klonopin addiction 7 years

[...]

Hello Edro,  sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place!  I felt that way also.  If I went back it would have been to pain but to get away from the pain I would have to go through pain.  Sort of like being pregnant!  You wonder how that big head is going to come through that little space.  And you don't know whether to s*** or go blind.  You want to run but there is nothing to run from so you have to just like jump in the deep end and know that you will surface and feel much better later.  I am still tapering and when I first started tapering it was pretty unpleasant but when I looked back all I saw was darkness and a life given up because of a pill.  I didn't want to be enslaved by a pill.  I am beginning to feel better in my tapers, and can remember the last really lucid day I had, maybe last spring, where I wasn't tired or everything looked just dull.  Well I may be making things worse, but I just want you to know that it can be done, many have done it, and many will continue to.  I want to be in the success group.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [tr...]

• [st...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I admit i am pretty concerned,reading the articles about people who have protracted withdrawal issues is pretty scary to me.I do feel like im between a rock and a hardplace.The worst thing for me is that i have already been feeling very ill for about a year already and i have most of the withdrawal symptoms already and i havent even been tapering yet.It is really disturbing to read about people still not healed even after years of being off the benzos.This sucks. :'(

Yes I admit i am pretty concerned,reading the articles about people who have protracted withdrawal issues is pretty scary to me.I do feel like im between a rock and a hardplace.The worst thing for me is that i have already been feeling very ill for about a year already and i have most of the withdrawal symptoms already and i havent even been tapering yet.It is really disturbing to read about people still not healed even after years of being off the benzos.This sucks. :'(

edro,

It's not a big surprise you feel like crap, you are in tolerance.  Here's what I think.  I think you are going to feel much better sooner than you think.  I was in tolerance for over a year before I ct.  I'm older than you, I was on a much higher doses than you and I was on several other drugs that I ct'ed at the same time.  As bad as mine was it wasn't a death sentence and neither is yours.  I'm 15 months out and I'm doing everything I want to do.  And, while everyone's wd is different I think you are going to do much better than you think and it won't be years.  :)  I think you are going to surprise yourself.  ;)

TS

I really need to quit smoking too,i know that klonopin causes breathing problems,and man my lungs feel irratated should i quit smoking too?I have also been taking probiotics for my frequent bowel movements,i have also been herbal supplements for my kidneys,liver,thyroid,also i have been taking omega 3 fish oil,and would it be ok to take valerian for help sleeping,and will any of these things hurt or help my tapering?

Hi edro,

Your doctor thinks you are taking the 3 mg. tabs 3 times a day?  I assume you are taking the 3 mgs. at night to sleep, right?  What happens when you split this dose up to 3 times a day?  You would probably do better if you did take the med 3x a day (every 8 hours) or take smaller doses in the am and afternoon and take the larger dose at night.  It would help alleviate the interdose withdrawals that are affecting you now.  I am answering your question here so others can help you.

Once I started faithfully tapering (taking the same amount of benzo at the same time of day and doing my cuts) I was able to get the windows of relief from the symptoms and that is when I cut again.  I think you will find that once you get on a tapering schedule your symptoms will be lessened for a few days between cuts.  I was in a very bad place before I started tapering. 

Don't let some of the stories you have read about tapering scare you because it feeds into negative thinking.  This journey is all about empowerment and positive thinking.  Once you have that there will be no stopping you.

Patty  xo

I think you should wait to get off the klonopin before you tackle the smoking.  That would cause a great deal of stress for you.

Yes, supplements/vitamins can make your symptoms worse.  Omega 3 shouldn't be to bad but after you take it see how you feel, I had to stop taking it because I noticed it made me feel a little worse, but a lot of people take it with no problems.  

As with everything else, you have to see what works for you, or what doesn't work for you.  I, personally, would stay away from everything until you get leveled out.  :smitten:

But if i dont take the probiotics i defecate so much i dont know what is best for me.

You should stay on the probiotics.  I was talking about other supplements, you don't mention all of what you are taking and I was talking in general.  Some people take supplements hoping they will help with wd and they seldom do.  You have a real need for the probiotics so keep taking that.  Also, some of the supplements may be adding to your misery.  You need to be very careful with them.

