A sleep setback at 13.5 months out.

[Co...]

Yikes, insomnia has flared up a lot, in the past three nights.  This is a tough situation for me.

I'm 13.5 months out and have been making good progress, but the last frontier seems to be getting good sleep.  For the most part, in recent months, I get an adequate amount of shuteye.  But the last three nights, gads, I haven't been able to fall asleep at all.  I'm going off the deep end.  I seem to be pretty revved at bedtime.

There is a bit of good news: insomnia's buddy, intrusive thoughts, has been unfriended.  But insomnia itself has rendered me useless today and I have a list of stuff to do.  This is just crappy.

I think I'll resort to Unisom tonight.

Howdy CC,

Sorry to hear of your suffering. I am going through the same thing at 7.5 months out. I have never had insomnia in my life and about a week or so back I started waking up around 3 & 4am and then after a few days of that of that I couldn't even fall to sleep. I can't believe that we can "forget" how to fall asleep so fast.  After a few days of no sleep at all I was feeling very anxious and psychotic, so I talked to my shrink and started an AD and then serequel when that didn't do it by itself. Last night was my 1st full night of sleep in a couple of weeks. Now I am bummed cause I wasn't on any meds for about the last 5 months and thought I was in the clear. Can't wait to be past this crap. Good healing.

I hope the Unisom helps you get some rest, Cool.  You are a positive guy, and I'm sure this will pass for you.  Your posts on sleep encouraged me in the past when I feared the insomnia would never end.

P, (AMA), I'm sorry to see you're now dealing with insomnia.  You must have some more healing going on...may it come quickly!

I actually sleep pretty well now, thankfully.  Yet, I still struggle with some sleep anxiety most nights, even though I'm doing okay.  It's almost like a mild form of PTSD from the bad early days of acute, if that makes sense.  I hope you got some sleep last night, and I wish you a good night tonight.  Hang in there, buddy.  We've come so far!

Luke, did the Unisom help you break the cycle?

Hi floc, ama and klon,

Yup, unison worked well last night.

I think my body is stressed, that's the problem.  I had a UTI for two weeks. Ugh. Then I promptly got food poisoning at a family BBQ.  Fun huh?

Thanks for your posts! I'm going back to the couch now,

Luke

Time to assess, in one sentence, how my health has done in my first year off of benzos.

I've had a lot of ailments, all brought on by poor sleep and I go on faith that things will improve.

That's it.

On reflection I think we call this a "wave", no?  Man, oh man, illness coupled with insomnia.  What crap.  I'm just a basket case today and I've gotta do stuff.  I think the thing to do is just keep occupied. 

This situation could drive a guy to drink.  And I'm not supposed to do that. 

Hugs to all,

Luke

Any improvement, Luke?

Hi floc,

I'm just over a big tummy flu, just awful.  Sorry for the slow response.

But yes,  mercifully there has been a big improvement in my sleep.

I think my body rebelled from me asking so much of it -- stressed out, you know.  Strange that my sleeping pattern reestablished itself during an illness, not during well times.  For that reason I'll say "let's see how this goes".

I may try medical-grade tryptophan -- I've gotten a prescription for it.

Cheers,

Luke

So, some knowledge gained from this experience.  Maybe I am a year and a couple of months out -- well that's good, but it seems I still have to take it easy to some degree, with my recovery ongoing. 

In summary, there have been big big big developments in my personal life during the past couple of months, and it's all so exciting, but sometimes with all the changes, it's hard to settle down at night.  You'd think I would be used to excitement and all, in my line of work, but at the end of the day I am a mere mortal with some cortisol rushes going on at odd times, just like everyone else around here …

Love to all.  I hope you are having peaceful times.

Luke

• 2 weeks later...
Good grief. A sleepless night. This is my 14 month anniversary since quitting benzos. Insomnia. What crap..  tried every supplement under the sun... I don't know where to turn. It's so bad.

• 3 weeks later...

So … I think I may have found the culprit to this outrageous insomnia I've had:  for a few months I've been taking CoQ10, an antioxidant, for general health.  It appears that this supplement can cause "mild" insomnia, while for me, it seems to have caused "total" insomnia.  I dropped this supplement two days ago, and of course last night I slept really well, with my time-honoured mix of theanine, passionflower, and magnesium. 

This may be very important info for everyone.  Thought I'd pass it on.  CoQ10 can be replaced by a different antioxidant.

XO,

Luke 

PS--in September 17th will mark my 15th month off benzos.  Not bad, huh?        :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just here to reiterate something, everyone.  Watch out with those non-sleep related supplements -- research fully.

I went through a very bad patch with my sleep (almost total insomnia for a while) and it really appears that a certain health supplement was the cause of it … the supplement is Coenzyme Q10.  This stuff is a powerful antioxidant and I was taking it because I am starting to get cholesterol issues … I'll find something else (cholesterol not quite high enough for a statin drug, btw, and I want to get it lower naturally, i.e. without drugs).    When I started COQ10, there were no warnings about insomnia with it;  those issues came to light a little later on.

I seem to be back to about 5.5 to 6 hours sleep, sometimes a bit more.

I wish you all the best day you can possibly grab onto..

XO,

Luke

PS--- two days from now will be my 15-month anniversary since my jump off of my benzo drug.

Hi east !! I've been scarce with my posts, yes. Didn't want to write too much while that sleepless wave was going on--so I left the computer alone for a while.  I will write when I can be more encouraging.  :)

How are you doing?

Luke