Do I have the right equipment for titration?

[Om...]

My 100 ML graduated cylinder came in today, and my syringe only reaches down to the 90 ML mark. Even when I tilt the cylinder sideways, I cant seem to get a good handle on drawing out the liquid with my 10ML syringe. What can I do to solve this?

Also, could I use a 100ML beaker instead? It has much larger increment markings, but I could verify how much im pulling out with a 1ML or 10 ML syringe. At least the syringes would fit in the beaker.

Hi O,  Can you tell me what your plan is?  You have a pre-made liquid?  And you put it into the cylinder to the 100ml mark?  Then what?

Hello my friend. Im going to be dissolving my daily dose into 100ml of water, cutting 1ML, then dividing the remainder into thirds for my 3 doses throughout the day. The problem is, is that my 10ML syringe that I'll be doing the cutting with doesn't fit into my graduated cylinder. I was wondering how I would go about getting that 1 ML cut. I have a 100 ML beaker on order with 10ML graduations ( way to large) just so ill have something to measure 100ml in to, that I can also fit my syringe in. Will I still be able to do my 1ML per day cut with this monstrosity? Im scared because I wont be able to see EXACTLY how much is in the beaker after I do my cut. I know Im cutting too fast, but Ive seen videos of people doing 1 ML cuts a day that had little trouble.

Is there a way that I'm not thinking of that I would be able to use my graduated cylinder and be able to cut without risk of spillage, or transferring my drug solution between multiple containers?

Thanks in advance

I would not do my benzo mixing in the cylinder, if I were titrating.  I'd only use the cylinder for measuring the 100ML of liquid.  In fact, many people don't even buy a cylinder.  They use a high volume syringe to measure out their liquid into a glass container with a lid.

I'd pour the measured liquid from the cylinder into a large enough glass container with a lid and then get my benzo mixed in this container.  Then I'd draw out my reduction from the glass container with a low volume syringe and toss it and then divide the remainder equally into my dosing jars for the day.

I'm not commenting on how much to reduce per day because I've never titrated.  But I would personally only use the graduated cylinder for measuring, not mixing.

Watch out for internet videos.  Just because they made a video and posted it does not mean it is correct or advisable.  I've seen a couple that made me cringe.

People do use water to suspend benzos, but it will NOT dissolve lorazepam.  Still, it is done and some have success while others fail.  That is too inaccurate and uneven for my blood and I never recommend using water as a liquid.

What Juliea said seems reasonable to me.  Use the cylinder to measure only.  Get a mix jar and two other jars for dosing.  Make your cut from the mix and split it three even ways.

Thank you for your help. Could I use a small amount of vodka (say 5 ml) to dissolve the liquid and then put it in 95ml of water? What other liquids are available for use?

I think that would be a HUGE improvement.  Look up SophiasNana and look into her method.  She has it posted I think.  It seems to be working well for her.

Another way I've seen is to use straight vodka and a pipette (the pipette is like a "super syringe" and allow super accurate liquid measurement so you can cut way down on the amount of liquid used).  I really like this method, but a pipette costs maybe $80.  If I were starting out now this is what I would use.

With ativan, and all benzos really, OraPlus is another choice.  It only suspends the benzo like water does, but it is MADE for this purpose and does a much better job.  I'd still rather dissolve it though, if possible, so vodka would be my choice.

Another choice is to get propylene glycol, but that strikes me as kind of exotic and unnecessary.  That's about all I am aware of.

Thank you Juliea! I thought I wasn't going to be able to titrate! Such a relief. If she can dissolve 4 pills of .5mg into a 100ml solution using her method, 3 .5mg pills should be cake. God bless you for giving me a link  :smitten:

Where there's a will, there is a way.  Also, when switching from pills to liquid, it's best to not reduce for about a week too allow the body to get accustomed to the new liquid delivery system.  So I'd drink the liquid without tossing anything away for that first week. 

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  :smitten: