Hydroxazine "atarax" for anxiety? what do y'all think?

[Mi...]

Benn researching and come across this drug that may be good for anixiety.

Has anyone heard of it or used it when coming off benzos?

Hydroxazine "atarax" for anxiety? what do y'all think?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I have done a search of the forum (upper right hand box) for Atarax and here is a post from Colin regarding his usage of it....

Hi,

I don't get to read all the posts here these days, so missed your question to me - I just saw your shout!

I took Atarax (Hydroxyzine) because my sleep became so totally messed up. I took 12 doses over about 18 days. In hindsight, I might have taken it for a shorter period of time. I've taken the odd dose since, but I think this caused more problems than it cured. I think it is an option if you are very ill from lack of sleep, but I don't think I'd recommend it unless things are desperate. Any sleep aid tends to become ineffective with use, so I think I'll probably only ever take it again in the most desperate of circumstances.

It made me sleep, and I really needed it. It had an immediate effect (I was taking 25mg at night). My doctor mentioned that he could prescribe a dose for half the amount, but in his experience, 25mg was needed to do the trick. He seemed to get it right for me.

I don't know if there are potential problems with using Atarax and tapering off benzos. When I looked for information, I could find nothing that helped. However, I'm five years off Clonazepam, so I'm in different position to most people at BenzoBuddies.

I hope this helps.

I am also going to move this thread to the Other Prescribed Medications board.