Foster Homes Receive Cash Incentive To Psych Drug Children

[Ri...]

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse. . .

Child Protective Services offers cash incentives to put children in foster homes on psych drugs.

I don't know whether to scream or cry - so I'm going to do something constructive and post it instead. 

River

Go to 4:41 for the short version

[b4...]

The use of antipsychotics in children is really concerning. My own psychiatric drug use started at 17 back in 1985 when they were using benzos in the "manic-depressive" drug cocktail. Due to concerns over benzo addiction, they're now using antipsychotics instead. The problem is the bipolar diagnosis has now opened up to include any type of depression (no matter how minor) and any type of mania (even if it's caused by antidepressants or stimulants).

The drug companies got their drug patents extended when they tested antipsychotics on children, and Seroquel was approved. It really is about making money for the pharmaceutical companies. Seroquel has been a leading drug on the market for years. And know bipolar's are on the same drug cocktail as schizophrenics. Even children are taking the same drug cocktail - antidepressant or stimulant, mood stabilizer, and antipsychotic. Starting as young as two. Wow.

Has anyone read Robert Whitaker's "Anatomy of an Epidemic"? It's eye opening. Made me really question my bipolar diagnosis.

Thanks for the link, River. It's scary stuff.  Do you think this is going to get any better? No one seems to be paying any attention and we're getting so desensitized to using these meds, even on the most vulnerable.  Dr. Gabor Mate said there are so many kids on psychiatric drugs because their parents or care givers are. Ummm. . . .we are becoming so desensitized to everything. Hope this changes. . . .

I give myself headaches and panic attacks trying to brainstorm ways to contribute to the busting up of these 'myths' of mental illness.

No one-no one looks at the circumstances people who get labelled with a diagnosis come from.  Trauma causes 'mental illness'.  Society is sick.  We are all spinning in solitude, suppose to pick ourselves up and go on to contribute to the machine that modern life has become.

No one is successful all by themselves. 

I second the 'Anatomy of an Epidemic' recommendation; it is responsible for my quitting the drugs.  I also recommend the website Mad in America.

How to organize people who have been marginalized with a psych diagnosis?  My brain hurts....

[b4...]
Hey, cookienose. Yes, I like the Mad in America site, too. Robert Whitaker is brilliant. Wish more people would wake up and hear the cries of the drugged and marginalized.

Are antipsychotics any easier to get off of than benzos??  Or are most people basically on them for life like with benzos???

I too read "anatomy of an epidemic", a real eye opener. 

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse. . .

Child Protective Services offers cash incentives to put children in foster homes on psych drugs.

I don't know whether to scream or cry - so I'm going to do something constructive and post it instead. 

River

Go to 4:41 for the short version

Thank you, River.  I respect you so much.  This is the kind of social media that makes me cry. Drugging innocent children makes me sick to my stomach. I'm completely disgusted with the AMA, APA, and the FDA.  Hugs

:smitten:

This kind of thing is just the tip of the Iceberg and it does not surprise me in the least.

sad world we are living in, not human anymore. :(

[b4...]
Are antipsychotics any easier to get off of than benzos??  Or are most people basically on them for life like with benzos???

I too read "anatomy of an epidemic", a real eye opener. 

Hi, tinfoil. I'm coming off Seroquel, and it's nowhere near as difficult as coming off of Klonopin. The biggest problem I'm having is getting to sleep, but that's getting better as the rebound insomnia from the Klonopin wears off.

I think it depends on why you're on the antipsychotic. Seroquel is used off label as a sleeping pill. Supposed to be better than benzos, but we all know what they said about benzos when they first came out.  :idiot:

I worked directly in the foster care system as a crisis therapist for years. And I'm on my iPad here so for some reason (which happens occasionally on this thing) I could not get the YouTube video to play.

I am not aware of cash incentives being given to foster caregivers to use drugs on foster kids here in this state, but I'm certainly not precluding the possibility. I would find it rather "incredible" to have big Pharma market to foster parents directly, but not at all incredible that they would do so to CPS at all.

From my years of experience, I can absolutely say that numerous kids in foster care, elementary age to adolescents, are on some kind of AD, AP, anticonvulsant, traditional bi polar med like lithium, ADHD med, and often (oh so often), combinations of all these and more.

Most kids in foster care have experienced trauma of some kind whether it be neglect, abuse or abandonment or drug use by their biological parents. And the actual removal of the child from their biological parent also constitutes trauma even when the parent is abusive or whatever the reason may be. And so the majority of these kids act out their trauma in ways that make many difficult to manage.

So yes, they are very often diagnosed with some "mental health disorder" that supposedly requires some medication. And that medication may help the acting out become more manageable for caregivers and DCFS workers. But it doesn't solve these problems by any stretch of the imagination. I've seen many a "well medicated" foster child continue to "go bonkers" on a daily basis with a boatload of meds being taken. These kids need plenty of therapy and there isn't enough government resources being allocated for that at all. So with the idea that pills solve everything combined with no therapy allocations, this goes on regularly and that is a fact.

Intend

• 2 weeks later...

The judges need an education!  Most of the Liberal judges I have met are 100% for pyc meds and will put you in jail if you try to taper a kid court ordered to be on meds.  If you want to see the muscle of big pharma in action watch these court cases involving foster kids and pcy meds, the judges are powerful advocates for drugging kids and the pyc dr. they recommend the kids to see are 100% pro drug, the more addictive the drug the better it seems. Great way to control people, try to go off the grid and escape the system and go crazy in withdrawal. CONTROL.

I still think it's Orwellion in nature having to report to the pharmacy every month for pyc meds. It makes people easy to control too, the whole racket smacks of "1984"  it's just plain creepy living in our new age CHEMICAL PRISON!!!

No bars, no jail yards BUT you will report back or else, PAIN.

That's what it is,  A freaking CHEMICAL PRISON it is!  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Birdman,

You are absolutely right. I've worked in the system for years as I said before.

And another "tragedy" in the making is that as soon as the kids age out of foster care, there is no system in place to continue their meds. So those who are on them must literally go cold turkey.

I'm often amazed at the resilience of these young people who must weather this incredible storm.

Birdie, you said it so well , i remember when i read '1984' thinking this will

never happen. well, now we know it did indeed. :(