Lorazepam dependence

[ga...]

Hello guys, thanks for this platform

I'm now 23 and suffer from a anxiety disorder - labeled as panic disorder but there is also generalized aniexty all the time from different things. I take Benzodiazepines already for a long time but just occasionally - this started perhaps 3 years ago.

In the last 6 month i took more and more but on a daily base about for 3 month now 1mg Lorazepam (Ativan) - sometimes up to 3 mg because of very awful panic attacks, which brought me already to the ER more than once.

I take also 30 mg Mirtazapin. But it doesn't help a lot for the anxiety. I don't want to take SSRIs because of the sexual side effects - I took already 1 year Venlafaxin (Efexor) and it killed all my libido..

The problem is I think the 1 mg lost all their functionality and I'm not sure but the times (about one time a week) when I take up to 3 mg already caused some higher tolerance. I got then some withdrawals - I can't think clear, yesterday I had cramps under my chin which caused another panic attack.

I'm going 1 time a week to my psychiatrist. But the therapy doesn't help so far. And she doesn't want to take me off the Lorazepam as long as I don't have an alternative to handle the anxiety. Now she's for 2 month in holidays (Me too, I travel a bit around trying not letting the anxiety expand all over my life). She also thinks I can withdraw in 1/4 steps and she doesn't think I have to switch to a longer acting one..

But I wan't to come down from the Benzos. I've got more than 60 1 mg Lorazepam left and about 30 10mg Diazepam. I've got also 80 X 50mg LYRICA and some 25 mg. I would also have some seroquel but it doesn't help for the anxiety. I sleep well with the Mirtazapin.

Thanks for every advise. Cheers

Hello gamabde,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

We're glad you joined us.  I agree with you that you are likely experiencing tolerance related to your dose.  When I found myself in this same situation of dosage escalation, I opted to taper off rather than continuing to increase my dose.  Good luck to you on your taper. 

Most of our member's are happy to share their experiences with benzo tapering and recovery.  Please know that even though symptoms may be severe at times, they are temporary.  We eventually recover from this experience.  I wish you well with your taper.

The general recommendation for tapering after long term use is 5-10%, every 10 to 14 days.  Some folks are able to taper faster than this and some must go slower to help keep their withdrawal symptoms manageable. 

Here are some links to get you started.

Here is a handy link for The Ashton Manual.  Professor Ashton is an authority on benzo withdrawal and recovery.

Withdrawal Support, (during your taper) is where our buddies who are tapering post for support.

General Taper Plans is the spot to ask questions about your taper.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Feel free to post on any of our dedicated boards. 

Again, welcome!