Help - PLEASE with Tapering - Oxazepam to Diazepam

[...]

:yippee:Hi Everyone.

I would really value some suggestions or thoughts on substitution tapering.

MY BB & MED HISTORY:

Oct  2007 3 x 15mg Alepam  (Oxazepam) 3 times daily (45mg) (for mainly work related stress & anxiety)

Dec 2008 PDr prescribed 1 x 5mg Dexamphetamine Sulph 2 times per day (supposedly for ADD – I was in early fifties!)

Dec 2010 GP increased Alepam dose to 30mg 3 times daily (90mg).

?      2011 Again stress increased & big family problems - GP - increased Oxazepam dosage to (120mg per day).

May 2013 Again in trouble -Responsible job/long hrs & still unaware bad physical symptoms were tolerance & w/d - GP increased dosage to 210mg Oxazepam per day.

May 2014 In acute tolerance & w/d. GP sent me to PDr & was admitted to Detox Hospital for 3 wks rapid withdrawal.

(I was not, at any stage, informed of effects or consequences of these drugs or that tolerance symptoms were result of drugs prescribed or that more drastic effects were yet to come from this rapid withdrawal.  Just told I would feel better once discharged & drugs were now eliminated.) 

Daily MEDICATION as at 30 AUGUST 2014

4 x 30mg OXAZEPAM per day reinstated after hospitalisation & detox from dosage 

2 x 10mg TEMAZEPAM per night (for sleep)–introduced in Hospital 29 May 2014

2 x 2mg MELATONIN per night (Slow release compound capsule) - introduced by PDr 4 Aug 2014

2 x 5mg DEXAMPHETAMINE taken 7am & midday daily (Intro by PDr 8 yrs ago for ADD)

Below is PDr’s latest Taper Schedule. This is ONLY to REPLACE the 120mg OXAZEPAM I am currently taking & was introduced to somewhat stabilize me after 2 days released from Detox Hospital. Other meds remain as per above till Oxazepam is eliminated. Then, I guess, more tapering from other meds. WOW!! Seems like a hopeless journey as I type this & don't how I'll make it - but determined to give it a good try!!

Proposed Taper Schedule:

Stage 1

(1 week)  1st dose (Oxaz 30mg)   2nd dose (Oxaz 30mg)  3rd dose (Oxaz 15mg & Diaz 5mg)

4th dose (Oxaz 30 mg)

Stage 2

(1 week) 1st dose (Oxaz 15mg & Diaz 5mg)  2nd dose (Oxaz  30mg)

3rd dose  (Oxaz 15mg & Diaz 5mg)  4th dose (Oxaz 30mg)

Stage 3

(1 week) 1st dose (Oxaz 15mg & Diaz 5mg)  2nd dose (Oxaz 15mg & Diaz 15mg) 

3rd dose (Oxaz 15mg & Diaz 5mg)  4th dose (Oxaz 30mg)

Stage 4

(1-2 wks) 1st dose (Oxaz 15mg & Diaz 5mg)  2nd dose (Oxaz 15mg & Diaz 5mg)

3rd dose  (STOP OXAZ & Diaz 5mg)  4th dose (Oxaz 30mg & Diaz 5mg)

Stage 5

(1-2 wks) 1st dose  (STOP OXAZ & Diaz 5mg)  2nd dose  (Oxaz 15mg & Diaz 5mg)

3rd dose  (Diaz 5mg)  4th dose  (Oxaz 30mg & Diaz 5mg) 

Stage 6

(1-2 wks) 1st dose  (Diaz 5mg STOP OXAZ)  2nd dose (Diaz 5mg) 3rd dose (Diaz 5mg)

4th dose  (Oxaz 30mg & Diaz 5 mg)

Stage 7

(1-2 wks) 1st dose (Diaz 5mg)  2nd dose  (Diaz 5mg)  3rd dose  (Diaz 5mg)

4th dose  (Oxaz 15mg & Diaz 5mg)

Stage 8

(1-2 wks) 1st dose  (Diaz 5mg)  2nd dose  (Diaz 2.5mg)  3rd dose  (Diaz 5mg) 

4th dose (Diaz 5mg)

Stage 9

(1-2 wks) 1st dose  (Diaz 5mg)  2nd dose  (Diaz 2.5mg) 3rd dose  (Diaz 2.5mg)

4th dose  (Diaz 5 mg)

CONTINUE Reduction after visit to PDr for further schedule.

One BIG concern I have is dosage equivalents that my PDr has that are different than what is written in Prof ASHTON'S MANUAL Schedule 10. Withdrawal from OXAZEPAM with DIAZEPAM substitution:

Ashton Manual states - 20MG OXAZEPAM is equivalent to 10mg DIAZEPAM.

My PDr who prescribed the above Schedule is strongly of the opinion that: 

30mg OXAZEPAM equivalent to 10mg DIAZEPAM.

This appears to be a large discrepancy to me & from my recent experience of his last taper schedule that was direct c/o to Diazepam & which I lasted on for only 2 days & crashed so badly that I need to re-instate to ‘just holding’ dose of 4 x 30mg Oxazepam per day = 120mg - a fairly large cut from 210mg that I was taking pre detox rapid Detox in Hospital.

