Does alcohol tolerance equate to healing?

[5e...]

[5e...]

I'm just starting month #8 after my c/t.  I consider myself 80-ish percent healed, and am pretty much able now to drink whatever alcohol I want.  Earlier in my withdrawal just a single beer would mess me up bad.  So in my mind, I have kind of equated my ability to consume alcohol with my level of healing.

I'm curious about how many people who consider themselves mostly or entirely healed have noticed a similar trend (or not).  As a follow up - if you feel mostly healed, and if you can drink again, has that translated to being able to handle other 'stuff' like MSG or caffeine or other meds.  I'm wondering if one's ability to (again) consume alcohol can be used as a barometer for benzo healing.  Thoughts??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I think alcohol could be a barometer of healing. My tolerance for etoh, suger, chocolate, stress, etc. seemed to improve at about the same rate my benzo symptoms faded.

Due to several extremely stressful personal situations I have remained on 2mg valium for the past 12 weeks & hope to continue with my reduction at the end of this week.

Before my withdrawal I always enjoyed a glass of wine or two in the evenings, but gave it up when I started to withdraw.  About a week ago I was re-reading Prof. Ashton's manual in which she states that a glass or two of wine is perfectly permissible, although it is  important not to substitute increasing doses of alcohol for decreasing doses of benzodiazapines.  Moderation is the key she says.  Well, being of a cautious  nature I thought I would try half a glass of wine which I have enjoyed without feeling any symptoms in additions to those I already have, which are bearable.  Will see what happens when I start reducing again.

8 months and you can drink again, wow your superman compared to everyone else  :thumbsup:

I am new here but I'm off 22 long months and everyone tell ME not to drink until I'm real again ?

Boognish why is it not the same ? What is different ?

I was looking forward to getting drunk again when I'm healed ????

[5e...]

I'm not Superman (although my wife gave me a Superman costume back when I was in acute withdrawal). 

Recovery rate depends on many things - most of which none of us are aware of.  I was willing to repeatedly (and carefully) 'test the waters' to see if/when I'd be able to drink again.  Many people are fearful of what alcohol might do, and don't try.  Some other individuals drink too much their first time and have a poor experience.  I think that I had my first 'successful' beer on April 15 (roughly the beginning of my 4th month).  I made a 12-ounce beer last 3-4 hours during the April 15 lunar eclipse (and actually, I recall that I didn't quite finish the beer).  I'm guessing that many people could handle alcohol at that rate.  I slowly, gently nudged it up from there - kind of a reverse taper.

I'm not Superman (although my wife gave me a Superman costume back when I was in acute withdrawal). 

Recovery rate depends on many things - most of which none of us are aware of.  I was willing to repeatedly (and carefully) 'test the waters' to see if/when I'd be able to drink again.  Many people are fearful of what alcohol might do, and don't try.  Some other individuals drink too much their first time and have a poor experience.  I think that I had my first 'successful' beer on April 15 (roughly the beginning of my 4th month).  I made a 12-ounce beer last 3-4 hours during the April 15 lunar eclipse (and actually, I recall that I didn't quite finish the beer).  I'm guessing that many people could handle alcohol at that rate.  I slowly, gently nudged it up from there - kind of a reverse taper.

Sounds good and very promising

Ha ha your wife giving you the superman suit, see she knows your made of good stuff, to her you are superman 💪

How many can you drink now in a sitting with no ill effect and no set back ??

Sometimes I wish I'd never read on here and other places as I loved a good drink on occasions like weddings, parties etc but all that went on hold out of fear..

Maybe I should get my girlfriend to buy me a superman suit so I can be brave enough to try my first beer in 2 years !!!

You give me hope that life might be ok again

Cheers

[5e...]

I can now drink any amount of alcohol that I wish with no set back (other than the standard hangover if I drink more than 4-5 'drinks').  I enjoyed a 21 year-old Glenfiddich Gran Reserva Rum Cask finished single malt a few nights ago.  Exquisite!!  :smitten:

I can now drink any amount of alcohol that I wish with no set back (other than the standard hangover if I drink more than 4-5 'drinks').  I enjoyed a 21 year-old Glenfiddich Gran Reserva Rum Cask finished single malt a few nights ago.  Exquisite!!  :smitten:

You lucky man, my lips just watered and my tongue dried up as I closed my eyes and imagined it going down, I used to love having a Jameson or Jack Daniels neat and I can still remember the warmt of it going down my throat and hitting that spot in your belly where you feel all warm and alive!!

Those where the days

I don't get to drink stuff like that very often.  You'll get to drink again some day.  Just take it slow, and you'll do fine.

Thanks Bud

The day I do will be a glorious day that I will treasure forever providing it all goes well

🍻

I think one reason not to drink much after getting off a benzo is because alcohol works on the same part of your nervous system that benzos do. I personally don't want to risk further damage to my brain (and other parts!) Maybe I feel strongly about it because I am kindled. But its worth thinking about. A lot of people find that after getting off a benzo, they no longer want or need that "warm fuzzy feeling."

east

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I think one reason not to drink much after getting off a benzo is because alcohol works on the same part of your nervous system that benzos do. I personally don't want to risk further damage to my brain (and other parts!) Maybe I feel strongly about it because I am kindled. But its worth thinking about. A lot of people find that after getting off a benzo, they no longer want or need that "warm fuzzy feeling."

east

:)

The first couple of times I drank the alcohol did very little to me. Now when I drink it's all coming back. When I was in WD I used to say I would never drink again out of fear of WD returning. I learned that's simply not the case (in my experience). I think at this point in my recovery it would take a lot of alcohol for a lot of days to bring back WD for me. That's not something I'll find out tho because I only drink once a month due to my schedule.

I miss drinking but it had become a problem for me and I gave it up in 2004 way before benzos. I would like to drink a 6 pack some times but I have a fatty liver and still in bad withdrawal. I guess I'm just too sick to drink lol but I sure miss it sometimes.