What Do You Want To Read In A Success Story?

[Ri...]

I'm about to write my success story and want it to be as helpful and relevant as possible.

Now that my symptoms are a fading memory and I'm living a happy, normal life,  it is becoming more difficult to be able to remember the specifics of my challenges and how I managed them.

I want to write my success story in a way that addresses specific daily life without dredging up the gory details  and scaring those who are sensitive. Many people rightly complain of the scary content in success stories, so I want to be accurate and relevant without frightening anyone. I was so sensitive I could not read the forum during my 18 month taper.

My blog has been dedicated from the start to proactive, useful strategies and a positive, hopeful tone, and it has taken a lot of effort to keep it from degenerating into a negative thread.

I had a long, rough taper and I'm 2 years out and doing great and loving my life - and you're next.

What would be useful for you to read in a success story?

River  :smitten:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ri...]

• [Mo...]

• [os...]

• [Wo...]

What you feel now and what you can do now. I love hearing people write they can lie in bed on a sunday morning, enjoy a cup of anything on the porch listening to the birds not thinking or feeling benzos. Going on trips, meeting friends.

I love to read what one can do now. Laugh, be calm.

I am so happy for you river!

Any information on intrusive thoughts and how you dealt with them how severe they were and when they went away. This is the worst benzo w/d symptom for me. In fact if it wasn't for the intrusive thoughts I would be perfectly fine. I would be fine with just plain anxiety if the intrusive thoughts left I would be able to get on with life.

I am so happy for you that you are ready to write your success story at 2 years out. Bravo! I would like to know how you felt a few months prior to 2 years. I am starting my 22nd month, much improved, but nerve/burning symptoms change intensity, times, and internal vibrations come and go. Just curious how your stuff finally left you?  :thumbsup:

[e2...]

River Wolf, your posts have always been "helpful and relevant," as well as extremely inspiring.

Write whatever is in your head and heart. I look forward to reading it. So glad you are doing well.  :smitten:

I'd like to know how you spent your time during your recovery.  Can't wait to read it; I know it will be good. 

Are you 2 years from your last pill or 2 years from the beginning of your taper?

It really helps me when I can relate well to someone else's story, even if it's just a part of it.  Things like a list of symptoms (the more comprehensive, the better, if possible :) ), and how they faded over time, and how you dealt with them/overcame them/lived with them whilst they were present has been very helpful for me.  I think, too, it's the "struggle, then victory" overlying theme in stories that I love the most :)  The "I was like this..." and then the "I'm now like this..." that is completely a 180 in the positive direction -- what a belief builder for me!

Whatever you write, River Wolf, as long as it is from your heart, and your true story, it will speak to the right people :)  And the ones it doesn't speak to, that's okay -- someone else's story was meant to, and not yours (IMO, of course :) )  So no worries, IMO -- it'll be a great story either way :)

Thanks for posting it in advance!  I'm looking forward to reading it soon :)  Take care buddy,

Mrs. :smitten:

The healing of the CNS. I really enjoy reading your posts. I think you have helped many of us....especially in early withdrawal.

Sincerely, what I´d like to hear is about the relation with stress...I am having a lot of stressful situations and I would like to have all kind of information about stress, GABA receptors and healing. The big question is: stress delays healing? Thanks and congratulations.

Unlike many here I do like to hear "how bad it was." I have had traumatic long lasting s/x (15 1/2 months and no breaks), it encourages me to know someone can be severe and fully recover, it always brings relief when hideous symptoms are described because I feel so not alone then. I used to be scared by such stories early on as well, but now find them comforting. Lost Dog's is my favorite story because I got a great sense of how awful it was and how great it now is.

I also like timelines and how you felt when symptoms faded. And most if all I love hearing about how beautiful life is now in detail. Some of my favorite comments are " nothing can upset me after BW", "life is a piece if cake", "things are clear, crisp and beautiful." Also the folks who can actually say they are thankful for the experience really move me as I believe all things have a purpose.

Thanks for asking what others are looking for, can't wait to read it!

Thanks everybody. I'm glad I asked. This will help me help you guys  more effectively.

Im  considering doing two versions, that would be the most accurate, truthful, and sensitive all at the same time.

[48...]

River, I agree: the truth.

How , looking back, things started to heal.

I think for many, we only realize now how bad it was in acute. We still feel so bad at times still, that we don't see the progress. Reminders of that....

I feel bad each day. But if I compare it to a year ago...big difference.

