Getting off sleeping pills

[8d...]

I started taking sleeping pills in January because the stresses in my life created huge anxiety and I could not sleep well.

I had attempted to quit CT several times, but after a couple of sleepless nights, I gave up.

I'm in the process of trying to taper off Seroquel, but find it very tough. I started at 50mg, and am now down to 32.50mg, but I often barely get 5 hours sleep.

I wake up anxious and can't get back to sleep. Then I'm anxious about sleep in the day and all the way until bedtime.

I try CBT and mindfulness, and it does help the anxiety.

I want to get off meds completely, but I have this fear that if I don't sleep well on Seroquel, I won't at all on my own.

I've read that most people taper, and then go one night on, one night off.

But when I taper, I sometimes can't sleep at lowered doses, and if I go one night off, there is zero sleep.

Is there hope for me to sleep again with meds?

Yes, there is hope to sleep with no meds again.  But there is a likelihood that there will be a period of time where your sleep will suffer until it goes back online.  For me, this took approx 3-months taking no pills for sleep to return.  I've seen this happen to others over and over again.  A period of poor sleep while the body is adjusting followed by sleeping well again.  As we say in benzo land, the only way out is through.

I CT'd my Z-drug on May 4, after being on it for 4 months with the occasional use of Lorazepam.

Could the difficultly I'm dealing with sleeping be attributed to a WD, or does that seem unlikely?

I CT'd my Z-drug on May 4, after being on it for 4 months with the occasional use of Lorazepam.

Could the difficultly I'm dealing with sleeping be attributed to a WD, or does that seem unlikely?

It seems possible to me that there could be rebound insomnia for a period of time after CTing, yes.  This was a symptom I experienced.

If I tried getting off Seroquel now, with the potential of Zopiclone WD still at play, could that make matters worse?

I tried not taking the Seroquel and could not sleep. Maybe I need to struggle with a few days of no sleep? Could my anxiety prevent me from sleeping to the point of psychosis?

If I tried getting off Seroquel now, with the potential of Zopiclone WD still at play, could that make matters worse?

I tried not taking the Seroquel and could not sleep. Maybe I need to struggle with a few days of no sleep? Could my anxiety prevent me from sleeping to the point of psychosis?

I believe it could possibly make sleeping more difficult, because Seroquel is most sedating from 25-50mgs.  It sounds like the way acute withdrawal from the Zop is hitting you is in the sleep department.  This is what happened to me too, but from Xanax.  Sleep was my problem right after I stopped.  It took a good 3-months before things started to settle down where sleep started to regulate again.  The way this is stressing you, I'd probably wait a bit longer.  I'd allow my body to relax and tackle the seroquel when I felt more relaxed and prepared.

Then I'd taper the seroquel by quartering or dividing into eights, a 25mg tablet every 3-weeks or so.  Or I might even consider a very, very slow titration off of the seroquel.  I read some posts where people were titrating this, so I know it's possible.

Can you give yourself permission to take a break from all of the worry?  It might help you gain the confidence, (but mostly the ability to relax yourself again), needed to taper it when the time comes.

Yeah, the just relaxing an realizing there really isn't much you can do to force yourself to sleep anyway. That helped a lot. It's not a cure of course, but just realizing that you'll plow through it does take a load off. I loaded up my iPad with bunch of books and just decided to read them when I couldn't sleep. Luckily by the time I stocked up, I started sleeping again. So I never really had to utilize them. I know electronics are "bad" when you can't sleep, but I'd turn the brightness setting all the way down and then I'd invert the colors on my ipad so the background was black and the text white. That cuts down on the amount of light being emitted. I did use the ipad to read the forums here and generally surf the web. Sorry you're in this situation like most of have been. I think the insomnia was the worst s/x for me.

This all started for me in January when I moved out of my parent's home and moved in with my wife. It was a big change for me and I didn't adjust well. I couldn't sleep. Sometimes I'd get a couple of hours and then maybe a few in the afternoon. My anxiety was very high. First time I ever felt like that.

When I've tried sleeping nights without the pills, I'm just too anxious and wired to fall asleep.

So if I taper down a little more, and then jump, am I actually going to eventually fall asleep, or could my anxiety end up preventing this?

It's tough to sleep when I'm anxious, and when you add rebound insomnia to that, I fear I'll never manage to sleep naturally again.

Anyone ever feel like this and beat it?

Yes, I felt the same way and I got over it the farther and farther away from the benzo I got.  I had to sleep alone to beat it though.  There was no way I could have slept in the same bed with someone during the time my sleep was disturbed because this would have sent my anxiety skyrocketing.  I would have worried more about disturbing them than my missing sleep.

I'm concerned that I've messed up my brain from doing the CT from Zopiclone. I was on it for 3.5-4 months. For about 1-2 weeks in March, I also often took 1mg of Lorazepam and 5mg Zopiclone.

Then I started getting awful tolerance in April. CT'd on May 4.

I have OCD, so I obsess more than the average person about not being able to get to sleep again.

During that 4 month period, I would occasionally try to fall asleep on my own without taking the pill. I would take tryptophan or Valerian. I fell asleep 4 times in those 4 months with prescription pills, so I try to remind myself of that.

But a couple of times, I tried not taking my meds for 2 nights in a row, and had zero sleep. The first time, I got so freaked out, I ended up in the psych ward!

