Nexium and anxiety

[Wi...]

Hey buddies I thought it would be good to post some info I have found out by experimenting on myself and by reading up on nexium and how to get off of it..Well that led me to some interesting info on nexium and increased anxiety...something I really didn't know about..

well to make a long story short... I have to take nexium for gerd or acid reflux...I have it pretty bad..and I wanted to find a way to come off of it..came across the info and decided to miss my daily dose and see what happens..

the results:

yesterday took nexium and had bad anxiety issues which I thought were due to wd..all night..

today no dose of nexium and guess what ! no anxiety now...

not saying everyone who takes ppi's will get a reaction from it like anxiety and some have experienced numbness in the face among other things but it is certainly worth experimenting with..

now I have to get off this stuff next and very soon..

I do know it inhibits absorbtion of certain vitamins and calcium being one of them and that is not good ..

therefore long term usage puts you at risk for brittle bones and fractures..!

WOW... just what ya wanted to hear I know ... but don't take my word for it ..check it out for yourself   

we all have a hard enough time coming off of benzos without having to worry about taking a fricking stomach pill for gerd  >:(

I hope this helps someone out there ..I sure was glad to know about it..

WS

Hi W.S., I was on Previcid which is similar if not the same. I read the same thing! I don't want anything even a histamine blocker bugging my brain right now so I stopped taking it. Most of the time I don't need it. It took a while to get off it, but it has been so worth it!! My girlfriend found it was really bad for her too! It caused all the signs of dementia for her! Now she's doing great!

Hey WW.

unfortunately for me ..I am in a hard spot now..since I haven't been taking the nexium regularly..well I am now in awful pain..my chest is hurting all the way up to my throat ..started last night as a matter of fact..

I had a heck off a panic attack too after taking some melatonin to sleep.. I am currently damned if I do and damned if I don't as I have  no insurance to go the doctor but I can't keep going in pain all the time either..

I reluctantly took my nexium this morning though because of the pain I have been experiencing and some of it may be from wd..too I dunno ..also took a tums today and a gas-x to get some relief .nothing is helping me though :o ..my bp got up to 154/103 oh around 4:30 this morning so had to take a pinch off my old bp meds and took a benedryl and finally got some sleep but woke up feeling so groggy this morning ..yuck

called pharmacist and he said that melatonin wouldn't cause a panic attack ..I told him I was coming off of valium and he said " well a lot a crazy things can happen when you come off of that" I said no kidding and that I had done been to hell and back already and looks like I am going on a another trip... :o  ::)

I will be looking into the all natural stuff and hopefully I will find something that works for me ..and yeah the dementia sucks thats for sure..I got that too..I just keep telling myself that something just isn't right about that.. :)

WW... if you know of anything else I can do for this gerd/hiatel hernia situation I sure would appreciate it..

I am looking into DGL with mastic gum for this and also some d-limone I hope I got the last one right..

I know wd makes everything worse and for me the bad is happening all over again..I am starting to get my allergic symptoms again along with the dizziness when I go certain places ..stores mainly..

not sure whether it is toxicity or just wd...my mind is so frazzled at the moment.. :pokey: I just don't know what to think...I thought I was doing so good and then bam.. :crazy:..I was so calm all day yesterday and then ..BAM.. the calm before the storm is what I say..sorry I know this is not the thread to post all this so I will go back to my page and continue ..

thanks a bunch  :smitten:          WS

Hi W.S., what I have found is that when acid is bad I take it....it did take awhile before I could take it less. I eat a big salad every night dressed with olive oil and cider vinegar and I drink the raw milk. Just be patient it took me a long time to get my stomach o.k. but it is very much worth it. I think. I knew my body really needed to be able to use the protein I was eating to mend my CNS. I know those proton pump inhibitors prevent that. So I just did what I could when I could and for the most part I do very well now. One thing I have noticed that may or may not be related is that my sweat smells good again. I was never someone who needed a ton of deodorant until the benzo nightmare.....P.U!!!...........I couldn't stand myself during tolerance!! >:(  I was always stinky and sweaty and gobbing on the deodorant. Now I'm back to my no sweat no stink self. :smitten: Thank goodness! But I do think that went back to normal when my digestion did. :)

