Tapering off Klonopin is hell

[kl...]

I am an attorney with high stress.  At my last firm, during a trial, I went to a psychiatrist to talk out my anxiety.  This was September 2012.  He then pushed 0.25mg of klonopin on me to help me sleep.  It worked but gradually I went up to 0.5.  Five months ago I had a series of stressful personal events occur and my doctor told me to take 1-3mg a day which I did for two months.  Huge mistake. My personality changed, I got majorly depressed.  My wife and I started to read more about klonopin and were shocked my doctor told me to take it daily.  I began to taper slowly.  I'm at 0.9375mg but I'm depressed every day and life no longer seems happy anymore.  I want desperately to get off and to continue to taper.  I have wild mood swings and at night I feel better than midday.

I am joining this community for support.  I feel so alone and sad. My whole family is sad for me. Today is my birthday and I canceled my party because crowds now make me anxious although I was once gregarious.

I just want help and support.

Hello klonopinisevil, and welcome!  Glad you've found us.  And congratulations on your klonopin taper so far.  Your story of gradual increases in dosage and dependency is very common, and it's why benzos are so insidious.  Here are a few links you'll find useful:

Withdrawal Support (during your taper).

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field.  She describes and explains withdrawal symptoms, and there is also a section with withdrawal/taper schedules.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

:smitten:

Thank you for the reply.  I just created a signature.

I have read the Ashton manual.  The tough part is getting a doctor to prescribe me diazepam so I can crossover.  The best I've been able to do is get 0.125mg tabs that I can cut in half to get 1/16mg doses.

I am so very sad all the time.  I hope I can get better.  It seems so dark now.

:) welcome, you are not alone. So many of us began our benzodiazepine journey innocently just like you. This is a wonderful place for resources and support. The collective wisdom of our members is enourmous.  You have been on them for quite some time. Personally I would do a very careful taper to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Don't be sad. Things will get better.

Welcome from me as well,

While on clonazepam (klonopin) I was sad much of the time as well as sick. What I didn't know is that I reached tolerance to the dose I was taking.  So many times I cried buckets because of my situation and not being sure what was going on with me.  Although withdrawal was rough and my recovery took some time, once I was healed from the changes benzos make to the nervous system, all those other symptoms went away. Life became what I remembered it was and even better. 

Stay the course and you'll see this happening for you as well.  Give your system a chance to recover, being benzo free and well is pretty amazing.

pianogirl

I too had no warnings as I slowly built up to 2 mg a day of clonazepam for many years. It's frustrating and sad that years of our lives have been stolen from us and now we have to waste many more in withdrawal. There is hope though and it's so good to hear other success stories for encouragement.

To get me through the rough times I think about the good things. We can heal it just takes time, I start to look at each part of my body and remember that time couldn't heal blindness, paralysis, a missing finger, etc. it's weird but thinking that way makes me realize its not permanent.

Hang in there and keep a daily sx journal so you can see little improvements!

Hi klonopinisevil,

Welcome to BB from me too.  A great deal of us were prescribed klonopin for fairly benign reasons only to be dismissed by our doctors when we reached out for help.  I was only on them for six weeks and complained to my doctor that they were making my insomnia worse and that I was feeling shaky and unstable during the day as a result of taking them.  He told me it was all in my head and if I did not like taking them to just stop, and the rest is in my signature.

I hope very much that you find the comfort and reassurance you need from the people on this site.  I don't know where I would be today if I had not stumbled on to it while searching the internet for answers.  No matter how bad it is now, you will be able to taper off this drug and you will get your life back. 

I wish you good luck on the rest of your taper  :smitten: