Important Survey - Please Participate ×

At one year and in the worst wave in MONTHS...Help!

[He...]

I feel as though I am going backwards.  I have had a miserable day and this wave is getting worse.  I have spent most of the day in bed, which is completely unlike me, and I am suffering with lots of physical and emotional symptoms.  I have a deep depression and I am so very afraid.  I was doing so good, but feel worse than I can even remember feeling.  What is going on? 

I am so very afraid that this is going to continue to get worse...  :'( :'( :'(  I just hit the year mark on July 1.

Please help me.

I ask this a lot, but are you on any meds at all or any supplements? They behave very strangely in and just out of withdrawal.

I ask this a lot, but are you on any meds at all or any supplements? They behave very strangely in and just out of withdrawal.

No meds, and just the occasional magnesium/calcium/zinc and D supplements.  I haven't been very consistent with them.  I also just started taking Emergen-C again after not taking it for about a month.  I thought that maybe not having the C was contributing to my upswing in waves during this same time.  I used to have many, many good days, but now I seem to have more waves. 

zmt,

I just saw your posts on the depression board regarding magnesium.  I was taking magnesium every day for months, but have been very hit or miss about taking it for the last 6 weeks or so....about the time that my waves started becoming more active.  I took it again 2 night ago, but not last night.  Do you think there may be a connection?

Cant offer any help unfortunately, but Just wanna say im in exactly the same place, I hit my 11 month mark tomorrow and have been in my worst wave yet for the past week, spent the last 3 days in bed too with head pressure and anxiety out the ass. Sucks coz i was actually in a really good window for the couple of weeks beforehand and was getting hopeful that the end was in sight. This whole process is so cruel in the way it raises your hopes just to slam you back down again with no warning.

Have you drank alchohol or anything, I think thats what through me back into hell, i was feeling so good i decided to risk having a few beers while watching the world cup, big mistake :(

Just know your not alone, just keep telling yourself it will all be over one day.

Yes. I'm sure that's what it is.

You are one of many of us being thrown back into acute thanks to magnesium withdrawal.

I'm sorry to hear it. It sucks.

I wish I had never taken it.

zmt,

I just saw your posts on the depression board regarding magnesium.  I was taking magnesium every day for months, but have been very hit or miss about taking it for the last 6 weeks or so....about the time that my waves started becoming more active.  I took it again 2 night ago, but not last night.  Do you think there may be a connection?

Cant offer any help unfortunately, but Just wanna say im in exactly the same place, I hit my 11 month mark tomorrow and have been in my worst wave yet for the past week, spent the last 3 days in bed too with head pressure and anxiety out the ass. Sucks coz i was actually in a really good window for the couple of weeks beforehand and was getting hopeful that the end was in sight. This whole process is so cruel in the way it raises your hopes just to slam you back down again with no warning.

Have you drank alchohol or anything, I think thats what through me back into hell, i was feeling so good i decided to risk having a few beers while watching the world cup, big mistake :(

Just know your not alone, just keep telling yourself it will all be over one day.

Rocco,

I'm sorry you are being hit, too.  This really, really sucks.  No alcohol for me yet, I haven't been brave enough...even on my good days. 

You are one of many of us being thrown back into acute thanks to magnesium withdrawal.

zmt,

UGH!!! So what to do, in your opinion?  Start taking it on a regular basis and not skip, or don't take it again?

Hey HH,

Towards the end of my taper I began to develop the weird "hypersensitivities" of withdrawal.

In the course of trying to help my anxiety and muscle pain I found that vitamins B, C and D, magnesium, calcium, fish oils, L-theanine, oxytocin and bananas all made me much worse.

I had difficulty believing this...I had taken them all before with no problem and "theoretically" they were such good ideas.

So I tried most of them again before I finally got the message...and stopped throwing random, chemical rocks at systems already in crisis.

The aim of withdrawal is to give the brain time to rebalance. Mine didn't seem to appreciate my attempts to "help".

Take care,

spartacus

Given that magnesium induces a benzo-like withdrawal syndrome, do you really feel safe taking it long-term? I strongly suspect the large number of unresolved cases here has to do with the copious amounts of supplements everyone takes.

I would treat it like a benzo. You could reinstate and taper off or just ride it out. I'm almost two weeks out and don't want to go through the worst of it again. The first three days were a living hell, closest only to acute benzo withdrawal. It was worse than any antidepressant withdrawal I've been through, and I've taken effexor!

If you're comfortable taking it over time knowing what it does, that's your decision. But I'm never taking it again.

zmt,

UGH!!! So what to do, in your opinion?  Start taking it on a regular basis and not skip, or don't take it again?

Yesterday was one of the worst days I have experienced in this recovery process.  There are only 1 or 2 other days that I had that were as bad.  To be honest, the fact that I had a day like that, where I basically didn't get out of bed and had to miss two activities I had scheduled, when I am over a year off is terrifying! 

I am doing better today, though I wouldn't say it is a "good" day...but at least I'm out of bed, have got some things done already, and am getting ready to head out of the house. 

Anyone else have their worst day after so much progress and healing?  :o

Z, This is interesting.  I'm not sure what to think because it seemed like magnesium was helping me for so long!  I only took one tablet yesterday, which equates to 33% recommended daily allowance, rather than my usual 3.

Given that magnesium induces a benzo-like withdrawal syndrome, do you really feel safe taking it long-term? I strongly suspect the large number of unresolved cases here has to do with the copious amounts of supplements everyone takes.

I would treat it like a benzo. You could reinstate and taper off or just ride it out. I'm almost two weeks out and don't want to go through the worst of it again. The first three days were a living hell, closest only to acute benzo withdrawal. It was worse than any antidepressant withdrawal I've been through, and I've taken effexor!

If you're comfortable taking it over time knowing what it does, that's your decision. But I'm never taking it again.

zmt,

Hopefully with tapering it won't be so bad. I'm glad your day is better!

It's crazy what pills do to us in withdrawal. I was a champion for magnesium when this all began. I really wish it worked over time, but based on all the experiences I've read about, particularly recently, magnesium seems to be a time bomb.

Yesterday was one of the worst days I have experienced in this recovery process.  There are only 1 or 2 other days that I had that were as bad.  To be honest, the fact that I had a day like that, where I basically didn't get out of bed and had to miss two activities I had scheduled, when I am over a year off is terrifying! 

I am doing better today, though I wouldn't say it is a "good" day...but at least I'm out of bed, have got some things done already, and am getting ready to head out of the house. 

Anyone else have their worst day after so much progress and healing?  :o

Z, This is interesting.  I'm not sure what to think because it seemed like magnesium was helping me for so long!  I only took one tablet yesterday, which equates to 33% recommended daily allowance, rather than my usual 3.

zmt,

Well, here we go with the magnesium again. I'm going to taper off of it. I feel very weird today and felt weird yesterday starting in the afternoon. I didn't think it could be magnesium and thought that I was just continuing on with the long wave I've been in. Thanks for the info, zmt! I thought I was helping my body with omega-3 and D also. I've been starting to taper off the D.

HealingHope, I'm so sorry you're experiencing this!!  :'( I was just reading your story yesterday, and it made me feel so good. Maybe we both need to get off the magnesium altogether.

HealingHope, I'm so sorry you're experiencing this!!  :'( I was just reading your story yesterday, and it made me feel so good. Maybe we both need to get off the magnesium altogether.

Hi Terry,

It sure is weird isn't it?  I'm not sure what to think, but yesterday was one of the top 3 worst days I have experienced through this whole recovery process!  Totally threw me for a loop.  It's interesting that I have been cycling in and out of waves more frequently in the past 6 weeks....and it coincides with me becoming very lax about taking the magnesium.  I would maybe take it every couple of days, when I used to take it every night without fail.  I don't know, it could all be coincidence, but I think I'm going to give my body a break from it. 

Thankfully today is much better than yesterday was!  Certainly not 100%, but probably about a good 60, and going up.  Yesterday I was questioning this whole process:  Was I really healing? Would I ever heal? Did this really have nothing to do with benzo w/d and recovery and I was simply just mentally ill? 

Yikes! 

I hope you start feeling better!  :smitten:

Thanks, HealingHope, and good luck with getting off magnesium. I hope that once that's gone, you'll get back to feeling well again. I really enjoyed your story so much yesterday, and it gave me a lot of hope!!  :thumbsup:

You're welcome! :)

It's uncomfortable, but I'm so happy that some of us have identified what's been holding us back.

