Need help titrating Librium Compound from RX

[dr...]

I am still confused and just can't seem to grasp the process of a daily micro-taper. Okay, I will attempt this one more time. Please excuse my ignorance, as I am not usually this dense, it's the poison. Okay,  I am currently titrating 1.75mls of Librium from a suspension which a compounding pharmacy has made for me. The concentration ratio is 5ml/5mg. I will be using two 1ml syringes. I plan on cutting .025mls daily from the one syringe, which is the current .75mls, and the second syringe will remain at 1ml until I am further into the taper, of course. Is this correct? Is the concentration okay, or should I have the pharmacist dilute the suspension to 1ml/1mg?

What I fail to understand is why are some discarding a portion of their dose? How is it that when I am drawing out a measured dose from the bottled suspension, I take the full dose? What is to be removed or discarded? Please explain what I fail to comprehend.

[fb...]

Hi,

The difference is as follows: if you have a compounded suspension, you take the dose from your bottle.

You just draw up with your syringe what you need.

Some people don't have a compounded solution and have to make their own.

For example, they dissolve Valium in milk/ water...

They will for example use a 1 mgr tablet in 100 ml,of water to make a solution.

The they will take out their cut/ reduction and drink the rest.

So, if someone is reducing 10% they would take out 10 ml and drink the 90 ml left.

Next day, take out 20 ml and drink the rest. Etc. until the one mgr is reduced.

You don't need to discard anything, since your solution is already pre made in the right dosage.

You take what you need and done.

It's a different way, is all.

I use a compound suspension as well. Just squirt in my mouth what I need and done.

But again: some people make their own. It works a bit different, is all.

Hope that clears it up.

If not, let me know. It can all be confusing at first.

:smitten:moo

I am still confused and just can't seem to grasp the process of a daily micro-taper. Okay, I will attempt this one more time. Please excuse my ignorance, as I am not usually this dense, it's the poison. Okay,  I am currently titrating 1.75mls of Librium from a suspension which a compounding pharmacy has made for me. The concentration ratio is 5ml/5mg. I will be using two 1ml syringes. I plan on cutting .025mls daily from the one syringe, which is the current .75mls, and the second syringe will remain at 1ml until I am further into the taper, of course. Is this correct? Is the concentration okay, or should I have the pharmacist dilute the suspension to 1ml/1mg?

What I fail to understand is why are some discarding a portion of their dose? How is it that when I am drawing out a measured dose from the bottled suspension, I take the full dose? What is to be removed or discarded? Please explain what I fail to comprehend.

Like Moo said, you are not doing anything wrong.  Some people find it easier to "pull to toss" rather than "pull to dose."  The result is the same.  You are pulling to dose.  It does not waste or discard any drug.

Your Librium concentration of 5mg/5ml (which is 1mg/ml) is a bit high, but may be workable.  If you have 100 tick marks on your 1ml syringe each one would be .01mg Librium.  So your daily cut 0f .025ml would be 2.5 tick marks.  That is a bit fine, but I think it is workable.

How often do you dose?

I thank the both of you for making my titrate crystal clear. Finally got it!! Just logged on after a lousy night, and TADA, you made my day!

I was inclined to think that others were making their own solution, but needed to have that clarified.

I am dosing once a day, in the AM. Okay, so I will continue to use the 5ml/5mg solution, and pull and toss. When you pose it as you did, "pull and toss", it makes so much sense. Moo, it is encouraging to know that you are using a bottled suspension as well. I was beginning to think I was the odd man out. So now I know it is just a matter of preference. Crystal Clear.

SG57, is it your feeling that I should be dosing a bit more than .025? I have been pretty aggressive with my cuts throughout, but I don't want to sabotage my efforts. Oh, question? If comfortable I am assuming that the cut will remain at .025 until the end, right? You answered my question about the equivalents on the syringe, thanks!

I thought I would have to abandon the titrate process because it seemed so intimidating. Thanks for restoring my confidence. I don't know what I, (we) would do without your knowledge, patience and total understanding.

Once again, thank you both for clarifying...couldn't do it without you guys,

dragonfly1

At your dose of 1.75mg L I would certainly not begin by cutting any higher than .025mg per day.  I'd cut at this for at least a few weeks to see how you tolerate it.  If things seem good you could consider moving up to something like .04mg or maybe even .05mg.  Or you could just call it good and stay at .025mg.

[fb...]

I thank the both of you for making my titrate crystal clear. Finally got it!! Just logged on after a lousy night, and TADA, you made my day!

I was inclined to think that others were making their own solution, but needed to have that clarified.

I am dosing once a day, in the AM. Okay, so I will continue to use the 5ml/5mg solution, and pull and toss. When you pose it as you did, "pull and toss", it makes so much sense. Moo, it is encouraging to know that you are using a bottled suspension as well. I was beginning to think I was the odd man out. So now I know it is just a matter of preference. Crystal Clear.

SG57, is it your feeling that I should be dosing a bit more than .025? I have been pretty aggressive with my cuts throughout, but I don't want to sabotage my efforts. Oh, question? If comfortable I am assuming that the cut will remain at .025 until the end, right? You answered my question about the equivalents on the syringe, thanks!

I thought I would have to abandon the titrate process because it seemed so intimidating. Thanks for restoring my confidence. I don't know what I, (we) would do without your knowledge, patience and total understanding.

Once again, thank you both for clarifying...couldn't do it without you guys,

dragonfly1

Hi again,

If you have a compounded solution, you just take what you need, like you said.

Right?

Also, I think it would be a really good idea for you to start a whole new support group if you would want to.

I don't see too many people on Librium. There are some but not as many as say, Valium.

You could start a Librium taper support group...

Let me know if that is something you might be interested in.

I could set it up for you if you're not sure how, or you can do it yourself.

Or... Not at all if yiu are not up for it right now.

Many types of benzo have their own. The Valium support thread, the Ativan support groups, etc.

I figured it might be nice for the Librium Taperers to discuss their drug as well...

Just a thought...

Hugs for you today,

Moo

Hi Moo,

Thank you for sharing this invaluable link. FANTASTIC!.  My apologies Moo for not responding to your earlier suggestion, as I was out and about. When the symptoms abate there is no time for procrastinating. One never knows when the deceptive drug will shorten its reigns on our poor tortured brains.

Awesome, a Librium Support Group. Encouraging and supporting other members on Librium to share their experiences will be vital to this site. Thank you Moo for putting it out there, and also for having the insight to recognize the need for Librium support on this forum.

Have a good night,

dragonfly1