Reminders that you felt this same way too. But that there is a way out.

Things like that... Relating to how you felt. And the when and how you realized it was better.

Thanks for always writing such powerful, hope giving posts.

:smitten:

Moo

River Wolf....I know what ever you write will be good and from the heart.

I like timelines of improvement, not depressing ones, and I also would like to hear how you coped with each month.  I struggle with knowing how to make it through each stage as we progress, dealing with acute times, intrusive thoughts, zombie days, waves and window days, depressed times, hopeless days, days when you knew you were getting better but the future loomed so far ahead, hanging on to positive thoughts when things were dark.  It is such a long journey, need advise on how to forge ahead when times are dark.

I do not like to hear that things still are difficult for people so far out... we need hope and tools to keep trudging on.

You posts are very encouraging, busted lies etc.  I am awaiting your story, I know it will be great.

I too like Lost Dog's success story..... it tells the tale but has a happy ending. 

Something to read when things are difficult.

As some or many have said: the truth. I like all kinds of details. I trust success stories more than other stuff (= earlier stuff). There's lot of optimistic and lot of pessimistic stuff around, what people write in different moods. What I value is the look back: what you think you can say more objectively than before.

I really start to wonder, what it is what you don't want to write that would be scary. Maybe there are many ways to put it. I really want hear about everything that is essential, everything that is your knowledge now.

One concrete wish: I'd like to hear where you agree with Ashton and if there is something you might want to question or add.

Dear river

You have always been caring and supportive so I know you will write a wonderful success story.  However, i am one of those who just can't read details of suffering, it tears my heart out.  But I know we all Need to hear about sxs and that they do indeed go away.  I am having  some bad stomach issues and palpitations as two new sxs for me and I did come here to ask if this is normal and part of the road to healing.  I know that all this anxiety and worry and fear I have be going through must be messing up my stomach.  So, I guess most of us do Ned to read about sxs, healing and how you handled it all.  One thing for me is even when I post a call for help with an issue or sx, I just don't get much feed back so it means I do search and look for an answer.  That's the beauty of BB. 

Thank you for all of your compassion, support and help...you are just great and I am so happy that you are healed and enjoying your life.  You deserve it.  I look forward to your success story.

:smitten:

Galea

Hi River!

I'm so glad to hear you are getting ready to write your success story! Awesome! It was such a good idea to put this question out there as well. As I get closer to writing my own story I've been wondering about this also. What to leave in, what to leave out. My needs for what I wanted to read in a success story have changed over time. When I was in the early days I wanted ALL the details. I kept a journal and made notes to myself to remember to detail symptoms because at that time I was looking for people who had issues like I had. As time went on I was looking for people having issues during the same time frame but I no longer felt the need for all the detail. I've considered doing two versions as well, the short story and the long story. I think people gain a lot of comfort from knowing that they are not the only ones with eye pain or rashes or twitching or whatever but maybe it's all about the presentation. I'll be keeping my eye out for it! Thanks for all the goodness you bring to BB.

Hello dear River,

I wondered when we would hear of your success! Thank you for your many posts filled with truthful hope...I've read them countless times.

I often scan the success stories. What I need the most from them is simple: you were sick and now you are well. You will doubt your ability to heal...but you will. You may feel you are loosing your mind...but you won't. You can't see the end of the pain...but it is coming. Life may not see worth living...but it definitely is!

A piece related to your benzo lies post would be wonderful. Those lies occupy my vulnerable brain way too much of the time.

Thank you for asking. I draw strength from your success.

Love,

Carita

Hi River,

So glad to hear this news, and can't wait to read your story.  I do like the idea of two versions, the fairytale and the horror story.  That way, depending on where everyone is on their journey, they can read the one that best suits them.

Whenever I read a success story, I immediately rummage through old posts to gauge how far people have come and their trials and tribulations along the way.  I find it very comforting to see former horror stories progress to such remarkable and uplifting conclusions.  However, on the other hand, I've also known that dark place where it would have sent me into a tail spin.

Congrats again, and wishing you continued good health always!  :thumbsup:

Hi River,

quite anxious to read your success story, i'd love to read everything down to

the smallest details, no matter how unpleasant and scary, but the truth. :smitten:

River the same here, no reason to hide the scary stuff! If now you're okay and healthy that's what should matter to you, and to us !

On another note : Did you sleep well under benzo and do you sleep well now (that's the part i'm struggling with the most).

Thank you for sharing!  :smitten: