Has anyone successfully used milk to taper valium? HelpPlease

[Ma...]

Hi there - removed a 2mg pill from my 4mg/100ml mix - as I have now cut 50% of the mix...

Starting to feel symptoms today and worried that the milk mix isn't really even and who knows what dose I am really on..

I think this is irrational.. but looking for someone to weigh in that has tapered with milk successfully - and removed pills. In other words - are we sure milk effectively evenly distributes the valium for even cuts...

Thanks for your help -  starting to worry...

I have been putting my whole 4mg night dose into 100ml and reducing from there.. have now taken out half..

Was this wrong?! - should I have been just mixing 1mg of valium in the milk...and taking the rest in pill form? Does that matter?

Thank you for your help.. very worried I have done this wrong and screwed up..

First of all, don't be worried that you have screwed up. It's nothing that a hold for a while won't fix.

I know that there is a method of titration on BB which says to put your whole dose in the titration mixture, but IMO that is fraught with problems because you are taking whole tablets, which have an accurate dosage and can be taken separately as whole accurate doses, but you are putting them into a liquid mixture and fiddling with their accuracy. Also, putting your whole dose into a reasonably small amount of liquid gives you are very concentrated titrated mixture, so any small inaccuracies with your measurements will be highlighted.

I personally feel that the best method for titration is to only use the smallest amount you can, ie for valium that is 1mg (or 2mg if you don't want to split your tablets). The rest of your dose can be taken as whole (or part) tablets. In your case, you can take a whole 2mg tablet and then use 1mg to titrate. Far less complicated too.

Thanks for the advice..saw others putting whole dose in then dividing it up... the BDR folks.. but  i get your point!

so what would you do if you were me? I had been dissolving 4mg into 100ml milk - then cutting.Take 1mg tab during day. It was going alright.

Now have 50% cut from milk dose..

I am assuming I can't be too far off 2mg since i have cut half the liquid? My fear is that the milk method doesn't really work and I haven't been cutting much valium.. and therefore way off when i took out the 2mg pill from my solution. I know that sounds crazy.. talk me off the ledge Diazapm:)

Would you just hold with 2mg in the liquid for now.. and then stabilize.. then cut... or hold w 2mg in milk and then shift 1mg out to pill later?

If you feel you have reduced your dose by half, what I would do is just take a 2mg dose per day for a little while – and see what happens. You can just take the tablet whole and not worry about the liquid for a while. If it’s the right dose then you should feel okay, but if it’s not, you’ll soon know about it. You’re probably not too far off 2mg (if you’re off at all), so if you don’t feel right, perhaps you could just keep holding at that dose for a while until you do feel okay.

Then I would proceed by taking 1mg as a dry tablet, and putting 1mg in the 100ml of liquid and reducing that. You can work out how much you need to reduce each day by dividing the 100ml by the number of days you think you need to reduce 1mg. It’s pretty easy.

The milk method should work quite well, as long as you were mixing it well while you were measuring your dose, and I’m sure you were doing that. I do know that it’s very easy to start doubting everything when things aren’t going right. Been there many times myself.

If you do have worries about the milk, you do have the other options of Liquid Valium, or using 1ml of vodka to dissolve 1mg of valium and then adding 99ml of water to make the 100ml solution. Actually you don't even need as much as 1ml of vodka. It just makes it easier to keep to whole numbers.

Oh should add - when you split tablets you should make sure you use up the split tablets over consecutive doses - just in case there are any inaccuracies with the cuts.

Mark,  I know you are having symptoms and are associating them with the change in milk amount, but honestly I don't see how that could be the problem as this has worked for you for quite a while, right?  Really nothing is different as far as I can see.  I would look for other causes for the symptoms.  There is no way your body would know the difference between 4mg in 100ml then tossing 50ml, and 2mg in 50ml.  They are the same.  I think the question of whether the milk distributes the drug evenly is irrelevant in this case as you used it successfully prior to this.  If it worked before, it will work now.  My two cents.

Thanks so much SG and Diaz-Pam. Very helpful. Stressing about it also doesn't help symptoms:)

I will hold w 2mg in 50ML for now.. may just be the last .4mg of cuts catching up to me. I am not in really bad shape - so fingers crossed..

Thanks again

M

Thanks for the support folks. Had 2 rough days and then back to feeling good. Not sure it was removing the pill from the mix - or just the accumulation of cutting .4 over last month..  either way its nice to know the milk taper is pretty accurate! Removing a pill is the real test of how accurate your dose level is when microtapering. My concern over that also contributed to symptoms of course:)

Small milestone - under 3mg - yes! Long way still to go..but have cut 80% of dose since last summer..

Thanks again SG and Diaze-pam!