Benzos contraindicated for PTSD by U.S. Veterans Affairs and Dept. of Defense

[e9...]

[e9...]

I printed these documents out on nice color paper and bound the guidelines. Giving them to my doctor tomorrow!

Excerpts from PTSD Research Quarterly, Volume 23, No. 4, 2013 and PTSD Pocket Guide for 2010 Clinical VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for PTSD

The 2010 revised version of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the U.S. Department of Defense Clinical Practice Guidelines for the management of PTSD established evidence-based psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy. The guideline cautioned providers against the use of benzodiazepines to manage PTSD due to a lack of efficacy data and the growing evidence for the potential risk of harm, PTSD Research Quarterly, pg. 1.

A series of adverse effects continue to cause concern regarding benzodiazepine use that includes cognitive effects and psychomotor impairment as well as rebound anxiety and rebound insomnia, PTSD Research Quarterly, pg. 2.

Both animal and human work suggests that benzodiazepines may interfere with the extinction of fear conditioning or potentiate the acquisition of fear responses, actually worsening recovery from trauma, PTSD Research Quarterly, pg. 2.

Mounting evidence suggests that the long-term harms imposed by benzodiazepine use outweigh any short-term symptomatic benefits in patients with PTSD, PTSD Research Quarterly, pg. 3.

Pharmacotherapy Interventions for Treatment of PTSD: Balance of Benefit and Harm

No Benefit (Ineffective or Harmful)—Benzodiazepines [Harm], PTSD Pocket Guide, pg. 47.

Insomnia—Benzodiazepines should be avoided, PTSD Pocket Guide, pg. 50.

Benzodiazepines: There is evidence against the use of benzodiazepines in PTSD management, as harm may outweigh benefit (Level D strength of recommendation). Strongly recommend against the use of benzodiazepines for prevention of ASD or the treatment of PTSD, PTSD Pocket Guide, pg. 62.

Thank you for this info, Thaler. I hope that doctors actually follow these guidelines when handing out prescriptions to their PTSD patients. It scares me that doctors don't seem to know what's going on when it comes to benzo side effects and w/d and just go for the quick fix.

[e9...]

You're welcome.

Diazepam is fifty years old and keeps getting repackaged to escape its reputation.

There's so much research easily available now. Especially with ptsd and all the money poured into it. Makes me think that when doctors downplay side effects they are hiding and denying their lack of recent training / self study. This would apply to all drugs too.

I hope it is lack of knowledge or ability to stay abreast of so much research.  So when I give him these guidelines he'll follow them.  These guidelines are already four years old. I'm grateful that they're there because when I told my doc about benzobuddies he didn't seem to care to me. ;) He was open about professional journals so that's a good sign. :)

This is a great article. Thanks for much for posting. Have you read the bend bulletin article? Might be something you could bring to your doc. It's not out of a medical journal, but it's published by a reputable and respected newspaper. Perhaps some of the prescribing guidelines other countries (like Australia) use might interest your doctor.

[e9...]

No, hadn't heard of it but I just read one article. Nice to see more coverage in the US, thank you. I doubt my doc would be interested in anything unofficial.

Doctors are funny. The doctor who discovered germs was ridiculed by his fellows because it seems they didn't want to admit they had been killing people by not washing their hands. He died in an asylum.

I don't want to press my luck. I'm half decided to switch docs but its empowering to give him this info.