Coping with the practical side of tapering

[Be...]

I've only just started my taper and would appreciate some advice on coping with day to day practicalities. The liquid is supposed to be kept in the fridge. I take my daily dose around 6.30 pm. What happens if I have to go out and won't be home at that time? I do a voluntary job where the shift times mean I might not be home until 7.15 sometimes. It's quite hot here at the moment so I don't feel I should take the medicine around in the car. It was so easy with tablets, I kept some on me at all times and spare ones at home.

What happens if I go away. We were planning a trip in September and would be staying in a motel where they don't have fridges in the rooms.

Also is anyone else scared of something happening to the medicine like dropping the bottle or spilling it and not being able to get more because I am not am home or it's weekend and the doctor isn't there. I still have a few tablets but don't want to put myself back where I started by taking one.

I hope this doesn't sound silly and over anxious. I have OCD and I've always been a person who kept some meds in my handbag and spares in my suitacase when away plus some at home just in case of theft or loss but I can't do that now.

Perhaps I shouldn't go away this year. We haven't booked yet but that will make me really depressed. What do you all do?

I take tablets so no help there but when my kids were young and they were on a medicene we took a small cooler, where you could put frozen packs in it and also ice. I checked it periodically, if we needed more ice we would stop and get more ice. At the hotel without a frig, we would put buckets of ice in the cooler. This is very doable,  never had a problem. Good luck, Kay

[bd...]

If you delay your dosing for 45 minutes, there will be a slight drop in the amount of med in your body for that hour.  Depending on the half-life of the med, that drop could be essentially insignificant (less than 1% change for valium).  That's a big reason for taking longer-acting benzos during withdrawal.  You do get a little flexibility.  fwiw - that also applies to minor variations that might occur during cutting or crushing.  Small variations (e.g. 5-10%) in the amount of med one takes per dose end up causing only very minor variations in the amount of med in your body.

Wam milk is no fun.  Consider using an insulated thermos for storing the milk during the evening.  I have some fake ice cubes that I can 'freeze' and put into a beverage to help keep it cold. 

Depending on where you live, you may be able to purchase ultra-pasteurized milk that does not need refrigeration.  Or you can order milk with your meal, and take it back to your room for 'processing'.

And yes, the fear of running out of pills used to bother me.  That's one reason that I'm glad to be off of them.