Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Why didn't Stevie nix's klonopin dep change the way doctors prescribe benzos?

[Bo...]

I don't get it!!  She is a American icon who was outspoken about her horrific klonopin experience.  The years she lost and suffered as the result of iatrogenic illness.

How was that not a wake up call to all doctors who prescribe benzos? 

Can someone explain this to me?!?!

Did she sue her psychiatrist? 

That fact that she got her life back and is back on stage gives me great hope.  I stupidly thought my doctor would get me well.  I just sicker and sicker right before her very eyes.  She never blamed the Benzo for any of my worsening symptoms.  It's criminal! 

She is only one single voice and that isn't much in the scope of things. Also, as far as I know she has mentioned the benzo issue in several interviews but I am not aware that she has ever done any "activist" stuff.

I was wondering about that myself, but as FG said, she's one voice. She has put that terrible time behind her except for mentioning it in interviews - which I thought would have a great effect. This problem with benzos is far more entrenched than I ever imagined it would be. It's something I absolutely don't understand and cannot ever forget about. Doctors constantly play a type of Russian roulette with these pills. Who's going to get addicted next? There's no way that they can know, and so it's all buried under the carpet in one giant sweep. And if some patients do happen to get addicted? It's all up to them because the doctor isn't going to be supportive for the most part. The patients are left with trying to pick up the pieces on their own for a very long time. 

I wonder also if it's because as a celeb she maybe doesn't have a lot of credibility with the medical fraternity, because celebs are well known for "abusing" various substances, and that's something Fleetwood Mac certainly did. Of course, this was a dependence on a prescription drug, but once someone has been branded as a "drug/alcohol abuser" maybe a lot of people lose interest in what they say.

They most likely branded her an "addict" since they gave her benzos for cocaine addiction. You know that evil "illegal" shite that's out of your system in days instead of f'n years (like something else we all now know, but wish we didn't). Makes perfect sense for a drug cartel (MD's/Big Pharma) and their minions though.

I would agree with the others. She lived a hard and fast life with a lot of drugs and alcohol.  Most people who you hear have had a problem with benzos in the news were abusing other drugs so they get lumped in with the addict group. That group dies not resonate with the general public. No one thinks they will become an addict.

I wonder also if it's because as a celeb she maybe doesn't have a lot of credibility with the medical fraternity, because celebs are well known for "abusing" various substances, and that's something Fleetwood Mac certainly did. Of course, this was a dependence on a prescription drug, but once someone has been branded as a "drug/alcohol abuser" maybe a lot of people lose interest in what they say.

yes, before klonopin she did quite large amt of cocaine.

drs would brand her drug abuser.

I would agree with the others. She lived a hard and fast life with a lot of drugs and alcohol.  Most people who you hear have had a problem with benzos in the news were abusing other drugs so they get lumped in with the addict group. That group dies not resonate with the general public. No one thinks they will become an addict.

There is little doubt that once one is lumped in with addiction their credibility is in question.  I think the credibility issue actually starts as soon as one is using a psych drug.  As soon as a problem develops, who is any one going to believe?  The experts or the psych patient?

Doctors will tell you as a new patient you shouldn't worry about the stigma associated with mental illness.

As soon as a problem develops, they will use that stigma to defend themselves.  It's a carefully crafted defense that has been in play for a very long time.

Few patients have the will or resources to fight and it's akin to professional suicide for any expert to buck the system.

The irony is that addiction issues do resonate with the general public, but not in a good way. Right or wrong it is seen as a purely psychological issue. If you are addicted to something you have a weak will. So as soon as benzo dependence is associated with addiction it is automatically discounted by most people because it is seen as something that YOU have direct control over.

This is why I hesitate to show anyone most of the books and articles that exist about benzo wd. Most of the articles that have been written miss the mark by mentioning the "potential for abuse" and such and even Matt Samets book would give an uninformed person the wrong idea because he talks about using benzos illegally. I have no doubt that he was as much a victim of psychiatry as any of us have been but perception is reality and as soon as someone hears that the benzo patient did something that might have contributed to their situation the blame shifts entirely to them. "You took a double dose one time in the ten years you were on the drug? Well there ya go! You abused the drugs....no wonder you are suffering!"

This is exactly what everyone is talking about about the Stevie situation. Since she was a former user of illegal drugs the problem HAS to be with her.

