Heart Palpitrations

[Lo...]

Has anyone experienced heart palps during the tapering/withdrawal process? I have been getting this and it is typically accompanied by anxiety. What methods of coping can be used for this?

[99...]

Palps are very common.  Some people really worry about them, and rush off to the ER only to learn that they're perfectly fine.  Palps are going to probably happen for a while.  There are a few things you can do to help minimize them.

1) Watch your sugar intake.  A lot of people seem to have more palps when they eat sugary foods/beverages

2) Control your anxiety.  Worrying about palps (or anything for that matter) just makes them worse.  Stay in the present.

Has anyone experienced heart palps during the tapering/withdrawal process? I have been getting this and it is typically accompanied by anxiety. What methods of coping can be used for this?

please explain in more detail what you mean by palps

there are different types, some debilitating needing treatment, some simply annoying

no matter what type of benzo induced palps they are eliminating caffeine and sugar will help

[ba...]

I have them regularly. Some days a racing heart, some days palps.

The things that helps is indeed limiting sugar intake.

And I do guided meditations on you tube.

My doctor gave me propranolol but I am not taking it.

They always pass, eventually.

( for me)

So, I try to remember it's another xs coming with this benzo rollercoaster.

Sometimes my pulse is very high after doing a simple task. When I do some deep breathing, it calms down.

Some days it doesn't. And some days it feel like my heart is racing, but when I feel my pulse, it is actually normal.

Moo

I would describe what I experience as a racing and painful heart, that seems to be occurring at some level even when doing moderate activities or extremely sedative ones like laying down or sitting.

[ba...]

I would describe what I experience as a racing and painful heart, that seems to be occurring at some level even when doing moderate activities or extremely sedative ones like laying down or sitting.

I even get them from standing up or just getting a drink or something from the kitchen.

Then it calms down again.

It's uncomfortable, for sure...

Hope you get relief soon. Some xs disappear out of nowhere and others pop up from another corner.

:idiot:

I even get them from standing up or just getting a drink or something from the kitchen.

Hope you get relief soon. Some xs disappear out of nowhere and others pop up from another corner.

getting them upon rising like that would indicate difficulty in regulating, a typical response to benzo damage

Sometimes my pulse is very high after doing a simple task. When I do some deep breathing, it calms down.

very high? and for how long?

for everyone with heart pals

discuss it with your doctor

beta blockers are one of the few medications that may serve you well duwhile recovering from benzo damage

if a doctor prescribes it either take it or stop complaining about it to him

if it's bad you will take them, if it's not bad enough to treat, why complain about it?

[ba...]

getting them upon rising like that would indicate difficulty in regulating, a typical response to benzo damage

Regulating what?

[ba...]

124 and for about a minute or five?

[ba...]

beta blockers are one of the few medications that may serve you well duwhile recovering from benzo damage

if it's bad you will take them, if it's not bad enough to treat, why complain about it?

A doctor also prescribed me Ativan. I should have complained to him about it. I didn't.

And now I'm here.

My xs are bad some days... I think this is the right place to complain about them.

There might be other ways than pills to treat this. Or different kinds. I don't make the mistake of not being informed about what I take any more  ,ever.

So, I guess it's good to discuss things here.

??????

ok, sounds slightly exaggerated, nothing of much consequence.

concern comes with prolonged elevation and generally at higher rates

[ba...]

ok, sounds slightly exaggerated, nothing of much consequence.

concern comes with prolonged elevation and generally at higher rates

What sounds slightly exaggerated?

My pulse is usually half that....

What sounds slightly exaggerated?

My pulse is usually half that....

a short term pulse of 124 upon exertion that falls in a minute or two is just not a big deal.

What is abnormal is the minimal amount of exertion it takes to rise it for you. This you know is from the benzo damage.

take a beta blocker or get used to it

Should it become sustained especially at an increased rate say  175-275 go to the ER for conversion.

Should it become a repeated event, they will do an abolition.

You are light years from these eventualities right now but it is not uncommon in benzo withdrawal.

the chart below should help to sooth your concern

http://www.build-some-muscle.com/images/heart-rate-to-burn-fat.png

[99...]

