Conversion from mg to ml

[...]

You need to be careful with this one, because there is no direct equivalency between milligrams and milliliters. A milliliter of a solution can contain more than one milligram of the solvent. Whomever prescribed you this liquid medication should have indicated how many milligrams there are in each milliliter of liquid.

Essentially, you need to know the mg/ml of the solution, then administer an amount of milliliters that contains the amount of milligrams you need.

I'm really confused. If I crush 10 mg of Valium into 100 mg solution, would 10 mg of solution equal 1 mg of V?

One mg equals one ml.  Doctor and pharmacist confirmed this.

1 ml of water = 1 mg

But for any other substance you need to know molecular weight.

I'm really confused. If I crush 10 mg of Valium into 100 mg solution, would 10 mg of solution equal 1 mg of V?

You take your dose, 10V and divide it by 100mil hopefully you use milk which in my opinion is best.

10v/100mil = .1mg  1mil=1mg

One mg equals one ml.  Doctor and pharmacist confirmed this.

Good Luck.

i wouldn't go to that doctor or that drugstore anymore.

Benzojunkie - I just checked this again with a different pharmacist and they also said that 1mg = 1ml of Valium.  Happened to have an appmt. with psychiatrist and she also confirmed this. 

Just saying.

Benzojunkie - I just checked this again with a different pharmacist and they also said that 1mg = 1ml of Valium.  Happened to have an appmt. with psychiatrist and she also confirmed this. 

Just saying.

I believe you are referring not to a home-brewed Valium / milk mixture, but referring to your prescription liquid diazepam?

If so, this happens to be your particular concentration.  The concentration on your particular prescription.  This does not mean another person will have the same concentration.  I've seen Valium come in odd concentrations, I can't remember exactly but some were 2mg/5ML concentrations.  Please understand Valium as other liquid benzo solutions can have different concentrations than yours.

I could melt 5mg of Valium in 1ML of Vodka.  If I did that the solution formed would be 1ML = 5mg.

^^^^  :thumbsup:

This is correct. It will totally depend on the concentration. I believe in the UK their liquid valium is the 2mg=5ml variety, so in that case 1mg definitely DOESN'T equal 1ml (it actually equals 2.5ml). A lot of phama grade liquid valiums do come in the 1mg=1ml ratio, but it should never be assumed that this is the case, unless it is confirmed on the label or by the pharmacist.

To make your own 1ml=1mg solution you would be best off using 1mg valium (half a tablet) with 1ml of vodka. That will make a true 1ml=1mg solution. Then you can add whatever amount of water you want to make a less concentrated solution that can be more easily used for titration.

MG is a measure of weight, like US ounces and pounds.  ML is a measure of fluid volume, like US gallons.  There is no conversion between ML and MG.

However, if you have a med dissolved or suspended in a liquid, then you would have to know the specific concentration to "convert".  For example, in the US, there are 2 versions of pharma-grade liquid V, one is 1mg-1ml, and the other is  5mg=1ml.  In the UK, liquid V is 2 mg=5ml.