:smitten:  TS

Hey edro,

I was finally "officially" diagnosed with IBS this past summer (after colonoscopy and endoscopy). I have been taking a probiotic pearl once a day since last February. It didn't interfere with my taper at all. I know we are all different, but I wouldn't think the probiotic would interact with the klonopin (IMO).

The worst thing for me is that i have already been feeling very ill for about a year already and i have most of the withdrawal symptoms already and i havent even been tapering yet.

I was in tolerance to the klonopin for a year. I actually started to feel BETTER after my 2nd or 3rd cut. I still got withdrawals on all my cuts, but NOTHING like the year I was in tolerance before I started tapering! Just think positively that it will be the same for you. If you cut the smaller amounts every 7-14 days (based on how you feel), I think you can have a tolerable taper. I am now 4 days of being benzo free and even though I am having some withdrawal symptoms, I know that so many have great success in the total healing process and I remind myself of just how bad it was during tolerance!! You can do this, just like so many others already have. Just take it one day at a time....

Lori :smitten:

Hey edro,

I haven't experienced dark urine during my taper. I don't think that I have read that to be a withdrawal symptom. Are you drinking enough water? A good amount of water in a day is equivalent ounces of water for half your body weight; if I weigh 100 pounds, I would drink 50 ounces of water. Right now, I drink 3-4 bottles of water a day. As far as memory, it gets better and worse throughout my taper and right now. During each of my cuts, I would experience "benzo fog" and have problems remembering things. That is normal for withdrawals. It can be frustrating, even embarassing at times, but it's all part of the healing process. Just try to stay determined and positive, which I know is easier said than done, but it does help.

Lori :smitten:

Hi edro,

I was on xanax from April to Aug.  According to the Ashton Manual withdrawal symptoms can be the same for those with short term or long term use.  Many of the members have been on benzos for many years and are doing well since off these horrible meds.  You will do it and will be so grateful to come out the other side.

Patty  xo

Thank you Teresa,I have a few things against me in this taper i am a chain smoker ,i pretty much cold turkeyed off the paxil a year ago ,i am a former opiate addict but i have been clean for months,i am in tolerance now and my doctor may or may not be any help to me because he may think i am up to something by asking for the .05s because he knows my past.But inver did drugs until a became manic on the paxil klonopin combo man i fell into a trap,does everyone still think i will feel better? :-\

Thank you Teresa,I have a few things against me in this taper i am a chain smoker ,i pretty much cold turkeyed off the paxil a year ago ,i am a former opiate addict but i have been clean for months,i am in tolerance now and my doctor may or may not be any help to me because he may think i am up to something by asking for the .05s because he knows my past.But inver did drugs until a became manic on the paxil klonopin combo man i fell into a trap,does everyone still think i will feel better? :-\

Hi edro,

I smoked throughout my taper. Sometimes, I did notice it revved me up but would try and only smoke 1/2 cigarette at a time during the anxious times. You should be pretty much symptom free from the Paxil since it has been a year. I think I read that you are taking 3mg of klono now and others have mentioned that you may be experiencing tolerance withdrawal. You may want to see if cutting makes you feel any better. Your first cut can be 1/4 of your 1mg pill to start out with, hold there for at least a week or two and see how you feel. We can then proceed from there. You just have to take control of your taper and not let the drugs take control of you. Let us know what you decide to do.

T2 :smitten:

I did cut a fourth of one of my pills 9 days ago i really dont feel any different then before .

So, you are still feeling pretty bad? Are you taking the klono once a day? You may feel better if you could slowly move your dosing to 3X/day before tapering anymore.

I did cut a fourth of one of my pills 9 days ago i really dont feel any different then before .

So, you are still feeling pretty bad? Are you taking the klono once a day? You may feel better if you could slowly move your dosing to 3X/day before tapering anymore.

edro, I agree with Theresa.  Since you are in tolerance you're not going to feel much difference with your cuts but you may get some relief if you can spread your dose out.