Flumazenil for post-taper recovery

[cr...]

I wanted to vet this idea before I attempted it, myself.

If you don't know what Flumazenil is, it's a chemical used as an antidote to benzodiazepine overdoses and is used to reverse the effects of benzodiazepines after surgery. It's also used in benzodiazepine-dependence treatment centers, which promise to rid you of your dependence in a maximum of seven days. It does this by competing with benzodiazepines for receptor sites, providing a modicum of relief, and somehow up-regulating lost receptor sites. This treatment requires amounts of Flumazenil unknown to me, administered intravenously, so this isn't something I would attempt myself. I wouldn't want to risk ruining the taper.

BUT

From my preliminary checks, it is possible to purchase this chemical online, and it is possible to effectively administer this chemical sublingually.

SO

Is this something that would benefit somebody who's completed their taper, but still experiencing the usual acute withdrawal effects? Would this help speed the process of recovery, while providing a bit of relief at the same time? In my mind, a person would take a dose as small as a single milligram, every night, for a month, then take a month off.

Can anybody provide any criticism of this idea, or thoughts otherwise? It seems like a good idea to me, but I'm on a taper, myself, and my mind hasn't exactly been 100%.

Flumazenil is a highly experimental as far as being used to detox people off of benzos in a very controlled, medically supervised setting.  The drug induces an immediate cold turkey withdrawal when administered as a slow infusion as opposed to intravenously.  It knocks the benzo off of the receptors.  There have been suicides reported after being exposed to this treatment in the clinical setting so trying something like this at home is not recommended.

I believe you would be playing with fire to take this drug.  I believe the best thing we can do for our receptors is to allow the benzo to fade away naturally and allow time to heal them.  I would not touch this drug with a ten foot pole.

I don't believe there is enough research to conclude that this treatment definitely up regulates GABA receptors.  I'd wish to wait until this was much more thoroughly researched prior to trying this and even then I would definitely only try this while being very closely monitored by a doctor.

According to Emory University, a sublingual dose would have to be equal to 2mg per unit of BMI. This stuff is expensive, so this whole plan is off the table.

I had Flumazenil 'treatment' in hospital in Australia last June. I went c/t and am struggling to reduce even small amounts i.e. .1mg each 14 days. It has greatly kindled me and it is so much harder tapering this time. I was also suicidal for at least three months post. I had the treatment when I was at 4mg of valium and felt stuck. I had to reinstate to be able to leave hospital and get home.  I believed the 80% odds of it working the Dr had told me prior to treatment. I am now 12months post and have only managed to get from 10mg to 6.8 in that time and each cut is still hideous even though so small. You can see the post I did re the experience. If you do a search you will see mostly negative experiences and maybe one or two that said it worked. If it was so successful I'm sure we would be hearing more success stories.

• 4 weeks later...

I did the flumazenil treatment on June 18th and it did not work.  Now, when I take medications I get extreme, extreme fear.  I think the flumazenil did something to my GABA receptors.  I know you want relief but time is the only healer.

I would never touch flumazenil again!  I'm extremely suicidal and don't know if it's because of the treatment or not.  My doctors know how I'm feeling.