Maybe one day the pope or some other public figure who can do no wrong will have a brush with these drugs and it will make people stand up and pay attention. Not holding my breath for that though.

All the above posts make sense.

Does anyone remember when John Kerry's wife had a seizure and was hospitalized?  It was all over the news and they said that testing would be done to determine the cause.  She had no history of seizures I believe.  I often wonder if she had a Benzo/other drug/alcohol problem as I don't recall ever hearing what was found to be the cause.

It seems like it was reported that stroke, brain tumor were ruled out yet they never said what they found to be the cause.  They would definitely keep it hush hush if it was drug/ alcohol related.

I had heard of two famous people who did get hooked on benzos, and both also were using alcohol and other addicting substances extensively.

The source of the info is highly reliable so this did not appear to be rumor to me.

But one is affiliated with a famous rock band. He chose to do detox in an ordinary, kind of out of the way detox facility because he wanted to see how it went for "ordinary people," and came out of it eventually ok.

The other person is the famous daughter of a famous mother who also chose to do detox in a very exclusive facility. She also came out of it ok after several years of recuperation.

But we're not hearing anything from them whatsoever. And since their abuses were well known, they also were "classed" as abusers which they actually had been. They just wanted to be "clean and sober" after several years of abuse.

So now that they are, they're back to recording, singing, appearing on broadway, and I think that the last thing they probably want is to become spokesmen for benzo use and abuse.

The problem is that benzos don't discriminate- you are just as likely to have serious issues taking it exactly as prescribed (maybe moreso if that entails daily use) than you are if you are abusing it. Until the medical community and the general public understand that it is going to be very difficult to get anyone to listen.

You make a very good point.  These Meds have been around for a very long time.  You would think they would have gotten it by now!!

I'm surprised that benzobuddies hasn't been featured on a news show like 60 minutes or a talk show like dr Phil or dr oz.  I know if I had seen a show like that that revealed all of these suffering people that's gone on for all these years, I would never had taken the first pill.  I thought taking a Benzo was like drinking a beer, in and out of your system. 

I thought that I would know if I was becoming addicted thinking I would start craving pills.  NOW I KNOW, it doesn't happen that way.

I thought that I would know if I was becoming addicted thinking I would start craving pills.  NOW I KNOW, it doesn't happen that way.

I thought the exact same thing. This is why it is very important to educate people when discussing this. You have to explain to them that it is physiological dependence, not psychological addiction. If you can make someone understand that (fairly simple) it is a lot easier for them to understand the problem as a whole. Unfortunately most people have hard set preconceptions about what happens when someone has "problems" with prescription drugs and it is very hard to get past that.

It's very true that we all have pre-conceived ideas about addiction/dependency. Before my tangle with valium, if I had heard that someone was "addicted" to prescription pills I would have thought "Well they're stupid. Why didn't they just take them as prescribed". Now I know better, but unfortunately unless you've been through what we've been through you just don't understand.

I agree about the perception of the general public over pop artists and celebrities in general play a role in not giving this topic the seriousness it deserves.

So, why isn't there any respected scientist, doctor, politician or world "leader" coming out about something like this? at least that I'm aware of. Don't the use this type of drugs?

I bet many of them have but for some reason they wouldn't publicly denounce it.

I agree about the perception of the general public over pop artists and celebrities in general play a role in not giving this topic the seriousness it deserves.

So, why isn't there any respected scientist, doctor, politician or world "leader" coming out about something like this? at least that I'm aware of. Don't the use this type of drugs?

I bet many of them have but for some reason they wouldn't publicly denounce it.

Hi guitarman, around 5 years ago there were 2 cases in Germany, 2 high politicians,

one commited suicide, one died in a car crash. a german newspaper reported

that both were on psych. meds , one paper even mentioned benzodiazepines.

At the time i didn't know what a Benzo was, i just popped one every night for insomnia,

now i know, they must have played the Benzo-game and weren't aware it was

Russian Roulette. >:(

There is little doubt that once one is lumped in with addiction their credibility is in question.  I think the credibility issue actually starts as soon as one is using a psych drug.  As soon as a problem develops, who is any one going to believe?  The experts or the psych patient?

Doctors will tell you as a new patient you shouldn't worry about the stigma associated with mental illness.