I’m really anxious but know I need to start tapering tomorrow or next day & still have not stabilised after the horrendous pain & suffering I’ve experienced since Hospital at end of May.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding this latest schedule?  It seems too drastic to me – but maybe it’s my irrational ‘foggy’ brain playing tricks??

I’m not coping very well at present & totally dreading to start taper as w/d symptoms still severe. Your replies would be greatly appreciated!!   

Blessings & many thanks to everyone - so glad I found BB, 

Mmoo

Hello Mmoo.  Welcome to the forum.

Yes, your doctor is not following the Ashton equivalencies of 20mg of Oxazepam to 10mg Valium equivalency.  To crossover according to Ashton, you would need 60mg of Valium to replace 120mg of Oxazepam.  At a the 30mg Oxazepam to 10mg Valium equivalency your doctor is using, this would have you crossing over to 40mg of Valium, rather than Ashton's 60mg.

I don't know what to say other than this is a significant difference.  However, I have read in the Ashton Manual that when folks are taking high dosages, they 'might' not need the full Valium dose. 

The schedule your doctor proposed seems to have you doing a pretty steep taper at the same time you cross over.  What I've seen most people do is fully cross over to Valium, and then wait around 2-4 weeks to allow the Valium to continue building up in their system, (because Valium accumulates while reaching a steady state in the bloodstream).  Then after stable on all Valium, the slow taper off is begun.

In short, I would wish to fully cross over to Valium.  Wait for the med to build up in my system and only then begin to reduce my Valium.  Good luck with this.  I hope your doctor will work with you and I'm so sorry you had to suffer due to the detox.

Hi Juliea,

Thanks for your response & suggestions - greatly appreciated.

Think I'll start tapering on Ashton's equivalent of Oxaz to Diaz - but as I look at starting at Level 1 (for 1 week only & then another same cut in 2nd week), feel this is too much for me to handle at this stage.  As I see it, & please let me know if anyone thinks I might have it wrong, cutting one dose of Oxaz (very short half-life) by half & substituting with Diaz (very long half-life) doesn't allow time for the Diaz to accumulate in bloodstream quickly enough to combat the effects of half dose Oxaz.

Please excuse foggy brain - but can't seem to figure out initial cut & substitution. Any suggestions from anyone re amounts etc to start Taper would be very much appreciated.  Also know my body pretty well & being in acute w/d at present am VERY afraid to start anything that would tip me 'over the edge', so to speak.

I'm so grateful to have found BB site & somewhere I believe people understand.  Everyone around me are saying that I'm 'imagining' my condition is much worse that it really is - especially my adult kids who are so accustomed to me always 'doing' things for them. Hubby is trying to understand - but only to a point that doesn't cause him too much inconvenience. My friends are pushing me to get out & have coffee/lunch/movies.  I can't even go out the front door except to Drs.  Been house/bed bound since coming out of rapid Detox.  Feeling quite a failure & pretty hopeless about the future.

Sad thing is, that all my life I've never ever smoked (anything) or drunk any alcohol whatsoever or taken any drugs (recreational etc).  Didn't know what doctor gave me in 2007 would have this effect.  Thought & trusted I was given these meds to help me through a really rough patch.  Feel sorry & stupid that I didn't do any research before taking them.

Sorry for rambling on so much & thanks again for responding.  I'm so grateful to be able to express myself without being reprimanded!!

Hope to hear again soon,

Blessings to the lovely people on this BB Forum,

Mmoo

Hi Everyone,

I'm living on other side  of the world to most on this BB site so understand the time difference in getting replies.

Last w/end  posted a message asking for help in starting my taper from Oxazepam to Diazepam.  Haven't received any suggestions & too afraid to start tapering as feeling so unwell now since end of May.

Terrified of nxt PDr appointment as will be severely told off if I haven't started taper & also afraid he'll stop prescribing & know I probably won't make it through another c/t detox!!

I'm reading the success & also the horror stories of even micro tapering & I'm finding all this so confusing.  I think it must be my BZ brain at present bringing on all these fears & sense of hopelessness - but would really appreciate some support/feedback as there's none here - except my hubby whose being kind but doesn't really understand what's happening.

Would love to find a Benzo-wise Dr somewhere around here - but have come up with nothing as yet.

Think I'm just too old to do this - but very stuck with the future (or probably NO future)!!

Last answer was a Bump by Challis99 on 31st Aug - 1 week ago.

Can anyone help me asap please?  Really desperate.

Blessings to all,

Mmoo

• 9 months later...
[60...]

Hey Mmoo, how's it going?

I stumbled upon this thread by chance and felt compelled to ask how you're doing at the moment?  I scanned your profile and saw the above was your last post and I felt terrible that you hadn't received more replies.

I won't have all the knowledge you'll need but I'm on GMT (uk) and I can draw some attention towards your posts from those who will..

If I can help get the ball rolling I'd be happy to contribute something.

I hope you're doing ok wherever you are Mmoo,

J :hug: