5-HTP causing Insomnia instead of helping me sleep!

[cr...]

I took my first dose of 5-HTP tonight, and while I feel a little better mood wise, I can absolutely not sleep a wink.  It is giving me insomnia and making me feel wired... Just like all the prescribed anti-depressants do to me as well.

I am so frustrated.

Has anyone else had insomnia on 5-HTP?

CC,

To be perfectly honest with you, nothing truly helps with wd except time and I speak from experience from a cold turkey.  You have only been off since June and that's really not a very long time for recovery.  I, along with many others, have tried supplements and other remedies and nothing truly helps with symptoms.  There are ways to cope to make us feel a little better and get through it but it's not in pill or supplement form. 

What I've found is that, for me, the more I tried supplements the worse I felt and it seemed to set me back.  I've been off for over a year and I'm just now starting to take Tylenol PM for sleep but I can't do that everynight and I only take one.

Hang in there, it will get better.  :smitten:

I echo tropicalsoul's comments exactly.  Still, some things we just gotta find out for ourselves, eh?  Your comment,

There are ways to cope to make us feel a little better and get through it but it's not in pill or supplement form
is an intriguing concept; one that transcends sleep or benzo issues.  This could make all the difference in your recovery should you endeavor to explore that mysterious comment ;)

Thomas

:)  I was referring to books, relaxation cd's, meditation, etc.  Nothing really mysterious or all that exciting.  Same old stuff we've heard all along. 

Trust me Thomas, if I had anything new everyone would know about it!  ;) 

I guess I need to clarify that I am not taking 5-HTP or any other mood enhancer in an effort to lessen my withdrawal syndrome symptoms.  I can not tease apart withdrawal induced depression from the serious depression I had before I ever took a benzo.  I already had bad depression and bad OCD before... which lead me to take the Klonopin in the first place.