Why do we no longer have any rights in the medical system?

[Po...]

[61...]

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated event. I've been hospitalized three times. The most extensive time was 3 months in a state hospital. You do lose all rights. The right to decide what drugs you take. The right to go outside. The right to have visitors. Did I mention the right to leave? It's always a locked ward.

I'm hoping this changes.

Have you checked out the Mad in America site:  http://www.madinamerica.com/

MIA is working to get rid of this type of insanity within the medical community. And within our society which allows it to continue to happen.

Yes I have, it's a great site. The laws applying to those diagnosed with "mental illness" are horrifying and unfair.

What I didn't fully realize was how someone could enter the medical system with a non-"mental health" related problem, even having set up power of attorney beforehand, and end up in this situation.  I fully intend to stay away from the medical system now knowing what I know, but anyone can be in an accident or other emergency.

How can we protect our rights? If power of attorney and such things don't even do it, are we all in danger from this system?

[61...]
How can we protect our rights? If power of attorney and such things don't even do it, are we all in danger from this system?

It is very scary, indeed. I'm hoping things change. You're totally right - you can't protect yourself from an accident.

I plan on staying as far away from doctors as possible. I'll list benzos (ALL benzos), as well as all antidepressants and antipyschotics as drugs I'm allergic to. Don't know if that will help (if a power of attorney, etc. doesn't, I'm not sure this will). And I'll research any medication that's prescribed. I mean, research in the most paranoid manner.

What's even scarier - there's a diagnosis in the DSM-5 that is "Treatment Noncompliance Disorder." If you disagree with your shrink, there's a diagnosis for that. And it can be billed to the insurance company or government. Isn't that even more scary?  :crazy:

[61...]
I hope I get well in time for the revolution. :(  Right now I can't even think straight.

I hear ya, cookienose. That's a huge part of the problem, IMHO.

I mean, we have literally millions of folks on psych drugs, but the drugs numb your emotions. And then the withdrawal, well, we can all attest to what that does to your motivation, ability to fight back, etc. And then you have the stigma of having a disease or disorder that makes your voice even smaller in response to the bullhorn of the medical establishment and big pharma.

And most people on these drugs are totally clueless to this. I know I was for decades.

But like you, cookie, I hope to be well in time for the revolution. We'll get there, friend, we'll get there.  :thumbsup:

That's good to hear they did the right thing, finally. Too bad whatever damage was done to him by all the drugs, and the trauma to him and his family.

I wonder how many cases like this we don't hear about?

[61...]
I wonder how many cases like this we don't hear about?

I'm sure it's a high number. Bret had tons of people advocating for him. He was lucky in that respect. So many people not only don't have that, they have family that demand their "loved ones" be hospitalized "for their own good."

I'm glad this worked out. The more publicity this gets, the more people pay attention and the sooner things change.  :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
[07...]

Sooo, something serious was wrong with the guy from Alaska, we don't know what Or why, but it was to the point he didn't sleep 24 days, according to the article. He was in intensive care and delirious, indicating significant trauma is likely and that he was not in a state to go home safely. It is unclear, unless I missed it, if the parents ever tried to to transfer him to another hospital when they didn't approve of treatment- which is a normal response, and in my knowledge and  experience, not one that is prevented by outside authorities under any ordinary circumstance. At any rate, he remains in the hospital, and something happens where he acts out in some manner. ...it is vague what he did and also for how long he kept up doing it, but it seems from a state of delirium highly plausible that he acted in a way that jeopardized his health and perhaps the health of v others. The hospital was either unable, or unwilling, to restrain him long term, and so he was sent to psychiatric inpatient, which unfortunate as that is, it is standard protocol for erratic hospital behavior, and at least some of the time for good reason.

I suggest we halt the revolution, if based on this story alone, at least until further information is known. I'm well aware of hospital negligence - my grandmother was a victim of negligence, which cost her life. I don't, however, take this or any other isolated incident as a jump to the "omg, they're coming to get us!" Scenario. Most people DO have medical rights, despite the rhetorical title of this thread. As for this particular young man from the Article, it's a very bizarre medical case, and without further information, I can't conclude either way whether the action taken by those involved was correct or not.  What I can say, even as a layman, is that despite what I'd call "spin" given by the article, it is not at all unusual to prescribe ambien, or ativan, or both, in response to insomnia....which is what they did. That's what those drugs are for, specifically ambien....why should I be outraged? The article wants to assume, but without stated evidence, that the drugs caused seizures, but without information, we cannot rule out other reasons for seizures, like perhaps a neurological disorder that may Also Keep soneone awake for 24 days (hard to even believe).

We need to think critically and gather factual information before we "get our guns", so to speak.  ;)

[61...]

Torbjorn, my take away from this is another example of how someone with an iatrogenic illness is misdiagnosed as "mental illness," treated with 22 psych drugs, and separated from his family.