Hi W.S.,

I was on Previcid, along with all the other stuff they had me on for whatever 'illness' I had, and had tried to get off several times while on benzos.  I never could because of the pain I would be in, the burning was awful.  Finally one dr. told me that all these meds for acid reflux, GERD, etc. have a really bad rebound reaction.  Trying to get off is worse than the original problem.  With diet and OTC Pepcid when needed, mostly at night, I seldom have a problem.  I didn't taper the Previcid, I ct'ed it along with everything else, but maybe it's something you could taper and not have so much of the rebound effect.

I just started skipping nights. Then more and more until I didn't need it. I did have to use zantac a few times but not much. But I wonder if you change to a pill you could cut like zantac if that would work to taper? It sure sounds like it would. And T.S. is right it does have a rebound effect! Isn't that surprising?.........NOT!!! :tickedoff:

wow.. thanks for the info everyone... I know about the  rebound effect too and I have been trying to cut the nexium back too ..taking it every other day..

this morning I took a zantac 300mg sript strength though and it gave me awful side effects too.. my right side of face went numb.. hands started sweating and just didn't feel well at all... I knew I needed to get it outta my system so I went home and took me a activated charcoal capsule being having my benzo on the counter mixed up and ready to go just in case it soaked up all that too or at least what was left in my system...

I think the pain I am experiencing is from the upper resperitory infection cause I am running a fever so I am starting my antibiotics tonight when I eat supper .and I do have the cough syrup they gave me too.. which of course has psuedoephedrine and an antihistime and codeine so that tends to make me way too hyper so only gonna take it if absolutely necessary...funny how codeine hypes me up and puts others to sleep...

I agree with the nexium or ppi's in general causing dementia.. I have had that problem too..way too much and it seems like I just can't focus or concentrate on what I need too..

they inhibit calcium uptake also ,can cause migraines ,gastritis(I had that) ..how they can prescribe something like that to someone knowing they are not for long term use I dunno.. well yeah I do .. the fricking

money :tickedoff:  I probably would already be off of the benzos if it wasn't for the nexium causing anxiety and dizziness when I take it.. and me getting mixed signals about it all not knowing if it was the taper or the nexium or both... >:(

WW.. I wondered why my sweat was stinking too.. :laugh: well now I know  :) I will be glad when I reach my

end too..i will make it .. as for my daughteres x-boyfreind.. well he better be lucky I didn't have a weapon ..cause I was mad enough to use it..  :tickedoff:  and that would not have been pretty ..talk about getting commited .  :crazy: .they would have sent me to the looney bend.... :laugh: cause I was one upset woman that day .. I need to shut up about that .. its getting me tore up again... :)

Take care everyone ..                        :smitten:            WS                               

oh yeah ..I read this in one of my health books... some people cannot digest sugar...therefore causing mental problems such as schizophrenia and anxiety for example when ingested...  The enzyme amylase is resonsible for the breakdown of sugars .. It is in digest gold that I happen to have..

(don't remember where I read this but) it is more common to be lactose intolerant but being sugar intolerent is also possible.. There was a study done with some mental patients  in a hospital.. they payed attention to their behavior when they ate sugar and almost 100% of the time they got worse when sugar was ingested ...

when put on a sugar free diet with no artificial sweeteners either ..and given enzymes to digest their food ..all of them recovered from their mental illness ..isn't that remarkable.....

In some way I think I have several intolerences ..I don't digest fat well hence all the burping I do ...I don't think I digest sugars well either cause I always get worse as far as anxiety goes when I ingest it..

and all which can lead to digestive issues which I am currently on nexium for  :tickedoff:

my conclusion .. I am gonna start taking digest gold with every meal... I am gonna take acid soothe enzymes for heartburn and ph basic to help with the acid in my body and see how it goes..

