Extreme Benzo Abuse

[am...]

I am joining BenzoBuddies because I have had an addiction to benzodiazepines for the past two years. I severally abused them. I was originally prescribed Klonopin and also Ativan. However, in my addiction i also heavily abused Xanax and Valium. At my worst I was  taking 15+ mg of Xanax a day, and would take a few ativan and klonopin on top of it. I have tapered off of them several times, only to relapse a few months down the road. I finally went to rehab where they did an EXTREMELY fast taper, which was stupid on part of the doctor, and tapered me off in a week. I am now in a recovery house. I suffer from post-acute withdrawls and have severe muscle pain that comes and goes. Emotionally I am doing better than I have in the past though. I need help with coping with my w/d symptoms and cravings.

Hi amberdawn :hug:

Welcome to Benzobuddies, Congratulations on being benzo free, I am so sorry about your fast taper experience. Benzodiazepines should be tapered slowly. The withdrawal symptoms, are temporary but it does take some time for the CNS to recover. I will put a link to the Ashton manual here for you: Professor Ashtons Manual It is an authoritative resource on benzodiazepines and withdrawals

Please feel free to post to any of the dedicated boards, I am sure one of our members will be along shortly to welcome you, we have a wonderful community of people here, who will give sound advice. Members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal and are more than willing to share their experiences.

Here is link to the Post withdrawal support Post withdrawal recovery support board

You might also like to visit the success story board, Success Stories

If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to Create a signature

Please let us know If you have any questions.

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

Hi Amberdawn,

I admire your honesty. You must have gone through a lot, and Im glad you found us. You are not alone in your history of benzo abuse. These drugs are widely used and widely abused. And the withdrawal can be hell for some people, and can last quite a long time.

It has been 2 years since I went cold turkey off a high dose of Klonapin, plus Ambien, plus two antidepressants. I went through a horrible acute withdrawal, and then felt simply insane and sick for about a year. But it finally began to get better, and I can tell you that despite how bad it was, it was worth it. I am healthier now than Ive been in 12 years. My depression is pretty much gone, my anxiety is normal, and the vast majority of withdrawal symptoms are simply gone.

Coping with symptoms is a challenge for many of us. For me, distracting myself was the biggest help. I learned to keep busy and I still keep busy! I am distracting myself right this minute, from my remaining symptoms. If you could describe your symptoms a little more, we can help you much better.

east

:thumbsup: