous. The only way I could successfully taper off valium was with a daily liquid taper. However, everyone is different and you may be able to make those larger one-off cuts.

However, if you have only just switched to valium by a direct cross over, I would definitely hold where you are for at least 2-3 weeks to make sure everything is okay before you start tapering.

First of all, I believe it's not that you're not already caught up, (dependent), on the Valium.  Your dependency, IMO, is a benzo dependency.  So whichever benzo you replace another benzo with just continues the benzo dependency.  Some folks think that when they switch benzos, that because they have not been on the second benzo as long, means they can taper off more quickly.  It doesn't usually work this way.

Remember when I posted to you that Valium can take longer to taper than a short acting Benzo, I've seen this happen quite often.  If I wanted to continue dry cutting, I might do .25mg cuts to see if I could get to zero this way.  I would personally not begin my Valium taper after I had crossed over for 3-4 weeks.  This should give Valium enough time to reach a steady state.  These benzos, although some like Valium are classified as being weak, are actually very potent.  Right down to the last crumb.  I'd taper off slowly if I were in your shoes and allow my body to get adjusted to each drop, as I very slowly tapered myself off.  Good luck.

Thank u both. Good solid advice. I will wait at least 2 weeks and go from there. Whether .25 cuts or liquid. Not sure how to do the liquid exactly, but I'm sure someone can help me :)

Thank u both. Good solid advice. I will wait at least 2 weeks and go from there. Whether .25 cuts or liquid. Not sure how to do the liquid exactly, but I'm sure someone can help me :)

:thumbsup:  Yep, I'd hold as well and when the two weeks are up, we'll get you squared away on the liquid titration.  I would imagine that will work best for you since you're so sensitive to cuts.

Sensitivity to larger cuts is the reason I switched to titration too.  I used this method all the way down from 1mg and it served me well.  Cut and hold was much more difficult to endure and making much smaller daily cuts allowed me to remain functional and continue working all during my taper.

There are many members who do the liquid titration thing and if you decide to use that method you will receive plenty of advice.

Good Luck!

Hello challis and Eliz. On 100% on on the water titration train. I need to speak to my doc to order the  liquid.  So I get the 5mg/5ml liquid, correct? I have al syringe that goes down to .02.  Do I need anything else?

I did not use the liquid valium because I would not have been able to convince any doctor to prescribe it.  I dissolved my tablets per the method in my signature.  The syringe sounds like the same one I used though.  10ml with .2 graduations?

There are many members here who did and do use the liquid valium.  Diaz-Pam is one of them.  If you look at the links in her signature she describes her method very well.