I posted this chart before (back in February, I think).  The first time that I visited the gym after jumping, my pulse rate quickly rose to 179 (rather high for a 59-year-old).  I didn't feel bad when it spiked (repeatedly), although I could sense some slight discomfort in my chest.  I slowed or suspended my workout a few times to bring my pulse back down.  Eventually, my pulse settled down, and I continued my work-out (I usually target the lower 130s when I work out).  Anyway, I started monitoring my pulse regularly (including at work), and learned a lot about staying in the present and breathing.  Intrusive thinking and holding my breath were two big causes of pulse spikes for me.

http://enchantedskies.net/HeartChart.jpg

Should it become sustained especially at an increased rate say  175-275 go to the ER for conversion.

You are light years from these eventualities right now but it is not uncommon in benzo withdrawal.

Beta blockers can be good for lowering heart rates in some people.. and while they're at it cause:

dizziness

tiredness

blurred vision

cold hands and feet

slow heartbeat

diarrhoea and nausea

Less common symptoms include:

insomnia (sleep disturbance)

loss of libido (sex drive)

depression

impotence – in men, problems getting or maintaining an erection

And:

Slow heart rate. One of the ways in which beta-blockers work is to slow down your heart rate. If you’re worried that your heart rate is too slow, see your doctor. A slow heart rate in itself may not matter, as long as you feel well with it.

Cold hands and feet. Beta-blockers can cause this side-effect because they cause the blood vessels around your body to narrow.

Breathing difficulties. Beta-blockers can sometimes cause bronchospasm. This is when your airways in your lungs suddenly become narrow, causing you to have problems breathing. You should seek urgent medical attention if you have trouble breathing.

Tiredness. Sometimes beta-blockers can make you feel tired. However, this may only occur when you first start taking beta-blockers or if your dose is increased.

Some beta-blockers can cause sleeping problems and nightmares.

Then of course, one has to contend with the potential tapering and withdrawals from beta blockers.

We aim to avoid a prescriptive posting-style here, mentor, precisely because one medication doesn't necessarily solve the ills of all the members, and for some people beta blockers are conraindicated with certain other meds, and in some cases can actually be lethal.

Although members are encouraged to relate their personal experiences, post options, and express opinions, it is inappropriate to urge other members into particular actions or inactions regarding their medical treatment. Although we are here to help those that wish to quit benzodiazepines, the decision to quit (or not quit) is for the individual to take in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner.

By extension of the above principles, it would be inappropriate for members to attempt to 'diagnose' ailments of (or 'prescribe' treatments for) other members. Whilst it is permitted for members to discuss their wider medical problems and needs, especially as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, it is important to understand the limitations of the BenzoBuddies community. Our focus is upon benzodiazepine withdrawal support; decisions regarding medical treatment are for individual members to take in consultation with a doctor.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=25837.0

B :)

[ba...]

From what I hear, at first the cortisol spikes when starting to exercise again.

And then when the body is used to it again, it actually reduces it. As it should?

Sound correct? Did you notice that at first?

I have not been able to exercise at all, but I swam a bit yesterday. That was a weird experience, actually, after all that time. So, kind of push through the spikes gently and hopefully it helps again in the long run... Maybe do it before taking my early pm dose.

Thanks for the chart.

Yes, I think one of the things for me is that I hold my breath...

My pulse should not be that high ( I'm 40) but it only is for a couple of minutes, Badsocref.

So yes, I guess this one goes on the Wd list.

I do not intend to ever take a beta blocker for it. Those should also be tapered off again, no? I'm kind of done with the meds and I don't think it is necessary to take them if it does not last long but just comes on and off....

So, I guess, Mentor, We will just shut up and live with it ::)

Or discuss it with someone else. Thank you.

I say this is the right place to talk about it! I know for me mine is from benzos!!! This was the worst symptom for me hands down! I'm in month 8, while itvis slowed it still scary!!! For this reason I don't excersize yet! I think it's good to discuss it and learn why and how it effects us all! Keep on talking this is the right spot! I also have a prescription for atenolol last time I took one was May first, daily use makes me so I get depressed and cannot cope therefore I only use if my heart goes over 110 resting which is less and less at this point!

