A project idea to get the word out about benzos

[f8...]

[f8...]

Almost hourly we see advertisements for various new drugs on the television.  The FDA requires these ads review possible side-effects, and for many products those warnings exceed the time allotted to promoting the product.

I think it would be fun and informative for somebody to create a 60-second 'commercial of the 'benefits' and risks of something like alprazolam (I wouldn't use the registered 'Xanax' trade name).  Spend 10 seconds showing a person living in bliss (skipping through a poppy field in slow motion), then do 50 seconds of increasing anxiety, depression, panic and all of the withdrawal symptoms that we put up with.  It would be like a SNL commercial spoof.

If done well, the video would make it into the mainstream.  I'm sure there are a few talented video producers in this forum.  I'd be happy to participate in such a project (script development, but not videography).  I'm guessing that lots of you might have some ideas of what to include.  I know we have musicians, so we'd have access to original/appropriate music.

What say you?

I think that's a great idea! How else is this going to become mainstream? Everything falls on deaf ears otherwise. I don't know about the logistics, but you have a potentially very powerful idea, one that Big Pharma has been using for a long time to get more people to be their prey. This will hopefully have the opposite effect of deterring people from starting on these terrible pills. Go for it!!!

[f8...]
I was hoping that somebody else would 'go for it'.  I do a lot of photography (astrophotography mostly), but don't have much experience doing videos.  Maybe it's time for me to learn a new skill?

What about a YouTube video to begin with? I really think it would be something worth doing if someone doesn't mind being looked at by however many people want to view it. This is not my forte at all.

[f8...]
A YouTube video was what I was shooting for.  I may have found a videographer.  Need to find a field of flowers (not easy - I live in the desert).

[05...]

Hi, badsocref.

I don't have any video experience, but I'm interested in what you're doing.

Have you seen the Open Paradigm Project website?

http://openparadigmproject.com/

They have a lot of videos of people talking about their experiences with the mental health system. I think there's more awareness of it then there used to be, but unfortunately it's hard to get these types of videos to go viral. Maybe the SNL type spoof would have more of a chance of going viral. That would be cool!  :thumbsup:

Finding a field of flowers in a desert won't be easy. There's one drug commercial where a woman is sitting somewhere and talking about how the drug she's taking is the right one for her (for A-Fib), that she's talked to her doctor about it. She's smiling while being active as a photographer as the long list of side effects is being read off. Or it's something similar to that. Maybe find a bench somewhere in a quiet park? It seems that a lot of drug commercials take place in some quiet, serene place or with family and friends. At any rate, they all seem to have happy faces of course! 

It's a good idea, but you need something to really catch the eye. Look at how the recent "All by myself" LV airport video went viral. It's clever and it really stood out. Having said that, I'm not at all creative in this respect, so I have no real suggestions, but if I think of something I'll post it.

bad,

This made me laugh, on a really shitey day too.

it's a great idea but seriously in my head played out like an snl short. If only they would list the effects or "possible" side effects of stopping xanax on the med package, not just 'do not stop taking this medication abruptly, withought talking with your clueless doctor' I seriously doubt a commercial would work unless people like us funded it. A youtube spoof would be great tho! I already laugh ot the drug they are pushing for blind people (24 something) Not to offend anyone, I laugh at most of them listing the side efects that totally counter the symptom.

You could have a person with family out camping, and laughing then thy realise they taken there last xanax. Then show them wandering around the woods and have the happy music get dark, End it in salt flats alone still listing sxs.

Those are really good! I think it's a great idea, badsocref, about doing a commercial like the Pristiq one only with benzos. Sounds like there's a lot of hope here for getting the word out that way!!

• 3 weeks later...

The ads have to go...simple as that.  "They" did it with cigarette ads..whoever 'they' were might be interested in taking on the psychopharma industry...what with the amount of data regarding the dangers of brain damage from benzos and probably any psychoactive concoction being swallowed for any length of time..If these weren't so stupid, they would be funny..

blessings, NL

Hi there

Best of luck with the project. I loved the Kitty Xanax one. It really grabbed my attention, much more than the others. I know nothing about making videos so have no idea what might be "doable".

We don't have adverts for drugs in the UK thank goodness. 

All the best.

LF

I think that's a great idea!  This one's really well done, for all of us needing some comedic relief!

In all seriousness, though, I've often thought about how, with the use of social media and starting a petition on change.org, we all could really make a difference.  Getting the mainstream media to pick it up might be a little more difficult, as I'm sure they're terrified of ticking off Big Pharma and losing all their advertising dollars.

Have been giving this topic some thought.I am a thinker rather than a doer so may be over analysing the whole thing.  :idiot:

Picking up on the last post, there is a petition at change.org to be sent to FDA.

I also don't understand why this cause is not better known. Maybe those who have serious problems with these drugs isn't so high. Nobody knows!! It is the same in the UK and Pharma companies don't advertise here.  I have read that the UK govt just doesn't want it publicised because it is such a sorry tale although the current Prime Minister admitted as much to the media last year.  There have been TV programmes in the UK, this one in 2001, for example

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/tranquillisers/1312741.stm

GPs in the UK seem to be well aware now of the dangers of benzo prescribing but not the withdrawal syndrome. Information about that might only attract interest from a minority.  I just don't know. I was on nitrazepam for 40 years and had read a fair bit on the subject off and on. Knew withdrawal could be difficult but it was only when I started to experience it that I sought information on it. If I had known how bad it was going to be I might not have even tried it.

Sorry for rambling. Just trying to think through who the target audience would be for the video.

If the plan is to reach as many people as possible with the video, the content would have to have broad appeal.  Withdrawal symptoms may not have broad appeal. Anyone else got thoughts on this.

LF

• 2 weeks later...

I have video experience and would love to do a documentary on benzos but I have to heal a little more and get my life back on track before I can think about tackling that kind of project.

The problem I see with a "spoof" kind of thing is that it is going to be hard enough to get anyone to listen and to take this seriously even if everything is right on point. And I don't think there is any way to capture the true gravity of this in a very short period of time.

I do think that a 60+ minute documentary complete with patient and doctor interviews and LOTS of facts and references to back up claims that is done in a thought provoking manner would be great though.

Maybe when I get better I might consider doing this. The initial plan was to write a book but no one has done a documentary so that might be a better choice. I bet I could dig up funding for it. Just need to get myself to a better place in life and I will definitely consider it.

I have video experience and would love to do a documentary on benzos but I have to heal a little more and get my life back on track before I can think about tackling that kind of project.

The problem I see with a "spoof" kind of thing is that it is going to be hard enough to get anyone to listen and to take this seriously even if everything is right on point. And I don't think there is any way to capture the true gravity of this in a very short period of time.

I do think that a 60+ minute documentary complete with patient and doctor interviews and LOTS of facts and references to back up claims that is done in a thought provoking manner would be great though.

Maybe when I get better I might consider doing this. The initial plan was to write a book but no one has done a documentary so that might be a better choice. I bet I could dig up funding for it. Just need to get myself to a better place in life and I will definitely consider it.

Joan Gadsby has done a documentary called 'Our Pill Epidemic: The Shocking Story of a Society Hooked on Drugs', it is available through her website.

http://www.addictionbyprescription.com/video.php

I highly recommend her book 'Addiction By Prescription', it is by far the best benzo book I've read.

You could email and ask her advice.

Chinook :thumbsup:

I'd be happy to do the music for this. Ironically, that was my highly successful career before Klonopin, and I composed for many big pharma ads. Never :30s, always :60s because of the "side effects."

Oh the irony !