I must like being a guinea pig huh?  except this time I am doing it my way and not what the doc says I should take... :)

oh yeah digest gold has all the enzymes in it for all foods  and unless you eat a raw diet then I know none of us are getting our enzymes.... in case anyone is wondering about  the books I have the names are

1) The Enzyme Cure by- Lita Lee Ph.D  found it on amazon.com  (cure for cancer in it too)

2) Enzymes What the Experts Know - the role of Enzyme Therapy in Restoring,Promoting and Maintaining Optimal Health  by- Tom Bohager

the books mentions anyone having glandular probs like thyroid to take powdered glandulars to help get the gland to funciton right again.. but tests are also necessary to find out why the gland is failing to begin with..

hey its a start  ;)

I have a CD that talks about enzymes that I would be glad to copy send to anyone who wants it.just pm me if you are interested ... it give you a general idea about what can be healed with enzymes but the books are just awesome though ....

THe body when givin what it needs will heal and I firmly believe that ...I vow to give up all meds and switch over to enzymes so my body can absorb the nutrients in the foods I eat instead of being blunted by the nexium and other meds...if it's the last thing I do.. I may have to wean myself off of  the nexium but I will convert over to the enzymes and the natural stuff soon...

love and peace                              WS

yep..me too WW.  me too..  :)    sometimes we need some help or a quick start though.. :) 

I like the way you think  WW.. awh shoot  I love ya woman...  :thumbsup: 

WS

• 2 weeks later...

just for the record I am still off the nexium and doing ok... still taking the enzymes  and so far so good...I am not without heartburn 24/7 but I feel I am much better than I was before ....

:)  WS

Hi,

I have terrible acid reflux too - even before the benzos but the benzos definitely make it worse.

I currently take prilosec - it has none of the side effects like previcid or zantac do.  I tried zantac and got terrible anxiety  ":o" - it is listed as one of the side effects (if you look on the internet like on WEB MD, not on the box), but prilosec doesn't have anxiety as listed as one of them.  Even my PCP acknowledged that Zantac and previcid can cause anxiety in "normal" people" and that's why she switched me to prilosec.

I'm also starting probiotcis and  colon cleanse (just psysillium fiber not with added vitamins or minerals) to help with my terrible constipation  ":sick:".

Well good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Laura  ":smitten:"

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Lauraann

I agree with the zantac causing anxiety ..as it did me.. I took the prescription strength of 375mg too... :o

the nexium also done me that way...but both of them together made the anxiety through the roof for me...I wonder if tagamet does the same thing..I used to take that..oh well I am still not taking anything other than my acid soothe and ceasefire and it is helping me so no complaints here.. if I would just watch my diet then I am sure the reflux wouldn't be as bad as it is..

I am gonna be starting a complete colon cleansing regimine very soon that has the psyllium fiber in it also.. but it also has the charcoal and bentonite clay in it to absorb all the toxins so I gotta make sure the benzos are outta my system before I try that...and the probiotics I take are in the digest gold I use when I eat a meal...

just a bit of warning on the fiber ok? if you are not regular to begin with the fiber can swell up in your instestines and cause more problems such as a blockage and the probios can also cause constipation so be carefull with em gal...what you need is something to get the muscular action going in your colon before you start adding all that fiber...such as aloe vera ,plenty of magnesium , senna, or other natural stimulents...good luck Lauraann and just be carefull with whatever you do....

:smitten:  WS

• 2 months later...

Wild soul- My two cents worth. I have been on nexium or prevacid for 6 years. I can not associate it with any of my bouts of anxiety. Most of my anxiety is self induced. I do know trying to get off  a ppi you can get rebound acid reflux making it very difficult to get off- I tried and gave up it hurt so bad. I don't like the stuff either, but I dislike the thought (and anxiety) of Barrets esophogus and andenocarcinoma of the esophogus even worse. It does appear PPIs cause and increased incidence of hip fracture the older one gets. I have noticed that once I leave home for a few days my stomach problems almost clear up, I am wondering if I have some environmental factor contributing to my stomach problems. Also, I can tell you from my own experience of tapering off benzos, it messes with your stomach. Hope you get to feeling better

Pokey