Is Seroquel WD easier to handle than z-drugs and benzos? I'm just worried about facing the rebound insomnia and anxiety!

I believe it could possibly make sleeping more difficult, because Seroquel is most sedating from 25-50mgs.  It sounds like the way acute withdrawal from the Zop is hitting you is in the sleep department.  This is what happened to me too, but from Xanax.  Sleep was my problem right after I stopped.  It took a good 3-months before things started to settle down where sleep started to regulate again.  The way this is stressing you, I'd probably wait a bit longer.  I'd allow my body to relax and tackle the seroquel when I felt more relaxed and prepared.

Then I'd taper the seroquel by quartering or dividing into eights, a 25mg tablet every 3-weeks or so.  Or I might even consider a very, very slow titration off of the seroquel.  I read some posts where people were titrating this, so I know it's possible.

Can you give yourself permission to take a break from all of the worry?  It might help you gain the confidence, (but mostly the ability to relax yourself again), needed to taper it when the time comes.

Juliea:

Are you saying to cut 25 mg into eights? Such a tiny amount? Bets

Juliea:

I'm just applying benzo logic to another psych drug.  Many people titrate off seroquel from what I've read on survivingantidepressants.  Reducing by a quarter to an eight of a tablet is common when pill splitting to stop any medication that might be difficult to taper.  Makes sense to me and is only my opinion.

So I've been sticking at 32.50mg, and it has stopped being effective. I did not sleep a minute on Friday and Saturday, slept 6 hours Sunday, and last night no sleep again.

How can I keep tapering if I'm not sleeping at all?

And if I jump right now, will I just not sleep at all?

Please help!

I have been trying to relax and take naps, but I just can't turn off. I can't fall asleep.

Only when I take a pill, am I able to turn off.

Is this normal?

I have been trying to relax and take naps, but I just can't turn off. I can't fall asleep.

Only when I take a pill, am I able to turn off.

Is this normal?

Well it's not exactly normal, but it is typical when taking meds that are suppose to help you sleep and you reach tolerance or are reducing dose. Unfortunately I think you have to go through the ring of fire before you can get more back to normal. It's definitely no fun, but is about the only way to come off of these garbage meds.

My sleep is a little up and down still at 3 months off, but I'm mostly sleeping 7-8 hours a night. Occasionally it'll be 3-4, but that's only once every week and a half to two weeks. I kind of screwed up by drinking alcohol and sending myself into a week long wave.

Good luck, hope it sorts out for you soon. How much longer is your taper planned for?

Edit:

My pdoc said you should never take naps if you aren't sleeping at night. I was tempted a bunch of times to try to take one after being up 2 days straight many times, but I resisted the urge.

I'm not sure really if I can taper. I started at 50mg in May, and I've reduced as low as 30mg. Anything lower, and it does not put me to sleep.

So what can I do?

I'm not sure really if I can taper. I started at 50mg in May, and I've reduced as low as 30mg. Anything lower, and it does not put me to sleep.

So what can I do?

Yep, read up on Seroquel and it seems to have different actions at different doses. I've never taken it, so this is a suggestion without me knowing much about it. Can you try a quick taper and see how it goes for you? It's apparently similar to benzos where some people can just stop taking it without much problems and others have to taper slow.

What if I taper it quickly, and if there are issues with sleep after, I just use alcohol to get through the rough patches?

Does that sound like an option. I did my CT from Zopiclone (and some occasional benzos - see signature) 3 months ago, so hoping that most of the WD is out of my system... If any.

Part of me thinks I built up such huge anxiety over taking pills to sleep, that I almost made myself think I was going through WD.

Any input on this?

Juliea:

I'm just applying benzo logic to another psych drug.  Many people titrate off seroquel from what I've read on survivingantidepressants.  Reducing by a quarter to an eight of a tablet is common when pill splitting to stop any medication that might be difficult to taper.  Makes sense to me and is only my opinion.

I get ya Juliea:

But my question is what mg dose to cut? 50, 100 mg? I don't think they come in 25 mg. Maybe I'm wrong about that?????

May I ask why you cold CD'd from Zop. In the research I've done it seems to be favorable to taper off a Z drug, as they are very similar to a benzo. I'm working with the wife to get he off Zop first and we have been tapering 1.25mgs approx every 2 weeks and it has been going as good as one could expect. Actually her sleeping has improved alot AND she used to get up in the night and eat like crazy.......serious case of the munchies! With no recollection of binge eating. One night she ate a half bag of brown sugar! lol This Zop stuff is wicked and I can't wait to have her off it.

Betsy, yes seroquel comes in 25mg tablets.

http://www.rxlist.com/seroquel-side-effects-drug-center.htm

Dosing preparations are 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, and 400 mg tablets.

So are you saying you would cut 25 mg into 8ths? Or cut maybe 50 or 100 into 8ths???

I'm saying that if I had been prescribed 50mg of seroquel like Damien for sleep, and was having horrible insomnia as I was tapering off, I would consider cutting the 25mg pills into quarters or eights, yes.  I would also consider titration to move off very, very slowly IF I was having problems.  This was what I would do in the OP's shoes, not yours Betsy, because I don't know your situation. 

I'd apply the 5-10 % rule if I was on a high dosage but at some stage in the taper, (the lower doses), I'd just pick a small linear cut I could tolerate and go with that until I hit zero.