The drugs that the hospital has forced on Bohn were too numerous for his mother to list in an interview — over 22 that she was aware of — and included Resperidone and Haloperiodol, among other powerful anti-psychotic drugs. Source:  Police State USA - Man's medical condition leads to indefinite detention, forced medication.

That being said, the documentation is coming from a blog called Police State USA, so some credibility is lost from the source, as far as I'm concerned.

My own experience with an iatrogenic illness is from being medicated for bipolar 1 disorder for 30 years. I'm not bipolar. I've only been manic while on AD's.

I listened to doctors for 30 years before finding out the illness I had was actually quite rare before these medications were invented (Source: Mad In America Website and supporting documentation: Polypharmacy/Bipolar illness and Risk for Bipolar Illness in Patients Initially Hospitalized for Unipolar Depression). I came off all AD's. After going through an intense withdrawal off of Klonopin without a single manic or depressive episode, I can assure anyone in the medical profession, I am of sound mind now.

But it took a bit of medication non-compliance for that to happen.

That's what the "revolution" is about - not guns, literally or even metaphorically.

Give me the facts, the history, the statistics. Arm me with truth. Don't lock me up again, pump me full of AD's, get alarmed when I start hallucinating and then tell me the AD's are "unmasking a mental illness that was already there" as you pump me full of antipsychotics. Enough already.

If the young man in the OP's thread had not had family to fight for his release, he might still be in that hospital on medications. We don't know for sure, but considering the statistics on the increasing rate of mental illness in this country, there's a statistical probability.

Sooo, something serious was wrong with the guy from Alaska, we don't know what Or why, but it was to the point he didn't sleep 24 days, according to the article. He was in intensive care and delirious, indicating significant trauma is likely and that he was not in a state to go home safely. It is unclear, unless I missed it, if the parents ever tried to to transfer him to another hospital when they didn't approve of treatment- which is a normal response, and in my knowledge and  experience, not one that is prevented by outside authorities under any ordinary circumstance. At any rate, he remains in the hospital, and something happens where he acts out in some manner. ...it is vague what he did and also for how long he kept up doing it, but it seems from a state of delirium highly plausible that he acted in a way that jeopardized his health and perhaps the health of v others. The hospital was either unable, or unwilling, to restrain him long term, and so he was sent to psychiatric inpatient, which unfortunate as that is, it is standard protocol for erratic hospital behavior, and at least some of the time for good reason.

I suggest we halt the revolution, if based on this story alone, at least until further information is known. I'm well aware of hospital negligence - my grandmother was a victim of negligence, which cost her life. I don't, however, take this or any other isolated incident as a jump to the "omg, they're coming to get us!" Scenario. Most people DO have medical rights, despite the rhetorical title of this thread. As for this particular young man from the Article, it's a very bizarre medical case, and without further information, I can't conclude either way whether the action taken by those involved was correct or not.  What I can say, even as a layman, is that despite what I'd call "spin" given by the article, it is not at all unusual to prescribe ambien, or ativan, or both, in response to insomnia....which is what they did. That's what those drugs are for, specifically ambien....why should I be outraged? The article wants to assume, but without stated evidence, that the drugs caused seizures, but without information, we cannot rule out other reasons for seizures, like perhaps a neurological disorder that may Also Keep soneone awake for 24 days (hard to even believe).

We need to think critically and gather factual information before we "get our guns", so to speak.  ;)

I'm surprised that this is your take away from the article, tor.  The story as it's told seems clear to me.  The system is broken.  On so many levels. 

"This combination of ego and unchecked power is exacerbated by the fact that the federal government finances the indefinite hospitalization of patients like Mr. Bohn and has effectively created financial incentives that will produce more cases just like this one.

Bret’s only hope for release is loud and boisterous outrage from the public.  Contact information is listed below for those who are willing to speak out."

Mindseeker's story hits so many of the important points that the article discusses.  My story and experience is not all that different.  So many others here at bb's have similar stories.  Around the net on other boards are many more stories.

These medications have side effects.  They aren't recognized.  The side effects lead to other bogus diagnoses.  At which point the game is on, and it's a loaded game.

There needs to be some checks and balances that work.   

What you are advocating is already in place.  The critical thinking is being done by the powerbrokers who have a vested interest in the system with little moderation from outside sources.

The system is broken when it doesn't work.  How many here would testify to that?

How many more victims are needed? 

I'm worried for those who don't know, and scared by those that don't understand, or care! 

[61...]

I'm surprised that this is your take away from the article, tor.  The story as it's told seems clear to me.  The system is broken.  On so many levels. 

"This combination of ego and unchecked power is exacerbated by the fact that the federal government finances the indefinite hospitalization of patients like Mr. Bohn and has effectively created financial incentives that will produce more cases just like this one.

Bret’s only hope for release is loud and boisterous outrage from the public.  Contact information is listed below for those who are willing to speak out."

