Amoxicillin

[Ph...]

I know that the quinolone antibiotic family is to be avoided. I found this out the hard way over a year ago before I knew that my venzo was my problem - I was on Avelox and it threw me into a bad withdrawal state. When I switched to Amoxicillin I felt somewhat better but I still felt sickish.

I also know that Prof. Heather Ashton noted that Quinolones should be avoided but she didn't mention which antibiotics are well-tolerated!

My entire life without benzos I have been able to tolerate Amoxicillin.

However now I may have strep throat and a UTI. My doctor is too busy to see me, so he went by my symptoms alone and prescribed me Amoxicillin 500mg 3x daily.

I did a search in the searchbar and heard some people didn't respond well to it during withdrawal.

Now I don't know if I should take it.

I won't misconstrue anyone's personal opinions for medical advice; I just need to know if this antibiotic is "known" to worsen or affect benzodiazepine withdrawal.

So sorry for the two questions here.... just feeling rather ill and don't know what to do about it.  :-[

Love, always,

Leeandy Nova

I did the same search and saw several who tolerated it well.  I'm afraid it's the same old story: your mileage may vary.  I do think that, because it's one of the oldest and best known antibiotics, I would take it if I had an infection.  I'd feel a lot worse with an out of control infection than from possible side effects of the antibiotic.  If you don't know for sure that you actually have an infection, then it probably isn't a good idea to take an antibiotic regardless of whether you are tapering.  Don't want to build up a resistance through unnecessary use.

I did the same search and saw several who tolerated it well.  I'm afraid it's the same old story: your mileage may vary.  I do think that, because it's one of the oldest and best known antibiotics, I would take it if I had an infection.  I'd feel a lot worse with an out of control infection than from possible side effects of the antibiotic.  If you don't know for sure that you actually have an infection, then it probably isn't a good idea to take an antibiotic regardless of whether you are tapering.  Don't want to build up a resistance through unnecessary use.

I agree. I think what I might do is request a test to see if I even HAVE  an infection to begin with! I don't want to put myself through this for no reason. sigh.

Hi Comisado..just thought I would make a comment..

I too have been prescribed amoxicillin for an upper respitory infection and it is one I can usually tolerate really well..but not this time.. it made my digestive system go completely haywire with ongoing pain that I won't go into .. and it did for me make my wd worse or more pronounced ... everyone is different though and if you have an infection as bad as strep ..then by all means you need an antibiotic to clear that up.. use your best judgement  and get check out that way you will know for sure what route you need to go..

wishing you better..    :smitten:                          WS