coloring hair

[fl...]

Hello all,

Does anyone have suggestions about this?

I seem to be allergic to a henna that I was using to color my hair.  Rainbow Research is the name of the company that makes it.  The henna is 100% organic plant matter which has been dried and ground into a powder.  It's not a paste, and it's not the so-called black henna.

When I was using it, I mixed boiling water, organic lemon juice, and an organic egg into it in order to create the paste.  Boiling water was for activating the henna.  The lemon juice provided the acid so that the henna could penetrate the hair.  The egg was for conditioning the hair.

I want to try other natural coloring agents - foods.  I want to achieve a dark auburn, which was my hair color when I was younger.

Perhaps with this:

carrots

a little bit of beet

walnut hulls

2 tbsp lemon juice

1 egg

Carrots for the orange, beet for a little bit of reddish purple in order to balance the bright orange, and walnut hulls for the black in order to darken the auburn a little bit.  I haven't yet figured out the amount of each color's ingredient. 

Blend raw carrots, raw beet, and raw walnut hulls in a blender to create a pulp.  Incorporate lemon juice and egg.

(For members' information...

Real henna doesn't dye hair and skin black.  If you want to inform yourselves about the dangers of so-called "Black henna", I suggest reading Wikipedia's article about henna;  the section about so-called "Black henna" is approximately 2/3 down the page.)

Years ago, I stopped using salon dyes.  They made me very ill.