Beta blockers can be good for lowering heart rates in some people.. and while they're at it cause:

dizziness

tiredness

blurred vision

cold hands and feet

slow heartbeat

diarrhoea and nausea

Less common symptoms include:

insomnia (sleep disturbance)

loss of libido (sex drive)

depression

impotence – in men, problems getting or maintaining an erection

And:

Slow heart rate. One of the ways in which beta-blockers work is to slow down your heart rate. If you’re worried that your heart rate is too slow, see your doctor. A slow heart rate in itself may not matter, as long as you feel well with it.

Cold hands and feet. Beta-blockers can cause this side-effect because they cause the blood vessels around your body to narrow.

Breathing difficulties. Beta-blockers can sometimes cause bronchospasm. This is when your airways in your lungs suddenly become narrow, causing you to have problems breathing. You should seek urgent medical attention if you have trouble breathing.

Tiredness. Sometimes beta-blockers can make you feel tired. However, this may only occur when you first start taking beta-blockers or if your dose is increased.

Some beta-blockers can cause sleeping problems and nightmares.

Then of course, one has to contend with the potential tapering and withdrawals from beta blockers.

We aim to avoid a prescriptive posting-style here, mentor, precisely because one medication doesn't necessarily solve the ills of all the members, and for some people beta blockers are conraindicated with certain other meds, and in some cases can actually be lethal.

Although members are encouraged to relate their personal experiences, post options, and express opinions, it is inappropriate to urge other members into particular actions or inactions regarding their medical treatment. Although we are here to help those that wish to quit benzodiazepines, the decision to quit (or not quit) is for the individual to take in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner.

By extension of the above principles, it would be inappropriate for members to attempt to 'diagnose' ailments of (or 'prescribe' treatments for) other members. Whilst it is permitted for members to discuss their wider medical problems and needs, especially as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, it is important to understand the limitations of the BenzoBuddies community. Our focus is upon benzodiazepine withdrawal support; decisions regarding medical treatment are for individual members to take in consultation with a doctor.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=25837.0

get rushed to the hospital a few times with tachycardia and be converted and you'll be begging for a beta blocker

one needs to be reasoned and considered in this taper and post taper, a firm stance is great for crusading but potentially dangerous

you also advocate the avoidance of anti seizure medications when indicated as prudent by medical protocol? 

I have cursed beta blockers for years and have many times cautioned or advised against their inclusion in various treatments but by God their most certainly is a place for them.

:)

BTW, at this point, IMHO, this person does not need a beta blocker

just for the record

I say this is the right place to talk about it! I know for me mine is from benzos!!! This was the worst symptom for me hands down! I'm in month 8, while itvis slowed it still scary!!! For this reason I don't excersize yet! I think it's good to discuss it and learn why and how it effects us all! Keep on talking this is the right spot! I also have a prescription for atenolol last time I took one was May first, daily use makes me so I get depressed and cannot cope therefore I only use if my heart goes over 110 resting which is less and less at this point!

they were prescribed to take as needed?

re-posted from the first page.

they were prescribed to take as needed?

[/quote for my situation yes they are as needed!

get rushed to the hospital a few times with tachycardia and be converted and you'll be begging for a beta blocker

Probaly not a good idea to assume you know anything about my medical history.  One good reason why is because beta blockers could kill me in certain situations.  So, please don't tell me I'll be begging for them in an ambulance one day, as I definitely won't be. :)

See what I mean about the precriptive posting-style?  You need to change that approach.

one needs to be reasoned and considered in this taper and post taper, a firm stance is great for crusading but potentially dangerous

I don't understand what this means.

you also advocate the avoidance of anti seizure medications when indicated as prudent by medical protocol? 

Do I?  News to me!

I have cursed beta blockers for years and have many times cautioned or advised against their inclusion in various treatments but by God their most certainly is a place for them.

Of course there's a place for them, but you're not the medical pofessional of the people you're telling to "take them or shut up", you're making potantially dangerous claims and acting contrary to forum's guidelines.

You really could do with altering the way you aproach some people about medical issues and medicines.

This is me giving you a friendly headsup because the whole team has noticed it, mentor.  It'd help if you followed the guidance in the link I provided in my last post.