As soon as a problem develops, they will use that stigma to defend themselves.  It's a carefully crafted defense that has been in play for a very long time.

Few patients have the will or resources to fight and it's akin to professional suicide for any expert to buck the system.

Totally agree. Last year when I kindled at .5 and had to jump my doctor researched, agreed it was rare (benzo w/d syndrome) and seemed to feel bad. Now that I am symptomatic and reacted to a post op pain med (some kind of awful wave that felt like kindling but at a higher dose), he just acted panicked about it, then a week later tried to talk me into thinking I had an "anxiety disorder" (because THAT causes seizures....?!?!?). They will cover themselves every time by saying the patient just has a mental illness. And frankly, many patients either do have a disorder and are happy to call w/d one of these and take another med instead or just stay on the benzo indefinitely. For patients who were normal before and know 100% that this is from the benzo, what defense do we have unless we've had years of "well visits" with mental health professionals, and who on earth has "well visits" with a psychiatrist if they're mentally OK?

I experienced this years ago with an AD they put me on for pain. I had to go off after a bad reaction, and was immediately branded everything from bipolar to borderline, and in a month was fine off the med. You can personally decide to ignore what the docs will say in their defense, but it doesn't solve this larger problem. Loads of people on chronic pain websites who also likely post here or have, but mention on occasion their extreme reaction and hell with benzos, and plenty here who were put on them for physical problems up to and including cancer, only to then have w/d and branded mentally ill? And with the broad parameters and lack of tests for these disorders in the DSM, what can we do? You exhibit one or two s/x of any of them and they can say you have it. No test, no anything, just "here's your psych record, enjoy".

We need to fight to have this made an official and recognized disorder. Only then will we be able to discuss it with doctors and will they have to accept that it exists. Of course, if that happens, they will find a drug they say treats it and insist you go on it if you have benzo w/d syndrome. It's a vicious cycle I don't see ending.

I always wondered how they got her off in the long run.

Did she taper? 

Did she C/T? 

Did she heal?

When did she heal! 

What sxs did she have? 

How long did they linger?

I'd just like to hear full story for once including her full healing!

All these missing-links need to be filled before she can be a anti-benzo spokes person in my mind.  Too many unanswered questions.

We never hear the full story of her recovery just the horror she went through.

Birdman,

From what I heard directly from a nurse friend who worked in ICU and had knowledge of several famous people with benzo issues, she went to the Betty Ford clinic for a 45 day detox.

During her stay, she experienced many acute sx. (I think she's talked about some of this on Oprah.)

And after leaving the hospital, she went to the family home in Arizona where she stayed for 2-3 years to recover.

Some of this is probably already known, but maybe not enough to be a spokesperson. And if she wanted to be one, she'd probably do it. Just my thoughts here.

Birdman,

From what I heard directly from a nurse friend who worked in ICU and had knowledge of several famous people with benzo issues, she went to the Betty Ford clinic for a 45 day detox.

During her stay, she experienced many acute sx. (I think she's talked about some of this on Oprah.)

And after leaving the hospital, she went to the family home in Arizona where she stayed for 2-3 years to recover.

Some of this is probably already known, but maybe not enough to be a spokesperson. And if she wanted to be one, she'd probably do it. Just my thoughts here.

Thanks ITBO,

I still can't find data if she c/t'd or tapered  - She also never pronounced herself healed which really bugs me to no end. It would be nice to hear from her lips "I'm healed".  Lot's of missing 'BIO' on this topic.  I wish she would write about it more.

I've knd of searched around myself with little success. I think it was a rapid taper since it was in Betty Ford and lasted 45 days.

I've seen her talk about it briefly (because I never watched her interview with Oprah where I guess she gave more info than ever before).

Maybe "healed" is a term she's not even used to. I'm not particularly fond of it myself. Sounds like a "religious experience."

I prefer "recovered" but that's just me.

She's still very good on stage. I've seen her perform several times since then and she does very well.

But yes, it would be great to know more. Any experience others have helps others I think.

Healed is a weird term to me, as well. I had multiple seizures. I lost huge chunks of memory. That will never "heal". There is no cure, but I recovered fine (except for that caveat no one told me about kindling/going back on, etc.). In fact, I was better than before other than the memory loss. Maybe Nicks feels similar. She was on illicit drugs before, no one wants to be known as a "casualty".