Keep us posted!

Well, here we go with the magnesium again. I'm going to taper off of it. I feel very weird today and felt weird yesterday starting in the afternoon. I didn't think it could be magnesium and thought that I was just continuing on with the long wave I've been in. Thanks for the info, zmt! I thought I was helping my body with omega-3 and D also. I've been starting to taper off the D.

No meds, and just the occasional magnesium/calcium/zinc and D supplements.  I haven't been very consistent with them.  I also just started taking Emergen-C again after not taking it for about a month.  I thought that maybe not having the C was contributing to my upswing in waves during this same time.  I used to have many, many good days, but now I seem to have more waves.

Hi HealingHope.  I'm sorry you are having such a tough time right now.  I see others are discussing whether being inconsistent with your supplements could be a factor and this is something I would look at if I was in your position.

I hope your wave passes soon. 

[57...]
So what happens if you are taking magnesium and it's helping? I've been taking a small dose of the topical, oil form of magnesium for maybe 2 weeks now, and I have been feeling better (although I'm not sure if it's from magnesium or not). I find it helps to calm me down. Are you saying that after awhile it will stop working, or that once I stop the magnesium I'll go back to acute suffering? I wonder if it makes a difference whether or not you are using it in pill or oil form.... my dose is very low, less than the recommended daily allowance. I don't take any other supplements.

zmt,

Dear Healing Hope,

Have you checked your blood magnesium level? Nobody is mentioning that here. My Mom cannot take magnesium in this whole process, only occasionally, because Her magnesium level was in its upper range. Overdosing can be creating a lot of toxic symptoms and in extreme cases can be fatal. Benzos mess up mineral balance in human body and aldosterone performance so without checking how much of something I actually already have I would not supplement anything. I would definitely skip it if I were you and check it out when you will do your blood work. I hope you are feeling better soon. Mrubar

I think magnesium is a time bomb. The problem is that you don't know when it will start giving you issues. So while it may help now, you may find yourself worsening over time, or worse still, you may find yourself suddenly in an acute-like state without warning, which has happened to several buddies on magnesium in the past two weeks.

If you haven't been on long, quitting might not cause problems. But most people who get problems while on it seem to get withdrawal symptoms coming off.

Personally I don't think it's worth the risk at all.

And as noted above, in large amounts magnesium is toxic. It can kill you, though it's rare and typically is only life I threatening if you have kidney disease.

So what happens if you are taking magnesium and it's helping? I've been taking a small dose of the topical, oil form of magnesium for maybe 2 weeks now, and I have been feeling better (although I'm not sure if it's from magnesium or not). I find it helps to calm me down. Are you saying that after awhile it will stop working, or that once I stop the magnesium I'll go back to acute suffering? I wonder if it makes a difference whether or not you are using it in pill or oil form.... my dose is very low, less than the recommended daily allowance. I don't take any other supplements.

I wonder if I am particularly sensitive to all supplements right now, or if this is part of the magnesium thing.  I took an Emergen-C about 3 hours ago, and my anxiety is ramping up through the roof again.  I used to be able to take Emergen-Cs on a regular basis, sometimes 2-3 a day.  It seemed to help calm my anxiety if it was bad. 

Maybe this is all just a continuation of yesterday's wave....

:'(

[57...]
Thank you, I appreciate the heads up. I googled "magnesium withdrawal" and found absolutely nothing though... not sure what to think as it seems so beneficial. Maybe it just affects some of us in benzo withdrawal :sick: Or maybe it's all just a coincidence... it's so hard to tell what actually causes a wave, if anything!

Hello Everyone.

About magnesium.

When found in foods this is usually in association with calcium.

The absorption and excretion of calcium and magnesium are interdependent, they compete.

One of the causes of a low calcium level is supplemental magnesium or its chronic ingestion in antacids or laxatives.

A low calcium level(hypocalcaemia)is associated with neuromuscular irritability...twitches, spasms, pseudotetany, hypnic jerks?

If planning to take artificial magnesium regularly it is advisable to take two or three times as much calcium at the same time...theoretically it would be a good idea to monitor the serum levels of both to check your progress while you're doing it.

In the absence of a definite deficiency of one or both it is possibly best to take neither.

spartacus