Mindseeker's story hits so many of the important points that the article discusses.  My story and experience is not all that different.  So many others here at bb's have similar stories.  Around the net on other boards are many more stories.

These medications have side effects.  They aren't recognized.  The side effects lead to other bo ;)gus diagnoses.  At which point the game is on, and it's a loaded game.

What you are advocating is already in place.  The critical thinking is being done by the powerbrokers who have a vested interest in the system with little moderation from outside sources.

The system is broken when it doesn't work.  How many here would testify to that?

I'm worried for those who don't know, and scared by those that don't understand, or care! 

I'm worried, too, BeauBeau. If it happened to me for 30 years, I know it happened to a lot more people. That misdiagnosis took away so much, including my freedom on several occasions and the ability to have a family.

It's incomprehensible on so many levels.

It's going to take a long time to process this, and doing so with limited cognitive skills is proving more difficult. Get well first. Save the world second.  ;)

These medications have side effects.  They aren't recognized.  The side effects lead to other bo ;)gus diagnoses.  At which point the game is on, and it's a loaded game.

I'm worried, too, BeauBeau. If it happened to me for 30 years, I know it happened to a lot more people. That misdiagnosis took away so much, including my freedom on several occasions and the ability to have a family.

It's incomprehensible on so many levels.

It's going to take a long time to process this, and doing so with limited cognitive skills is proving more difficult. Get well first. Save the world second.  ;)

Me too, MS.  These side effects are the true disaster, IMO.  I really never knew, or understood.  I do now, and it hurts, badly.

To some extent the physical addiction was my choice, to moderate the anxiety, a side effect itself that I didn't fully grasp.  The family thing and some of my freedoms, I never saw....

I'm calmly fighting like hell to re-establish the family I have left.  Many are still here.  But I'll always wonder about having my own family. 

As I look around, I see I missed so much.  That's the part that hurts.  Badly.  I'm less of a person for having missed the opportunity of having my own family.  I so enjoy the brief periods with my nieces and nephews, and am in awe at what I see when visiting with other families. 

How old are you beau? Can't you still start a family? Many men do it later in life.

Here's the deal...I'm saddened enough by what I missed out on that it's a huge motivator for me to focus on the here and now.

That means trying to live and experience in a healthy way where I am in my life as it exists today.  There's no way to go back so I don't dwell. 

If a family is in my future, I'll welcome that.  I'm not certain that's what I'm looking for now. 

Honestly I'm not certain of what I'm looking for, just that I missed out on all that.  I sense that without those experiences.....I'm just less than I should be. 

Do I need a family now to fill that void?  I don't know the answer to that...

I'm finding the pain that I have about my past doesn't keep me from enjoying living my life today.  I'm grateful for that.  Everyday!

I find little value in living in the past and that makes this discussion difficult.    ;)

[61...]

I hear you, BeauBeau. I'm still processing this and trying to look forward. Every now and then I catch myself thinking, "what if I'd caught this misdiagnosis at 17 instead of 46."

And I have to redirect my thoughts.

I'm thinking it's something that I'd be better off dealing with once I'm off all medication. Although appreciating what I have accomplished in life and looking to the future seems more and more relevant and makes me much happier than thinking about the past.  :)

Although appreciating what I have accomplished in life and looking to the future seems more and more relevant and makes me much happier than thinking about the past.  :)

This is it, MS.    :)

As my mind has cleared and I'm able to fill up with healthy thoughts my days are so much better.  I don't need to go back and re-evaluate.  The past is just history I don't want to repeat.  It's all so much easier now after the withdrawals are over.

The present is what is important.  I honestly focus on what is here and now, not what happened.

I don't have time for the interferences of the past.

:smitten:

Edited for more clarity

Beau

I was responding to a post about pain over the past and was talking about possibility for the future. Not making any suggestion just pointing out that if one is "in awe of what they see with other families" they needn't close out the possibility.

I have tremendous problems myself with regret over mainly the recent past and how my own addiction has adversely affected my own wife and family. I am still not off my drug let alone recovered so if you are able to live entirely in the present i envy you. I guess I misunderstood because because the posts i read and responded to seemed to be about pain and regret. So never mind :).

Beau

I was responding to a post about pain over the past and was talking about possibility for the future. Not making any suggestion just pointing out that if one is "in awe of what they see with other families" they needn't close out the possibility.

I have tremendous problems myself with regret over mainly the recent past and how my own addiction has adversely affected my own wife and family. I am still not off my drug let alone recovered so if you are able to live entirely in the present i envy you. I guess I misunderstood because because the posts i read and responded to seemed to be about pain and regret. So never mind :).

No worries, bobo.  I redirected a little.  I do think about the past all the time, as I said using it as a motivator to the present.

I feel all the pain and regrets with a clarity I never had before.  The experiences are very real.  I use them to search out other healthier avenues of living...and for now it's helpful.  I'm still very young in my healing without all the answers.    :)