Temezapam 3.25 mg to Valium equivalent dose

[mo...]

Hello,

I am about to start taking 2 mg of Valium to substitute for the 3.5 mg of Temazapan I have been on.

When substituting at such a low dose of Valium for the temazapan will I need to take both medications, or can I shift directly to the Valium?

That's a good question.  It is good you are crossing and going up a little from 3.5mg T to 2mg V.  I think T is half as potent as V so it is a small updose which is a good thing when crossing.

I don't know the answer, but my instinct tells me to do it in stages of .5mg V.  Ashton has an example of a T to V cross from 30mg T to 15mg V here...

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

She allows 4-8 weeks before tapering.  I would think even at the low dose of 2mg V it would not matter.  You would still need the same amount of time to cross.  But I could be wrong.  The V still needs to build to 2mg and it would take the same amount of time I think.

I'm going to give you my honest opinion about this cross over to Valium... at 3.75mg of Temazepam, I think you may be opening up a new can of worms crossing to Valium at this point.  3.75 is very low and if it were me, I'd be taking a little more powder out of the capsule every few days and get this done. 

In some of your previous posts you said you wanted to get this done quickly.  Crossing to Valium takes a few weeks and then you stabilize and then you begin tapering the Valium.  You'll still have symptoms and possibly worse ones than you have now because of the cross over.  No one ever knows for sure how the cross is going to work out.  Ashton recommends tapering from the original benzo unless previous tapers have failed.

You're almost there.  The amount you're taking is less than the equivalent amount of Xanax that I jumped from.  Again, if it were me I wouldn't even consider crossing to another benzodiazepine at this point.

Thank you Challis.  The problem I am having is that the side effects of the withdrawal even when I went down from 3.5 to 3.1/3.2 were substantial.  Sweats, insomnia, shortness of breath and diarrhea and bloating.  Crazy.  I mean it seems substantial despite such a minor taper.  The switch to valium was more for the sleep aspect and calming of the anxiety that seems to be present.  I did the taper all the way down just by taking out powder but for whatever reason now, it seems harder all the way around.  Your thoughts?